total novice gonna try a fifth wheel (1 Viewer)

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi all, just paid my tenner as this forum seems to offer more than most - never camped seriously but it seems camping has changed alot since i was a child. we are gonna take the plunge ( 2 adults 3 young kids )and have ordered a dodge ram ( uprated to 1 tonne payload ) and going to look and hopefully purchase a fifth wheel at the show in nec this month. The people who we have spoken to whilst at festivals in campers / caravans and rvs all seem pretty nice. any hints tips about joining clubs for discounts, travel tips, good and bad dealers etc would be be gratefully received. also any fifth wheelers with experience to offer would be superb, Have saved for ages to get this set up and cant really afford for it to go wrong so fingers crossed will get it right first time. Thanks in advance andrew ( also I am fully aware of fuel comsumption of yank truck and it is cool with me- one of the few things that are not stressing me about outlay !!:whatthe: )

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hello Tutter,

Welcome to Fun, there are a few 5er owners here :thumb::thumb:

What type, length etc 5er you looking at?

There are a few dealers but not sure many will be at the NEC, Last time i went there where only 2 there.

Are you looking at european width or American.

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome,
make sure who ever you buy your van from has time to point out driving points and how to reverse it and hopefully takes you out to do manuvres so you get the basic know how and you feel comfortable with it as there is no pushing these units onto a pitch. We have a uk spec unit with an isuzu pickup

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi tutter

Welcome to MH Fun :welcomefunster:

As said we have a few 5er owners on the site, one is bound to be along soon to answer your questions.

Hope all goes well and you get what you want.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
going to look and hopefully purchase a fifth wheel at the show in nec this month.

That means a brand new one. If you are not 100% sure then buying a brand new one ensures the maximum loss if you get it wrong.

They seem totally amazing pieces of kit to me. The only downside seen as an outsider is the huge size which may or may not limit where you can stay.

One thing is for sure, no one vehicle can ever be 100%, you always have to be prepared to accept compromise.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Hi Nutter, sorry, Tutter, a warm welcome to the Fun. Sorry I can't help with any technicalities on your purchase, but Hilldweller, (aka Mountain Man) is right on the ball here, as usual.

It's a hell of a lot of money to lay out and find you've got it wrong. Why not find a dealer with a fairly modern one in stock, and negotiate a deal to hire it, the have the price reduced to cover the hire cost if you decide to buy.

( I assume you've checked insurance, driving licence requirements and parking facilities.)

For all that gloom, this is a fun site, as well as a fount of real knowledge, so whatever your eventual decision, tell us and enjoy the open fields...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hello and welcome Tutter,

l have had my A class RV for 7 months now and l love it. Space, comfort, all the goodies of home, but l did look at 5th wheelers as well. There are some beauties out there, slides and all. With all the space and comfort of an A class. lf a 5er had come along when l was looking, l would probably had bought one too. But, the A class came first and l don't regret it one bit. Deep down l still like the set up of a 5er, and l wouldn't rule out buying one some day. Having driven artics for years in my younger days, l know how versatile they can be, and with the added bonus of a touring vehicle on arrival. Take your time in buying, be patient, and think twice before handing your money over, give yourself a day to think it over.
l wish you well in your quest.

Craig

OP
OP
T

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
thanks all for kind words and points taken on board, to summerize - 2nd hand dodge ram with uprated payload, I have max 26k spend on fifth wheel, I have full hgv class licence so towing and manouvre no prob, insurance for both £799, road tax on dodge £200 a yr, storage at specalist rv storage 4 miles from my home £8 per week. Looking at 26ft 5ver and because this is first purchase i would prefer to buy new for warranty etc. Have looked at a RV but would mean towing a small car for kid tourist bits when we pitch up plus I would then have my work car, an RV and a car to insure and tax so seems common sense to just have one set up for all. I understand everyone has a diff perspective on this but this would be ideal for our family. I have read that the caravan club dont mind fifth wheels and I beleive that over the next few year they will be become more popular for familys like ours in our position. we envisage uk camping in the first year devon / cornwall and especially santa pod as the kids love the drag racing and festivals. we are so excited especially the kids.:thumb:

OP
OP
T

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hello Tutter,

Welcome to Fun, there are a few 5er owners here :thumb::thumb:

What type, length etc 5er you looking at?

There are a few dealers but not sure many will be at the NEC, Last time i went there where only 2 there.

Are you looking at european width or American.

either will do , calder leisure will be at nec and they seem very nice. I think the laws have changed re 7.6 or 8ft but if wrong I am sure someone will point this our. We will be lower end of market intitally ( 20 - 26k ) as the price of some of these run intio huge money.
do we class 5ver owners as rv'ers or caravaners ????:Confused: or just different ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i would prefer to buy new for warranty etc.

There's two sides to that. On motorhomes in general there seems to be too much throw it together and let the dealer finish it off under warranty.

I don't know if that is the case with fivers.

