Torquay - Shedden Hill Car Park - height barrier (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just a warning if you're looking for parking in Torquay - a couple of weeks ago I decided to stop and found myself at Shedden Hill car park. The entry height barrier was removed, but I was too pleased with myself at having found a nice parking spot to notice that the exit barrier was still in place.

Just like this: View Larger Map

The exit barrier was marked 6'6" (1.98m....as mentioned on Torbay Council's web site)......my van is about 6'11" :Doh:

Having parked up I looked around and there were no other usable exits (one is a dead-end in a tennis club, the other has a bollard) so I was resigned to trying to exit through the entry lane and hoping I didn't meet anyone coming the other way (likely on a Saturday morning...it was very busy).

In the end, thanks to a Poundland shop I got hold of a tape measure and found that, thanks to the sloping road, that at one end of the barrier the height was actually over 7 feet....so I was able to get out :thumb:

There was another panel van conversion that parked just after me and that was much taller, so they would have had no option but to creep out through the entry lane.

Moral of the story....be a bit more awake than I was when entering a car park that appears to have no height restriction.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Now you know why it is called Shedden Hill - you will be saying something similar on the way out, whilst shedding your roof!

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Now you know why it is called Shedden Hill - you will be saying something similar on the way out, whilst shedding your roof!

:Smile: I was saying something similar on the way in, as I spotted it!

Maybe I'm thick...but why open the entry barrier but not the exit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back