Free Member
May 28, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi All,
Well my husband and I have been the proud owners of a Folding Camper for the last couple of years. We've had severe "Motorhome envy" for a while now and in a few months we might be in a position to get a motorhome!!!!! I'm doing my preparation well in advance and have therefore joined this group following a recommendation. We have decided that we would like a fixed bed and really like the Bailey Autograph motorhomes.
I know there are many helpful books on the subject but just wondered if anyone had any tips for first timers.... Anything you know now and wished you'd known then??
Looking forward to hearing from people.

X x

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Hello and welcome, my advice would be,

Visit a show or two and pretend living in a few vans there, sit on the toilet, stand in the shower, cook a meal etcetera.
If you have decided that a fixed bed is the layout you prefer then stick to that layout or you will get confused with all the many other layouts and you may even change your mind.
Take your time and don't rush your decision.
What I now know that I didn't know when buying my first van, you usually find the layout you really want when you buy your third van :whistle:
Enjoy the hunt.

Norman.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
As above. Also, consider renting one for a week or two to confirm that your arrangement re beds etc work for you.

Welcome to Fun :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Based on my experience and of those who I have talked to. Your first van will never be the one you settle on much as you love it. It will be a learning experience for you. Finding out the things you can live with and those you could really do without. My advice would be to choose a first van that you can get your money back on. Choose a popular one that you know you can sell again.

The second season of MH'ing you can get your dream van. For me I bought a brand new Hymer 644 with a fixed bed with garage as that is what I wanted. However it only had a dinette and no lounging space. The first winter I went nuts sitting at that dinette for 3 weeks. I really wanted to put my feet up but there was no where to do that. Also I didn't need a wardrobe which stayed empty.

The second van was perfect. It had a dinette and a long bench seat with head cushions. I could sit in the dinette and do work then put my feet up later in the evening.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Dont part with money til you get the vehicle. Watch out for ebay scams etc.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome to the forum :welc:
All good advice above. Ask any questions here before parting with your hard earned (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Changed my van several times and can honestly say getting the correct layout that suits you is the most important thing, at a size you are comfortable with.
1: Considerations re bed - fixed or to be made up
2:Will you be on sites or wilding - therefore how important is the size of the shower
3: can you comfortable sit on the loo and close the door! (Had this problem!)
4: storage - outside chairs BBQ etc - where will you keep them
5: do you want to keep it parked at home, as size can matter.
Most importantly ENJOY.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Your lucky if you get it right first time. We were lucky.
We'd had several caravans so knew what we wanted layout wise. Searched and found.

Our wants have changed now. We no longer need space for 3 kids. So Ralph's building our own. To our own requirements. So we shall get exactly what we want again !
I'm with the others above. Look at as many as you can. Hire one even , to see if it's for you.
When you come to buying, If buying 2nd hand, remember, you can't smell a picture.
Welcome to MHF.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back