Tour De France advice (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are off to France for 2 weeks at the beginning of July and plan on watching 2 stages of the Tour while we are there. Have any Funsters been that could give us some pointers. Do we need to get parked up 2 days ahead or will be be able to arrive and park up on the verge the evening before? We are unsure how busy it will be and how quickly the good spots get taken. Any advice from any one who has been would be greatly appreciated. ::bigsmile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You will definitely need to be at least 2 days in advance for popular spots like huez.. You may find a parking place/aire near less well known spots with space.. And you can walj/cycle to the route

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Two days at least in advance is good - my system is to get to the first stage I want to see two days before. Then after all the support traffic and other traffic have cleared the area head at full speed to a stage two days away, watch out for the Germans & Dutch as they are nutters when driving their vans between stages. The best spots for me are near the hair pin bends in the mountains. I am off to the Pyrenees to see two stages in the first week of July so look out for the stickers! Take plenty of supplies if going into the mountains as the best spots are usually remote, or park at the Ski stations and walk or cycle the last few kilometres up the hill. Even if you dont drink it take extra red wine as I find whoever camps near you will want to have a party :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Two days at least in advance is good - my system is to get to the first stage I want to see two days before. Then after all the support traffic and other traffic have cleared the area head at full speed to a stage two days away, watch out for the Germans & Dutch as they are nutters when driving their vans between stages. The best spots for me are near the hair pin bends in the mountains. I am off to the Pyrenees to see two stages in the first week of July so look out for the stickers! Take plenty of supplies if going into the mountains as the best spots are usually remote, or park at the Ski stations and walk or cycle the last few kilometres up the hill. Even if you dont drink it take extra red wine as I find whoever camps near you will want to have a party :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds good, at the moment we are thinking of seeing stages 7 and 9 so we will look out for Funster stickers. I bought my flagpole at the Peterborough show and my daughter in law gave me a Union Jack flag to fly. I should have bought a Funster flag too! This is our first Tour De France so really looking forward to it and will definitely follow your advice on the wine!! :thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Look out for Leltel they do many stages of the tour. You can't miss them especially if Lesley is wearing her Union Jack Onesie.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In the more remote stages or remote parts of any stage you can arrive later than 2 days before although Camping Cars will adorn most of the easy to park areas.

Mountain stages are nice (accent) as it takes some time for them to pass and there's usually a break away from the peloton.

Get your side burns out as well as your stickers:roflmto:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I've just had a quick look at the route. If you can get to stage 4 the team time. you should be able to walk amongst the team buses before the race and see the cyclists warming up.its always a great atmosphere and its only a short 25km time trial.

Sonja

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
A couple of years ago we stayed at an aire at Mareuil Sur Ay, and then biked to Epernay to watch the tour de france, about 20 mins bike ride, it was great atmosphere

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Coolbeanz8

We will be in the Marseillan Plage area in middle to late June and hope to follow on to see the Montpellier to Albi stage somewhere. I have looked for a more informative route 7 itinery, therebye being able to pick a spot to watch. At the moment I cannot find any.

This will be our first tour also, we might cross paths......who knows :Smile:

Dai

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hi Coolbeanz8

We will be in the Marseillan Plage area in middle to late June and hope to follow on to see the Montpellier to Albi stage somewhere. I have looked for a more informative route 7 itinery, therebye being able to pick a spot to watch. At the moment I cannot find any.

Dai

I ordered the official Tour De France guide which should arrive any day so if there are more detailed routes I will let you know, hopefully see you over there :thumb:

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
As others have said, with mountain stages you will need to get there a couple of days before.
We have followed the Tour for the last few years and have had no trouble getting a parking spot on a grass verge the night before a stage.
As Sonja says....look out for the TuTu. We are following stages 10 through to 18/19 this year...four flagpoles, bunting, masses of flags (including funster one) to go out each night :whatthe:
Try and get near to feed stations if you want to try and get bottles.

Enjoy ::bigsmile:

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
well Bradley has pulled out of the tour......sulking perhaps just you cant lead the team? Come on Chris win it on your own this year without having to wait for him:RollEyes:

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Will be going to the Annecy stages on 19th/20th July.

Decided to park up and follow the riders on my Chopper, they've got no chance !

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hi Coolbeanz8

Dai

well the Tour magazine finally arrived but there are no clearer maps than what is already available on the website so hard to say where would be a good place to watch. :Sad:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
And a funsters flag for us poor sods who have to watch on the TV !!:cry::cry::cry:

What happened to the Devil ? did he appear last year ???:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Yes he was there, maybe I will bump in to him and I can get a photo with him!! How funny. I might take my son's Dangermouse outfit so you can all spot me easily!! ::bigsmile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This was us last Friday on Col de la Croix Fry on stage 19. We arrived on the hill 12'oclock and parked around the corner, then walked up to the route itself at around 2pm, the caravanne arrived at 3:30pm and then the first riders around 4:30 or so. It absolutely lashed it down just before the riders arrived so we had a rather wet afternoon although we did have dry clothes back in the van.

DSCF5575.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back