Tour de France 2016 (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Those of you who like to follow the TDF, the course for the 2016 route is now available on line, Betting for the winner in 2016 shows Froomee at evens.

Also on line is the 2016 route the Giro.

colyboy

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
There is also a good TDF app, TDF by soda. On first look it seems to be good

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
We are going to do this next year (never done it before)
can some of you experienced motor homes advise me the best way down to Pau please ?
Looking for a couple of good stopping points on the way down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
RS SPIKE. As you have never seen the TDF "live" can I offer a couple suggestions. The best place to see the "tour" is on one of the large mountains around Pau. Around May 2016 the official TDF programme will be available, in this you will be able to see the EXACT route. When you have chosen the mountain, can I suggest you get there at least TWO days before they are due. The Police will let you park anywhere SO LONG AS YOU ARE OFF THE ROAD!! Arriving two days before the race I can assure you will not be bored, there is so much going on the French love to party and I am sure you will be invited to join in. Plus what you don't see on TV is what is called the "caravan" will proceed the race by about 2 - 3 hours, the "caravan" contains all the advertising floats, throwing out loads of goodies some good and some crape! but I bet you will be like the rest of us you will be chasing up and down the road picking up as much as you can!! We plan to be in that area and see about three stages, this will take some careful planning but its all good fun. Look out for our Devon and/or Funster flag.

Any more help let me know, regards a route down I am sure someone will come up with a good plan or do as we do follow your nose!!!

colyboy

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Advice as above or - if you can - park nearby and ride the climb to see what it's really like:censored:
Take a folding brolly to keep the sun off and remember in the high mountains the weather can change very quickly - a lovely day can become cold very quickly.
We had intended to get to Col du Glandon 3 days early this year in order to get a good spot - but it was being used 3 times. Sadly had to cancel. Use Google street view to look for parking spots in advance.
Enjoy!

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We love doing le Tour. Started following it during the Lance Armstong era and used a tent with a few mates.

On one occasion we did Huez, it was the only time they've done a time trial up it, they said that there was over half a million people on the hill!
On the 100th race we did it again and plonked ourselves on the same corner to watch the race unfold. Sat behind us were the same group of Germans belting out the same music thru their loudspeakers - the atmosphere was brilliant!

We normally try to do 3 or 4 stages, this takes a bit of planning and any more is just plain hard work. They're doing Ventoux again this year so that will be "a must do" for us. I like to do the mountain stages, get there a couple of days before race day and do the hills with the thousands of other followers.

As mentioned, an official tour guide in english comes out about 6 weeks before the race, its in a box with a map and a couple of other goodies in it, costs a tenner. Its on sale in most newsagents but if you get it from WH Smiths, you get a water bottle with even more goodies!

Also look out for the bottles!!!!!! On many of the hills the team seigneurs have a pile of water bottles to replenish the riders as they pass, when we were at Aix les Thermes my wife managed to scab a bottle that was for Cav. Result!

Terry
DSCN1014.JPG

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Re the TDF programme as said above this comes out at about 6-8 weeks prior. For the last few years I have bought the one that comes in a YELLOW box at I think last year £12+. This programme not only gives you a brilliant full size map of France with route marked on it and the rest of the contents include an excellent full course details with EVERY road they will be travelling on and every mile (Kms) and almost every minute they will be passing a certain part of the route.

colyboy

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We bought our MH earlier this year just in time to go to the Pyrenees for le Tour. We had done this several times before but with a tent.

We found arriving the day before (early afternoon) was enough providing you avoid the famous mountain climbs like the Tourmalet. If possible aim at the next to last climb of the day rather than the last which will be much busier and means you won't be able to move on as early as the roads reopen behind the race as it goes past. We did 3 consecutive days this way this year managed to get at the summit of the penultimate climbs each day. You will value you onboard facilities while there!

Much easier to find na place for the MH rather than the tent as we didn't need toworry about putting pegs in!

If we haven't been matched with our future children by summer we will be going again.

Jen

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Just a note,,i saw with interest 2 days ago the team sky motorhome for sale on ebay,nice mh it was, if someone bought that and did the tdf surely you would get to park anywhere,even the finish line !! lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back