Torquing Diesel comes good again ! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We bought and fitted a tuning box on to the Miller about 7 years ago.
Had pretty decent results from it and when we swapped vans to the Chieftain I moved the box over to it.

Although we gained a little mpg advantage it was not as good as we had experienced in the Miller.
Mark ( the chap who runs Torquing of Diesel ) worked with me as he reckoned it was not performing as well as it should even though it is only a 2.3 engine dragging the 5 tonne plus weight around..
At Lincoln I dropped the box off to him..even though it was errrr.. somewhat out of warranty period he said he would sort it out for me.
Just got it back and wow ! What a difference.. Only done a few miles but can already feel the difference in torque ( power delivery ) and from the few miles I did the economy seems to have made quite a leap ..
I filled up before the test and refilled after.. Reckon it has gone up by almost 3mpg.
Only time will tell of course ( esp the run down to Spain :) ) but I would like to commend mark and Torquing Diesel for an exceptional customer facing service

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just don't believe the trip mpg computer reading, done a few brim to brim readings and mine is 18% out. Moho is not as economical as I thought!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just don't believe the trip mpg computer reading, done a few brim to brim readings and mine is 18% out. Moho is not as economical as I thought!
I only do the checks with brim to brim fills.. The computer is a best guess thing !
Actually... The read out seems to be the other way on mine now.. We are doing better mpg than it indicates :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I have one of these for sale, according to them will fit alot more than Ducato 2.3 2007

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Even brim-brim is difficult when the speedometer is 12% fast. I haven't yet sorted out whether the odo follows suit but I suspect it does.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. the same unit is used on the 2.8 as well.. And no doubt others too

Mark is extremely helpful.. and if someone buys your unit, a fone call to him will get you the correct settings for your engine :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Even brim-brim is difficult when the speedometer is 12% fast. I haven't yet sorted out whether the odo follows suit but I suspect it does.
I NEVER rely on the speedo for anything ! Absolutely useless hunk of junk in most vehicles.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A good point and often overlooked. AFAIK speedos are allowed to show up to 10% fast, but 0% slow. Therefore they tend to be calibrated "optimistically". I think the odometer will follow the speedo.

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
i may be misguided, but i believe the sat nav has to be accurate to fulfil its function. Generally speedo will be from, correct up to 7mph fast but odo is about right. according to tom-tom

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmm.. Intersting that..
I think I will run a check next time we are out and about to compare the odometer and twat nag mileages recorded
I have up to now relied on the nag but it would be handy if the odo was close as well

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As regards speed if you are travelling on a relatively straight and flat road at a set speed to sat nav will be spot on as near as makes no difference. So that enables you to be able to "calibrate" the speedo. The sat nav however does take a little while to "catch up" when you are accelerating and decelerating, and it can be a little inaccurate (but not as much as the speedo) on corners.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very True Peter.. That is how I know the speedo is as near as dammit 10% rich
Same on all my bikes ( apart from the BMW which is only about 4% out
The Wing was so far out I put a speedo healer on it and it is now less than 1% out..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I haven't yet sorted out whether the odo follows suit but I suspect it does.

All speedos but one that I've checked are about 10% fast. But I've always thought the miles would be OK on the basis the speedo is set fast to make sure it complies with UK law but there is no law on the odometer.

I must find out one day.

Talking on a multinational bike forum, the Yanks seem to have accurate speedos.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All speedos but one that I've checked are about 10% fast. But I've always thought the miles would be OK on the basis the speedo is set fast to make sure it complies with UK law but there is no law on the odometer.

I must find out one day.

Talking on a multinational bike forum, the Yanks seem to have accurate speedos.
Yer right.. Sceptics.. the best speedo tuners in the world ! Must be cos their speedos always go so much faster than everyone elses !
5 years ago we had a visit from 3 yanks who were touring the whole of Europe and decided to 'drop on by'.
Two on Birds and one on a K series BM.
All identical to Brit stock as far as equipment goes..
As a by the by I have just checked part numbers Brian. All the same for all speedometer components here and in the US of A..

Tell em to check them propery mate.. In fact no, let them carry on thinking they are special.. after all, a good many of them are.. as far as needs go :LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
AFAIK the odometer uses the same feed as the speedo and both rely upon counting the revolutions turned. The problem is that the length covered will depend upon the outer diameter of the wheel and tyre and that will depend all sorts of other tthings.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
AFAIK the odometer uses the same feed as the speedo and both rely upon counting the revolutions turned.

In The Old Days of proper job speedos all it needed was a 10% strong spring. All it needs today is one line of code v = v * 0.9.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In The Old Days of proper job speedos all it needed was a 10% strong spring. All it needs today is one line of code v = v * 0.9.
AFAIK it is not as simple as that. Even digital ones just count the revolutions. But the diameter (and therefore the distance travelled per revolution) can vary with wheel size, tyre make and size, tyre pressure, temperature and tyre wear. In future I suspect they may be linked to the in-car sat nav, but I am not sure if they are at the moment.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i may be misguided, but i believe the sat nav has to be accurate to fulfil its function. Generally speedo will be from, correct up to 7mph fast but odo is about right. according to tom-tom
Satnav will be spot-on on the level but introduces error on a gradient. My geometry (and boredom threshold) isn't up to working it out.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I NEVER rely on the speedo for anything ! Absolutely useless hunk of junk in most vehicles.

Definitely no use in mine, speedo cable broke on the way back through France 2015.......and again on the way back through France last month !!

:doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back