Toughest sport - Tennis anyone ? (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Having some banter with a friend recently about the toughest sport to take part in and that got me thinking. I am not really a tennis fan and will pass on watching it anytime but I do believe singles tennis is perhaps the toughest sport (or maybe cycling- Tour de France?). The physical endurance and psychological test it puts on players can be quite astonishing especially when you think of the Grand Slam tournaments that can last for up to six hours (one Wimbledon match was about 10 hours I think). It is purely gladiatorial insofar as pitting 1 against 1 with no team mates to assist. Furthermore its not just the technique (preparation, timing, footwork, good technique on the forehand, backhand, volley, serve) that most makes tennis so difficult, but rather, it's the mental aspect. If you lose heart after a dropped game or set then your likely to lose the whole match so one has the physc themselves up again and again and conquer that initial disappointment. The concentration and physical stress as the body has to stop start stop start for each serve or return means you have to be at the absolute peak of fitness throughout the season. What do you think ?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
A mate of mine is a proffessional pork pie eating champion!! He has to drink about 10 pints and eat at least 3 fast food meals a day so he can expand his stomache ! now thats the peak of physical fitness in my book,,he works hard maintaining his 22 stone body shape,and never over exerts himself,,in fact he gets tired walking up town to sign on,,,what a sportsman eh !!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Boxing I would say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Motocross has been mooted as the toughest sport in the past. It takes a huge amount of fitness, physical strength, skill, mental strength, stamina and a big pair of b***s. Just google any motocross race and take a look. And if you really want proof have a look at some of the crashes and see how often they get straight back on the bike.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Poker !! You have to work out a constantly changing set of opponent's risk profiles. You may be sitting at the tables for up to 10 hours until the next morning. And the card shuffling can be quite draining !!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Having some banter with a friend recently about the toughest sport to take part in and that got me thinking. I am not really a tennis fan and will pass on watching it anytime but I do believe singles tennis is perhaps the toughest sport (or maybe cycling- Tour de France?). The physical endurance and psychological test it puts on players can be quite astonishing especially when you think of the Grand Slam tournaments that can last for up to six hours (one Wimbledon match was about 10 hours I think). It is purely gladiatorial insofar as pitting 1 against 1 with no team mates to assist. Furthermore its not just the technique (preparation, timing, footwork, good technique on the forehand, backhand, volley, serve) that most makes tennis so difficult, but rather, it's the mental aspect. If you lose heart after a dropped game or set then your likely to lose the whole match so one has the physc themselves up again and again and conquer that initial disappointment. The concentration and physical stress as the body has to stop start stop start for each serve or return means you have to be at the absolute peak of fitness throughout the season. What do you think ?

Maria Sharapova just revealed her secret for tennis success.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My in laws are mad about tennis and have their own court.

Last summer I decided to take on their serve machine at full power.

About a 100 balls coming at me quick.

They had to scrape me off the court:D

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Not getting too many serious replies on this, so I will tell you my experience. I have always played sport, since the age of 10 years old. Tried Rugby, Hockey and had a decent go at football for many years. Tried marshall art's when younger as well. I'm knocking on a bit now, but have been a club tennis player for the last 20 years. I can certainly say that because of the nature of the sport, I have had more injuries (some quite extended, resulting in operations) than any other sport I have been involved in. I have also seen young players pick up long term injuries that have ended promising careers before they even get started. I don't play much singles anymore as my body will not take it, but I still manage to clock up 8 hours a week on the courts - in fact I played this evening, it was 4 degrees, bloody freezing.

Keith :cool:

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
National hunt racing.

Permanently fasting but need mountains of strength and stamina.

Need to control a horse you may have never sat on before.

Multiple races in a day at multiple venues

Most jockeys have broken multiple bones multiple times, sometimes racing with broken bones.

No contest really.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
Poker !! You have to work out a constantly changing set of opponent's risk profiles. You may be sitting at the tables for up to 10 hours until the next morning. And the card shuffling can be quite draining !!
Played last night - still recovering :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Motocross has been mooted as the toughest sport in the past. It takes a huge amount of fitness, physical strength, skill, mental strength, stamina and a big pair of b***s. Just google any motocross race and take a look. And if you really want proof have a look at some of the crashes and see how often they get straight back on the bike.
This... top guys are machines..wobblers like me not so much, but it is hard work.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Combat sports, especially MMA, due to levels of strength and stamina fitness required, the technical prowess across both striking and grappling disciplines required to be competitive, mental toughness and agility under pressure, just getting through the bloody training never mind actual combat.

But then some motorcycle racing requires similar traits, whether MotoGP, Dakar, MX etc.

Darts or snooker anyone? ;)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Try racing a F1 sidecar especially as a passenger for say Tim Reeves 7 times World champion

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
7 marathons in 7 days in 7 different countries (Mr Fines)
PS. Sorry about not being serious enough, but it is Motorhome "Fun".
Mitch.. :LOL:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Try racing a F1 sidecar especially as a passenger for say Tim Reeves 7 times World champion
In my yoof I tried sidecar moto cross, absolutely cream crackered after twenty minutes and the driver said he went gentle with me. :whistle:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
As the OP said, it has to be tennis. Which other sport takes that much out of you that you need to be on drugs for 10 years?;)

That's why I still admire Lance Armstrong so much, when I was on drugs I couldn't even find my bloody bike let alone ride it ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Think I'll stick to gentle e-biking or kayaking.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Speedway. Loads of collarbone injuries, one leg bigger than the other and a streak of madness a necessity. Modern day riders must clock up more air/rooad miles than any sportsman as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back