total novices

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by pasturesnew, Feb 21, 2010.

1. pasturesnew

pasturesnew Read Only Funster

HI , we are totally new to motorhoming having been avid boaters for 7 years! We currently are selling our boat :Blush:and are on the look out for a motorhome. :Eeek: as we feel the need to see more of the world!!:BigGrin:was wondering if anyone has any views on the best way to purchase ... privately or dealerships? any reputable dealers who are worth trying
    any motorhomes that have a good name or bad ... any advice will be greatly received. (we have between 30 -32K once boat is sold) ideally one with at least 4 seatbelts as will have passengers on occasions. Have been looking on line and visited a few dealers in our area so have some idea of the layout we need.

2. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

flyingwelcome
    Welcome to the forum :Smile:
    As a relative neewbie myself, I wouldn't presume to advise on a make or layout of the Motorhome, as this comes down to personal needs & requirements.
    It's nearly time for the Newark show (End of March) & this will be attended by loads of "Funsters" who would be able to give you practical advise :Smile:

3. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Have a look at my post on "Wants Needs and Must Haves" today!

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Hi welcome to motorhomefun

5. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Snap! I have been into boats all my life as well as camper vans and camping. I had a four berth cruiser on Ullswater and in the Winter on Windermere for years. Mrs D never bothered with it though so we bought our first Motorhome in 2008 in order to do some travelling together. Best thing we ever did.

We bought private and saved quite a bit but your budget is £10 more than ours and you do have to be careful. We looked at loads before deciding on the layout we wanted and finally the actual van we wanted (A Kontiki). I would take your time and be prepared to do some travelling and lots of looking.

If you want the best of both worlds why dont you buy this to go with your van?

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=772&cat=all

Sorry couldnt resist!

Good luck
    Barry

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi and welcome to Fun, you dont say where you are so difficult to advise.

Peter

7. adenough

adenough Read Only Funster

I want to know why you are dumping the boat. Of course I'm a nosy git.

Jim.

8. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

How pastursnew and :welcome:

regards
    bald eagle:thumb:

9. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome.

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

10. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Hi there and welcome to the friendly forum.

The Boat & Caravan show starts on Tuesday (23rd) - Sunday (28th) at the NEC.

Maybe worth a visit as there will be a wide selection of Motor Caravans on display and you should get some ideas and information about dealers along with loads of ancillary items for sale.

11. KenandSue

KenandSue Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome,

We are also very new to this site, and to motorhoming. The only advice I would give is to look at as many units as you can. We did exactly that, although as storage was a big issue for us, we only looked at units for sale at our dealer/storage place. We very quickly realised what we wanted and liked in a motorhome, and also what we didn't. When you see the layout that is right for you, you will know it instantly - it will feel like 'home'

Good luck and happy hunting!!

12. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome. As others say take your time to look at as many models as you can. We had in mind what we thought we needed and ended up buying a motorhome with a completely different layout, and bigger, as we didnt want to end up trading in months later after finding we had gone too small.

With a Motorhome you have the freedom to go where you want, when you want. We sold our Motor cruiser as we found it never got used to go on the Broads, too many holiday makers, and was moored up at the Yacht Club and used only at weekends. The Motorhome is used most weekends, this time towing boats, as we are away at various events at sailing clubs around the country, well worth the purchase.

Good luck in selling your boat and in your search for a Motorhome.

Dale

13. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

14. wp1234

wp1234

Did the same as you last year sold by boat (rubbish weather for two years on the trot did my head in).I’ve now bought my first motorhome and so far I think I got it more or less right.
    I visited a few shows and spent two days going around every motorhome sales pitch in the North West and Midlands before eventually buying privately from a very nice and helpful couple.
    My tip is to do the research and ask as many stupid questions as you can when your going round,try the beds and think of storage difficulties. Be willing to compromise a bit since I don’t think the perfect layout exists.
    Good luck and good hunting

ps - it really isn’t that difficult to get into the swing of this motorhoming business and lots of good people on here are happy to help out with advice, the one thing it is though is FUN

15. davaud

davaud Read Only Funster

buying motorhome

hi and welcome to the site thats a lot of money to spend to find its not quite right and you wished you gone with the other one you saw well you could consider hiring one for a short time might give you a better idea of what you really want good hunting anyway

16. allie sommerville

allie sommerville Read Only Funster

They say that one of the happiest days of your life is when you buy a boat, and another one is when you sell it :RollEyes:

We had one too, but the weather was never right, and if it was, the tide in the Solent wasn't!

At least with a Motorhome, you can head off whenever you want :BigGrin:

17. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

hi and a nice big welcome:BigGrin::BigGrin:

18. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

wellcome

a big wellcome from froghopper, hope you get the fun and help i have, dealers ? of course theres our John, but if you live near portsmouth, give Danny And his son Daniel a call at P & P campers, Gosport, on web, honest, trusted and fair, been going some 30 years, at most shows, have known them about 12 years, bought 2, 4 friends very happy with what they got,, no relation, no connections, just nice people,, cheers, Barry:thumb::thumb::thumb: