Total Novice!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RichardofYork, Mar 29, 2012.

1. RichardofYork

RichardofYork Read Only Funster

Hello there

Up to a couple of days ago, we'd never really thought about Motor-Homes and caravans on narrow country roads drove us insane. Many years ago when I was in my 20's/30's I owned and at one time lived on various boats ...but then I got married and all that had to go................... but I digress.

My wife and I have had a dream that when I retired, we'd relocate to France but are now finding out that it's not all plain sailing buying in mainland Europe if you can't afford to keep your British property as well, so we suddenly thought about getting a used Motor-Home and touring round looking for property.

We found a local dealership in our home town and went to get some information. We expected to stay about 30 minutes. 3 hours or so later and reeling with information both from the sales guy and a couple we met there who introduced us to this website, we are just becoming aware that we need to know an awful lot more in order that we can assess how little we actually know about any of this! Furthermore, we've also realised that if we're going to spend months touring round Europe we don't actually need to buy anywhere over there!

But I'm still a newbie with no experience (and as yet no M/Home) and will have to come back here and ask folk some pretty basic questions about Motor-Homing............... that OK????

R of Y

PS I don't live in York, although I was born there; my name is Richard though!

• Like Like x 3
  2. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

Hi Rihard and welcome:welcomefunster:. I 'm not called Richard... but i am from York !!!!

3. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

Hi Richard of York,
    Like the post.We were where you are about a year or so ago and have been on the road a lot since.We had a false start by buying too small before getting to something manageble which you can live happily for a couple of months at a time in.Good luck with your search and you have come to the right place to get advice as this lot know a lot!:thumb:
    Johnstey

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

:welcomefunster:

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy..

Regards....Griff....not from York .....but a bit of a dick
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

What a wise decision !! Been living in mine for ages !! Spain and France !!:thumb::thumb:

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Welcome to MH Fun

:welcomefunster:

7. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

Hi, welcome to FUN

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Welcome to Fun, loads of advice on here:thumb:

Peter

9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome R.O.Y.

just remember the only daft question is the question you didnt ask - it could be more important than you thought.
    On here you will find members with small, medium,large motorhomes, also those with self build mororhomes and those with american units, so the general knowledge base is very very big

• Like Like x 2
  10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi Richard of York.....I am Mel of York - shire...... yes I was born there and lived there for many Years... but we now live in France....Welcome to MHFun Richard:thumb: all I can say have a good look around at motorhomes there are lots of good motorhomes at low mileage...take your time and don't buy on impulse...ask for as many test drives as possible, sit in them, move around them, take stock of items you will want add look for fully loaded MHs, like televisions, sat dish, canopy, bike racks, solar panels, two hab batteries, check the tyres well, look at the date on the tyres...rule of thumb 5 to 6 years may need changing, check cam belt has been changed or may need changing....turbo have a bit more grunt,...Petrol are mainly older European vans can be heavy on MPG..... or RV american :Wink::thumb:

Mel:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi and :welcome:

They really are a knowledgeable lot on here, without a doubt:thumb:

Funny you are complemplating moving to France, we've been talking about this for a while now as well:Cool:

Bill & Margaret:BigGrin:

12. sedge

sedge Funster

Hi Richard - may you never have to give battle in vain nor find your titfer in a thorn-bush !

:Laughing:

13. TDH

TDH Funster

Hello Richard - welcome, and enjoy the ride!

14. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You will find lots of good advice on here, but the key to finding the right motor home is to keep looking and trying it out.

What you want now will change regularly!! There will be some compromise needed somewhere, but you do need to look and try them out as what may suit one, may not suit you. Once you have found that, you then need to look at your needs - in the case of yourselves, I would think it would be something reliable, and not too long in the body to save costs on ferries and recovery.

On the interior side, look for something with plenty of space, as you will need it. Check you ca get into the oven and fridge comfortably as what may be 'acceptable' now may drain your patience later (many you end up with your rear pressed up against the toilet cubicle to open the oven!)

Good luck with your search, download the buyers guide manual supplied by Jim and keep searching and trying them out!:thumb:

15. alfandM

alfandM Funster

HI and welcome to fun, if you need any advice travel etc for scandinavia just post a request,Cheers Alf:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to Fun, don't disregard older vans, a lot do not do large a mileage and the build quality is excellent, take your time look around, there is a lot of world out there to explore in a motorhome, and on fun always of free friendly advice. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

welcome

Hello and Welcome to Fun..You will get all the technical advice you need (He He) and a bit of friendly banter

Hope we did not put you off buying a Motorhome..You will be picking up tricks and traits from many travellers over the years. We are still learning new ways and new ideas after many years of caravanning and motorhoming.

What ever you decide and what ever model you get, Enjoy and Love every minute of the ups and downs....We Do...:thumb:

18. atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Hello & welcome

The following may be of some use and suggest anyone thinking of the motorhome lifestyle
    we recommend you go to somewhere like the Peterborough show where you will have fun and enjoy a brilliant time looking round many different motorhomes and bits and pieces. The first time you go there is too much to get in, in one day.
    We saw this advertised for this years show.

"BRAND NEW FOR 2012 - The National Motorhome Show and MMM will present a series of FREE seminars open to all visitors. The seminars will take place over two days on Friday 27th April and Saturday 28th and will cover some of the most important aspects of buying and using a motorhome. The seminars will cover areas such as buying your first motorhome, preparing your motorhome for travelling abroad or for long-terming and how to deter thieves from trying to steal (or steal from) your motorhome. Availability will be on a first come basis and details on speakers, seminar times and further topics will be confirmed early next year."
    Best of luck in your quest.
    Ann & Harry

• Like Like x 1
  19. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi and welcome Richard:thumb:

20. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Have a good look around,there are some bargains out there.We bought ours about 12 months ago,1997 mercedes 2.9 Sprinter 4 berth Compass clipper only 32000 miles,lovingly looked after 3 previous owners,air suspension fitted,camera,microwave etc.£13000.

Attached Files: