LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
What a brilliant job you've made of it. Lovely van conversion. I was going to ask Terry about having a roof light put in mine but decided I'll live without it.
Good luck with finishing the job, at least you'll know it all been done 100% perfect.

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Superb ! So your `Total disaster` has turned into my `Total envy` lol . When you are away it will be so cool just to look at the ceiling as you wake up and say " I did that " .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Stonking job mate.. makes the sort of crap I get involved in look really easy !!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
This van is so well thought and put together really well, apart from the roof lights, the corrugated strips were in filled , but ply strips were used, needless to say i will be using plasic spacers
i used some hardwood strip of the correct thickness as it was easier to shape to the corrugations

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi I built a pod caravan from scratch for my son
Just take you time If you are going to keep van use hard wood to rebuild it, with stainless screws, use a good sealer make sure its all clean before sealing.All the best with the repair.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Looking great and well worth it.

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Ok a week to go before i go away in the van, so after a hard weeks work i can get stuck in to some more repairs,
So its off with the roof lights clean up the horrible mess which was more difficult and time consuming than you would think, then cut my new plastic spacers and glue the buggers down properly
Set up scaffolding over van for easy access, and so i dont have to walk on roof flexing it, also i can move it forward or backwards to access whichever part of the roof i want without moving the platform
001_zpstfczgkxc.jpg

Next i get the two rooflights ready removing horrible blown ply strips
001_zpsdtbhlnms.jpg

006_zps2jd8xxz2.jpg

Edges rust treated and primed
006_zps1dt52g2g.jpg

Plastic spacers cut and ready
004_zpsdna3cuj9.jpg

Spacers glued down and sealant on top ready for roof light to be fitted, also notice to the left i also put sealant under the black rubber pucks as they can also let in water
008_zpsltkc09kg.jpg

Two down one to go
005_zps66hiyljl.jpg

So i will do the third light then i will also fit the solar panels and the exterior work is done, i can then go inside and get more repairs done in there, the whole bathroom will have to come out, and i will do a complete refit but i will do that later on in the year as i dont have the time now
pete

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are an inspiration to all funsters, especially those "I can't solar fit because I don't want to drill a hole in my roof".

You could make a good living this way.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I am surprised I did not hear the expletives over here. It it were me the torrent of abuse would have carried on for hours. Fixes nothing but somehow makes me feel better and then the remedial work starts.
At least u know its going to be right now and will be a proper job ulike the shoddy work carried out by the "craftsmen" at the converters.
Keep up the good work.

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
That looks really bad, But is repairable look for videos on You Tube might help.
I had a leak from my roof light removed and resealed it Friday.
Had a lot of rain still leaking ordered new roof light will keep at it.
Regards Dean

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nice work, with good photo's too. Shows what can be overcome after the initial shock.(y)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve had my van 11 years now, have resealed the roof joints every two years no problems up to now .I used silicon the first time, when I washed it I noticed the sealant pulling away so fetched it off and used Sikaflex it does what it says on the tin (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
Thanks for all your comments , thats what makes this forum great, the positive support really helps me , and i really enjoy bringing updates and pictures for everyone to see, i shall carry on reporting my progress till its all finished,
pete

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
I have been flat out trying to get my van ready and now finally after all sorts of bother managed to get my repairs done and the van ready to go to Cornwall
I rebuilt the shower room from the broken existing tiles which i salvaged, all the tiling but the back wall came out, so that was that, then i salvaged the foam backed vinyl head lining from the kitchen area scraping off all the damaged ply, dried it out and fixed it on to its new ply ceiling, this is a temporary measure as i could not source the correct new fabric in time , later on in the year i will pull it all apart and re do the head liner but for now it will do with sags and rips
The solar panel upgrade is all done now and is really powerful, it makes a fair few watts even when cloudy, i am well pleased, infact i am chuffed to bits with all of it cause i have got it all done in time
Pictures show it all
pete
017_zpsy79e6jlr.jpg

010_zpshgpzzfvr.jpg

016_zps5xgja7lo.jpg

015_zpsv5amfvbm.jpg

019_zpssam2uyux.jpg

023_zpskg2yra16.jpg

012_zpsodlg9zfm.jpg

028_zpsbbsot5rh.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Good to see you smiling in the last picture. Job well done (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:clap2:Looks great. Have a nice time away. You know everything's done right now. Love the last pic of you in the mirror !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What a lovely van. No wonder you look a happy bunny! - you must be so proud, and well deserved too.
Welcome to Cornwall (when you get here) - hope you have a great time!
thumb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back