But anyway, you buy new you get problems you fix them under warranty.

You buy second hand, some other mug, sorry discerning buyer, has fixed all the warranty problems and taken a big hit on value.

Choose a good dealer and second hand you'd expect a reasonable warranty.

Your choice. We can only offer advice.

Listen to ehuplad. Not only one of the nicest couples you'll ever meet but the owner of a mobile palace, bought SH. Walk into their fiver and it's rub your eyes in disbelief. "Am I in a mobile vehicle or a hotel suit ?". The only time I've ever been in a hotel with that quality accommodation was when a plane was delayed and the airline put me up for the night FOC.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

You have gone in to this with your eyes wide open, and with plenty of research hope you find what you want.

Best of luck.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
T

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
There's two sides to that. On motorhomes in general there seems to be too much throw it together and let the dealer finish it off under warranty.

I don't know if that is the case with fivers.

But anyway, you buy new you get problems you fix them under warranty.

You buy second hand, some other mug, sorry discerning buyer, has fixed all the warranty problems and taken a big hit on value.

Choose a good dealer and second hand you'd expect a reasonable warranty.

Your choice. We can only offer advice.

Listen to ehuplad. Not only one of the nicest couples you'll ever meet but the owner of a mobile palace, bought SH. Walk into their fiver and it's rub your eyes in disbelief. "Am I in a mobile vehicle or a hotel suit ?". The only time I've ever been in a hotel with that quality accommodation was when a plane was delayed and the airline put me up for the night FOC.

thanks Brian, I have been searching around for second hand but have not found one i like . ( Ian can you contact me please as do not know wheteher you are getting my pm )
I am open to all advice and options and I look foward to seeing the palace on wheels :thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
................... I have read that the caravan club dont mind fifth wheels :

Hmmmm, where d'you read that? You'll be OK if you stay small, say 27ft - ish, even then , you'll have to play the "but its no longer than the shipping length of a twin axle caravan" card. Go big, 30ft+ and you'll very likely struggle with a lot of C.C main sites.

OP
OP
T

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hmmmm, where d'you read that? You'll be OK if you stay small, say 27ft - ish, even then , you'll have to play the "but its no longer than the shipping length of a twin axle caravan" card. Go big, 30ft+ and you'll very likely struggle with a lot of C.C main sites.
I think i read on uk campsite forum. I do think that the campsites will readjust in the coming years as more and more people look at fifth wheels - we do live in the hear and now and I realise that some may not allow but overall i think good news ( under 30 ft )

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Tutters

We purchase our first fifth wheel 5 years ago. It came with a Ford F250 V8 petrol. We had originally decided to buy an A Class but this rig was advertised at such a good price, it was too good a deal to let go, we knew we would get our money back if it turned out not to be the right choice.

We changed the Ford for a Dodge Ram 3500 1999 with a 5.9 Cummins Diesel engine 4x4.

We were so pleased with this set up that we decided to buy a new one on retiring last year and purchased one as close to the layout as our old one. It took us a long while to find it, but eventually found it on RV Wholesalers website (american co.), picked out all the extras we wanted and colour scheme, got a price and then went to a company in Mildenhall, Suffolk, who said they could import it for us and do the conversion to the English spec. It was a lot less hassle for them to import and it also meant we got our warranty. They have been an excellent company to work with and will bend over backwards to help in any way they can. They deal in both used and new fifth wheels and are in fact at this moment in time in the states buying new stock. The company is Cross Country RV - might be found on the web now as CCRV. They also have the 7'6" wide models - but 8' are now legal to tow.

I know you are a long way from us in Suffolk, we are also based next to Mildenhall, so if you are ever over this way, you are more than welcome to visit us in our fifth wheel and visit Cross Country RV, we can all fill you in on whatever you need to know.

We have recently come back from a trip in the states and have shipped back a 2006 Dodge Ram, same spec. as our 1999, with a truck camper which we used to travel 17,000 miles from Texas to Alaska and back. Our 1999 one is going up for sale this week.

Please pm us if you want more specific information on fivers in general, we are more than happy to help. One of the most important things you need to look at on fivers is the internal storage - shorter ones seem to lack wardrobe space. Ours is 30' long, but having three children you would probably need one with a bunk room, you will find a lot of layouts on RV Wholesalers website. Our fifth wheel is a Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280WS.

We are going to be at a few of the MHF meets this year with the fiver, some we will have the truck camper.

Someone mentioned hiring one to see if you like it, I know that Cross Country RV sell to a company who hire them out, actually saw a company on ebay the other day who is hiring them (look under fifth wheels for sale).

All the best - Nigel and Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Following on from Zasker, as yet we have not had a problem getting onto any sites, but we also purchased the Big Pitch Guide from Mo and Dick on here.

Our fifth wheel is known as 28RKWS (28' rear kitchen wardrobe slide), if you see this description code on any of the models, they are normally two foot longer - the 28 signifies the internal floor length.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
T

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Following on from Zasker, as yet we have not had a problem getting onto any sites, but we also purchased the Big Pitch Guide from Mo and Dick on here.

