Topping up gearbox oil on a Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have a 2009 Fiat Ducato 130 Multyjet. I have some Molyslip I want to add to the gearbox oil. I have tried doing a search and found two different video's. One says I have to disassemble the air intake and tubes to be able to top up gearbox oil. The other says It can be done underneath. It shows two plugs, One to top up and one to drain. Anyone know off hand which would apply to my MH. I'm trying to avoid having to drive it up on ramps on my driveway which isn't a hard surface, its gravel. Its unstable enough doing my Land Rover.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I changed my gearbox oil by draining from bottom, and topping up through breather on top of g/box, same engine as yours.

Eric

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Seconded re: refilling via the gearbox breather ,there is I believe in some boxes a "dam" between the diff and the gears.And filling this way ,when renewing oil is the way I was taught also on some ,perhaps older models fiat had recommended overfilling (fiat forum)and on my last 1993 2.5td Frankia the dipstick had been modified accordingly from 1.2lts to 1.9lts .(?)to save the 5th gear problems many seemed to encounter.
You can add oil via g/box filler from underneath but a bit fiddly ,and make sure you reseal properly to save water ingress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
U cant top up on an X250 Ducati which yours is.
Drain it down then add the exact amount through the breather.
From memory it just clips in place.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
not a service item. oil for life of vehicle no need to change.

Check mine on every service /inspection and change every year depending on milage,never had a problem with it ,made up a oil bottle with tube thin enough to go in breather hole and long enough to reach after taking out spare wheel (under bonnet storage) you can the see and remove breather ,mines a threaded one not push on .
Also check for seepages from shaft bearing seals .

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
After spending hours on the internet I found the breather plug hole. Once you know what your doing it wasn't too bad.
Good days work. Managed to add the Molyslip to the gearbox and washed off all the dead flies and insects off the front of the Van. Now time to enjoy a glass of wine and admire my work in the sun shine. Many thanks everyone for all the advice.

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Did the moly’s lip improve the gear change ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
After spending hours on the internet I found the breather plug hole. Once you know what your doing it wasn't too bad.
Good days work. Managed to add the Molyslip to the gearbox and washed off all the dead flies and insects off the front of the Van. Now time to enjoy a glass of wine and admire my work in the sun shine. Many thanks everyone for all the advice.
Nice to hear of another Molyslip user.:)

martynstarkey

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RL
Exp
since 2014
Hi, I'm struggling to find the same info on the internet - could you please post and direct me to what you found so I can try it also - thank you

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Look at top of gearbox, just to side of airfilter housing. On top of gearbox facing upward you will see a black plastic cap, about the same diameter as a one pound coin. Pull this upward and it will pop off, exposing a hole into the top of the gearbox.

One of those funnels with the long flex hoses is the perfect fit into it. ????

martynstarkey

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RL
Exp
since 2014
Look at top of gearbox, just to side of airfilter housing. On top of gearbox facing upward you will see a black plastic cap, about the same diameter as a one pound coin. Pull this upward and it will pop off, exposing a hole into the top of the gearbox.

One of those funnels with the long flex hoses is the perfect fit into it. ????
Thanks for a speedy reply :)

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
From my experience of my last two Fiat ducato's I find the gearbox or clutch hydraulics on a Fiat ducato usually breakdown before it needs toping up. First Fiat ducato 25000 miles synchronisation went. Second Fiat 36000 miles, clutch hydraulics went.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Interesting thread.
Mikescuba ,which models/series were they? I’ve got a 56 plate X244 2.8jtd which is on 37000 miles.
Nothing on a gearbox should go pop at that mileage but best to prepare if I can. Garage that does service says best to check/top up gearbox oil every couple of years,although it’s meant to be “sealed for life”......never did like the sound of that.......how long is “life”!!

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I had a 2001 2.8jtd which ran perfect for the four years I had it. No problem with it whatsoever. Can't remember what mileage I had on it when we sold it. I think it was around 60.000 miles.
I then had a 2009 130 multyjet. 25.000miles and the synchro went in the gearbox. 2300€ to get it fix at a main Fiat Agent. When I asked Fiat for a contribution towards the cost they refused saying Ducato's were only guaranteed two years irrespective of mileage. Our latest one is a 2011, 130 multyjet. with just under 36.000 miles, Clutch hydraulic went without any warning signs. 1520€ work done at a Renault main agent as that's where we were towed to. I would point out that its not my driving, in 50 years of motoring I have never had these sort of problems with my other vehicles. I did drive a Mercedes Sprinter which had 534000 miles and is still going strong without any major problems. Water pump, starter motor and rear wheel bearings replaced and a couple of sensors.. You can guess what my next van is going to be. If I were you I would keep the van you have.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks. That’s confirmed my own thoughts but they are based on not much actual experience. I have been told the 2.8 Jtd is bombproof,but I do treat the gear box with respect,having read about problems on other models. Yes,those sprinters are in a league of their own,it seems.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
"life" for a fiat ducato might be 2 or 3 years and 200,000 miles on a courier van

