Total weight of laden Motorhome

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by BFM14, Apr 5, 2015.

1. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

We are just about to set up on first trip to Europe going for 2 months and would appreciate some advice on weight.

My motorhome has a permissable total weight of 3500 kg and at the moment we are about 4% overweight. Is there any leeway if I was stopped and weighed.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

is the 3500kg your logbook weight or the weight given on the vin plate.

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Legally there is no leeway, 4% is 140kg I would say you are pushing your luck. Did you weigh it with full tanks & what about food easy to have 15kg or more in food plus wine & beer realistically in full running order you could be nearer 200 kg over.

We normally run 50 - 70 kg over so I have decided to upgrade to 3850kg, just ordered 5 new tyres so I can take full advantage of rear axle loading (van is less than a year old).

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

of interest, they say up to 5% leeway..

http://startups.co.uk/penalties-for-overloaded-vans-what-are-the-legal-limits/

and Gov site .. also says 5% and over

https://www.gov.uk/roadside-vehicle-checks-for-commercial-drivers/fixed-penalties

How much can you be fined for an overloaded van?
    If a police or VOSA officer finds you to be lugging around more than your legal maximum weight, they will impose a fixed penalty fine, the amount of which depends on how much you have gone over the legal limit. The current penalties are below:

Amount over limit Fine
    5%-10% £100
    10%-15% £200
    15-30% £300
    More than 30% Court summons

As you can see, the authorities allow a leeway of up to 5% before they hand out a fine, unless the excess weight is more than one tonne.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LaMB

LaMB Funster

Being overweight is an absolute offence, if you get stopped and weighed, you will more than likely be fined and definitely not allowed to continue until you have lowered the weight to be legal again. If I remember correctly there is a bit of a sliding scale on how much overweight you are, and this would determine whether an 'on the spot fine' would be issued or a trip to the magistrates court. Your insurance would also be void.

I think there are a lot of motor-homes running overweight, but the chances of being stopped are less likely than with a commercial vehicle, but I wouldn't risk it, especially in Europe. You should also make sure that you do not exceed individual axle weights.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I guess insurance might not pay out either if they learned the vehicle was over-weight. 140Kg is a lot to lose - cutting back on bikes, BBQ, food, booze, might help to some weight. Throwing out a few pairs of socks isn't going to help though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

The OP is going into Europe, doubt there will be any leeway there.!!!
    Get stopped and get done, cash on the spot and you have to reduce weight there and then...

Your leaving for a trip Knowing illegal. ! Have a re-think and trim where you can. Then on return make some decisions on how best to solve the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  8. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Not sure how your insurance knows you are overweight

9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Van goes down road, van hits and kills someone.. Maybe not even drivers fault, someone stepping out...
    Police cart off the van and I am sure they will weight it. !,
    Thats maybe just one outcome...

• Like Like x 1
  10. rosalan

rosalan Funster

It is not just the total weight that matters it is the specified weight for each axle. Because of weight distribution, the chances are that the rear axle is taking the most weight and where any problems might arise. How much water do you carry? I have a fresh water tank taking 120 litres of water or 120kg in weight. Removing water could be one way of reducing weight.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Also you can get fined for 3 separate offenses, Front axle over weight, Rear axle over weight & total gross weight.

The 5% suggested is only a guideline there is no legal leeway and that is only in the UK, bear in mind the French don't even have any leeway on speed limits.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, UK law only covers the UK .. but it is a legal leeway.. penalties start at over 5%

I refer you to the Enforcement Sanctions Policy from D&VSA https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/enforcement-sanctions-policy

WEIGHING EQUIPMENT
    Whatever type of weighing equipment is used, Examiners must ensure that all relevant requirements of the Consolidated Code of Practice for the Enforcement Weighing of Vehicles are complied with in full. Also, an overloading guidance leaflet should be handed to all drivers.

GRADUATION OF FIXED PENALTY NOTICES
    £100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
    £200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
    £300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%
    Prosecute over 30% or over 5 tonnes on axle, gross or train if under 30%
    *This may be a single axle or compensating axles where the individual axle weights are added together for the purposes of calculating an overload and which are therefore counted a single axle.
    In situations where there are multiple overload offences only one overloading prohibition notice will be issued per vehicle or vehicle/trailer combination. Further detail may however be shown on a continuation page.
    For multiple overload offences only one fixed penalty notice will be issued in respect of the most serious overload offence

13. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Can someone tell me whether individual axle weights are relevant to PVCs? When I had mine weighed I only got the overall weight given on the document.
    Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Yup ALL vehicles

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Yes they are relevant to all vehicles. The axle weight will be shown on the vehicle plate.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If you weighed the vehicle in full running order with water tank full (and maybe something in the waste tank) plus all your food I would suggest you drain off most of the water first and then rethink how much food you are taking.

Our fresh water tank hold 100 lts so we know we can "dump" say 80 kg immediately if we need to.

Maybe go on a diet when you get home!

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If you are just a bit over you will probably be told to dump the excess before you can continue.
    how you do it is up to you but obviously you cant just dump stuff in the weighing area.

Easiest way, if you are carrying water, is to dump that.

18. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Going to France for 2 months and overloaded before you even leave - not the way I'd like to start a trip.

What are you driving and how much user payload does it have? (What does it weigh empty?).

Jettison enough to bring you legal and with some spare to be able to take on stuff while you're on the road.

Not nice to spend 2 months worrying about being stopped and 2 months driving without insurance cover.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

Thanks for all the advice. We have a Knaus Sky TI 650 MF.

I think we have the problem with weight as due to long trip we have had the following recently fitted on to the motorhome.

Spare wheel and carrier
    Additional leisure battery

We have been through the motorhome and taken out a lot of things and drained the water and now need to have another trip to weighbridge. Don't think we have lost enough weight so may have to consider leaving our 2 bikes or the spare wheel behind!

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Only half fill diesel and top up to half full each fuel stop .