Our fifth wheel is known as 28RKWS (28' rear kitchen wardrobe slide), if you see this description code on any of the models, they are normally two foot longer - the 28 signifies the internal floor length.

Nigel and Pamala

Thanks guys, would you mind if i called you for a chat, my mobile is 07903 674101 and i will call you back. I have sent pm but it says nothing in the outbox. many thanks andrew

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Have a look at the RVOC site

Hi Tutter,

The MHF site has a sister site for those with RV's .. No euroboxes.. It is free andrun by the same people.. Www.RVOC.co.uk we have a fiver section, and lots of those that post on the MHF site with yanks belongto both sites.

You will find a lot of info there... I tend to agree with Brian that you can get a few issues with a new import... Landholder ..Bill can tell you a lot about the issues, he has a rig built fr the Australian market.. The door is on the UK side... He has a wealth of experiance and is full timing in it.

The big out door shows tend to have a good selection of them on display.. The first is Newark end of March... Most of all I would say at Malvern in August as that is the one that is billed as the RV show.

Anyway welcome to MHF

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont hold your breath on the caravan club acceptance issue.

many CC sites have now imposed a 7mtr limit.

mention 'american' and they get flustered and start to flap.

in my opnion, much better joining the 'friendly club'

camping and caravaning club.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Thanks guys, would you mind if i called you for a chat, my mobile is 07903 674101 and i will call you back. I have sent pm but it says nothing in the outbox. many thanks andrew

You need to change the settings somewhere to keep the messages that you send, otherwise they will nto be shown in the outbox.

I think (not sure) that you need to tick a box somewhere when you are writing your pm.

And welcome to the forum :thumb:

Rasmus

OP
OP
T

tutter

Free Member
Feb 2, 2011
cardiff
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
You need to change the settings somewhere to keep the messages that you send, otherwise they will nto be shown in the outbox.

I think (not sure) that you need to tick a box somewhere when you are writing your pm.

And welcome to the forum :thumb:

Rasmus

sorted and thanks:thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Welcome Tutter.....bold move shop around.....lots of choice out there......I have dealt with Calders on other things seem very honest and not pushy tell them Rick at Data Acdemy recomended them.

All the best Rick.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Tutter... Just my personel views =

been down the normal route ie Tent/trailer tent/caravan/eurovan and a 5th wheel but came back to an RV and trailer with small car....

If you can as has been suggested see if you can hire a 5th wheel to see if you like it...

We did like it up to a point, but west country can be a pig for finding sights and you can get into all sorts of trouble even with good onward planning (Narrow roads and Country lanes) that a lot of lovely sights are situated up/in/on.... we found the same in Scotland, and as said a lot wont take you..

The same on the continent,,, on the main roads and auto routes no problems.. it`s when you come off these roads and start to look for the site that said " Oh yes we can take any size,,,, maybe they can but we had no end of problems getting into some sites..

Spoilt our trips many a time home and abroad.. but ok if you just want to get to a site and sit there for weeks on end... we like to move around and see other parts of the country, be it home or abroad..

If you went down the road of a small`ish RV you will have no problem exchanging up to a point on a 5th wheel but going the other way a 5th wheel to an RV.. I promise you will loose loads of ££££££`s

These are just my own personel observations, as said been there but cant buy the T.shirt.. :Doh:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Tutter and welcome to FUN.

As has been said, take as much time as possible to look round before you buy, there are many different layouts of 5er out there. Ours is a US Jayco 27 ft bunkhouse. Would suit your family well as it has 3 bunks, but sorry we are still in love with it after nearly 4 years and so are our grandchildren. :RollEyes:

We have been refused on a few sites, probably 1 in 10, but we always plan and ring sites in advance. Some people might say that having to plan is one of the downsides of a 5er, personally it's not for us as we like doing that. The upside is definitely the fact that you have a vehicle to use when away without having to tow one.

Another company you might like to look at is Niche Marketing in Lincolnshire. They are good to deal with.

Good hunting! :thumb:

Hocky54

Free Member
Feb 6, 2011
Lowestoft Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Dutchmen Denali
Exp
Hi Tutter & welcome

Its horses for courses I'm afraid, my wife Jacky and I went to the motorhome & caravan show last October there was only three exhibitors of 5er's Calder leisure, 5th Wheel co. and STT group, we eventually bought from the STT group. We were looking at 28-30ft units, for touring and siteing.
The decision of course cannot be taken lightly so a great deal of time was spent considering what we wanted against what was available. We now are looking forward to using it in ernest this year, we eventually bought a Dutchmen Denali end lounge.::bigsmile:

If you want to talk about my experiences or generally about 5er's my email and phone number is below.

Happy touring!:thumb:

julian.hockridge@btinternet.com
07785 543817.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back