as a motorhome, how long is a piece of string?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don’t honestly know. It appears the way on all modern stuff these days. Gone is the practicality of a level plug. Sorry.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
"life" for a fiat ducato might be 2 or 3 years and 200,000 miles on a courier van

as a motorhome, how long is a piece of string?
Our first MH Fiat required a gearbox rebuild at 25 thousand miles. Our second one the clutch hydraulics went at 37 thousand miles.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Iveco's service schedule includes, for their "filled for life" gearbox, the instruction that the gearbox oild must be changed at least every 3 years for vehicles which cover less than 40,000km a year.

I know it's a different gearbox, but with the propensity on the Ducato, particularly on earlier models, for the gearbox to take in water from the scuttlegate problem, it seems a reasonable idea.

I've recently changed mine at 3 years ;)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Iveco's service schedule includes, for their "filled for life" gearbox, the instruction that the gearbox oild must be changed at least every 3 years for vehicles which cover less than 40,000km a year.

I know it's a different gearbox, but with the propensity on the Ducato, particularly on earlier models, for the gearbox to take in water from the scuttlegate problem, it seems a reasonable idea.

I've recently changed mine at 3 years ;)
I am considering changing mine at 4 years soon. I have an X290, so is it the case of taking out the gearbox sump plug (only one with a female allen key type head?) And refilling through the top black breather cap with a funnel and hose? also how much oil did you put in and what type from where ??? TIA

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I am considering changing mine at 4 years soon. I have an X290, so is it the case of taking out the gearbox sump plug (only one with a female allen key type head?) And refilling through the top black breather cap with a funnel and hose? also how much oil did you put in and what type from where ??? TIA

Yes. The drain plug is an 8mm square key. The threads on plug and casing should be clean and plug refitted with thread lock sealant.

Fiat state 2.7 litres refill quantity for the gearbox, but I've been told that newer boxes are delivered with 2.9 litres refill specified on them. The Citroen Relay manual also states 2.9 litres refill for 6-speed boxes, and 2.7 litres for 5-speed.

Fiat fill them with Tutela Experya SAE 75W80 transmission oil, but following a chat to a dealer mechanic I've refilled mine with Tutela Matryx 75W85 which is a higher spec fully synth oil. It's much smoother and has lost the slight notchiness in the gear change that was previously sometimes apparent.

Citroen recommend Esso EZL 848 or Total Gear 8, both again 75W80 in the very same gearbox, so I would say the correct viscocity and quality matter more than the brand of oil. It's important to use a GL4 spec oil, not GL4+ or GL5.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yes. The drain plug is an 8mm square key. The threads on plug and casing should be clean and plug refitted with thread lock sealant.

Fiat state 2.7 litres refill quantity for the gearbox, but I've been told that newer boxes are delivered with 2.9 litres refill specified on them. The Citroen Relay manual also states 2.9 litres refill for 6-speed boxes, and 2.7 litres for 5-speed.

Fiat fill them with Tutela Experya SAE 75W80 transmission oil, but following a chat to a dealer mechanic I've refilled mine with Tutela Matryx 75W85 which is a higher spec fully synth oil. It's much smoother and has lost the slight notchiness in the gear change that was previously sometimes apparent.

Citroen recommend Esso EZL 848 or Total Gear 8, both again 75W80 in the very same gearbox, so I would say the correct viscocity and quality matter more than the brand of oil. It's important to use a GL4 spec oil, not GL4+ or GL5.
Thanks a lot for that, I will follow what you have put in :giggle: Do you know what the torque setting is for the drain plug ? Thanks again

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Can you tell me if there is a washer on the plug ? I phoned my local FIAT pro dealer and they told me 28mm external 22mm internal, which seems a bit large to me as I remember, but I dont have the van here!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Can you tell me if there is a washer on the plug ? I phoned my local FIAT pro dealer and they told me 28mm external 22mm internal, which seems a bit large to me as I remember, but I dont have the van here!

They've given you the dimensions of the engine sump plug washer.

There's no washer on the gearbox plug. Just use a suitable locking sealant with clean threads and tighten it to specification (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

There's no washer on the gearbox plug. Just use a suitable locking sealant with clean threads and tighten it to specification (y)
Thanks yep I got the sealant so good to go then (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Thanks for your help again, night and day difference to the gear change! So much smoother, which I had done it sooner. The old oil looked tired after 5 years, with some very slight contamination in it I think also.

Mine did have a copper washer after all:
22 mm outer diameter
12 mm inner
1mm thick.
If I keep this van will schedule another change in a couple of years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back