Top up payment cards for FRANCE

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by autoswan, Jun 1, 2014.

1. autoswan

autoswan Funster

I have FairFX and post office cards which were good when used in France last year, but the only places they were no good were at some unmanned fuel stations and a toll bridge.
    I plan to use a few toll routes this year also. So my question is what are the best top up cards at the best deals for using them in France that will work on every toll road, bridge and fuel station etc ?

sorry if there`s a thread covering this but the only ones i saw a while back had a lot of confusing opinions on it . There must be a few uk based low fee card companies that are good for everything over there ?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Certainly not a pre-payment card but an excellent credit card for the over-50s is the Saga Platinum credit card which is very highly rated on the Moneysaving Expert website.

We used it last year - covered all fuel purchases and peage without a problem and was set to automatically pay off (and therefore interest free) the following month. Will be using it again this year. Good idea to speak to Customer Services first to let them know your travel plans - avoids any "non-pattern" spending alarms.

Good rates and no European surcharge.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks Steve but im a bit to young to qualify for that card, the money saving expert sites a good shout though, i will check it out as well as info here on fun :thumb:

4. SMB

SMB Funster

It's a problem and I'm not sure if there is a solution! I have both pre-paid cards (CaxtonFx and Cashpassportglobe) and normal cards (including Halifax clarity card) and still have problems with those stupid stupid French filling stations. Nowhere else, just France. Various suggestions have been put forward in the previous post a few weeks ago such as informing your bank that you are abroad etc but I now just pay cash or make sure I fill up at a manned station. I use cash at toll booths. It would be great to have a card solely for use in France, issued by the French but as far as I'm aware that doesn't exist for us foreigners :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

i used the thomas cook preloaded card last year and it worked fine at all manned payment booths but the girl that issued me the card did warn me, that like most prepayment cards it may not be accepted at french toll kiosks .

• Like Like x 1
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

We have Mytravelcash card , it doesn't work at auto fuel pumps but never fails at kiosk ones, we also have a tesco credit card that works anywhere and you get points on any transaction to add to your tesco rewards for the tunnel:thumb: double points at any tesco outlet:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Halifax Clarity as recommended by Martin the MSE guy..:thumb:

Just search previous threads on here for more info...

We have used it all over France, tolls, fuel etc, and all over the world including Asia, Americas and Africa. best rates, no charges, just Brill....:thumb::thumb::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1