Top UK Site between Manchester and Dover? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Our 2.5 week sortie into France has turned in 4 weeks :thumb: Now I am sure some people will say great more time in France. But I thinking to go via some "not to be missed" spots in the UK.

My problem being I not sure where these places are, as I tend to go Manchester and northwards and clearly I am wanting to go in southern direction!

Now I not mithered with taking a wide berth to Dover i.e I am toying with going via Devon, Dorset and South Downs. But also considering going across to Lincolnshire, Norfolk and whatever is inbetween :RollEyes:

I my idea of a great campsite is Great Views/Walks with a pub just down the road, be walking or cycling distance.

Be interested in any great campsites in the areas or surrounding areas I have mentioned or maybe someone has taked a slow van to Dover and what route did you take?

Dave and Sylvia

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The south Devon coast is lovely. We did it at New YEar in the snow which was fun. Salcombe, Dartmouth and Beer were fabulous but its all nice as is the Dorset Coast. We stayed on Caravan CLub CL's costing between £5 and £10 per night or we did the odd wild camp. Its quite a diversion for France though if your going from Dover but you could spend a nice week or so along the south coast. IF your in the Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping club you will find all the CL and CS's on their websites. Cant recommend the CL at Salcombe and Beer enough. Brilliant. Cant recommend any campsites as I rairly use them

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Great Caravan Club CL at Wateringbury near Maidstone - Bow Bridge Marina - next to the River Medway. Rail links to London, Maidstone, Tonbridge.

£5 a night - no hook up - lovely tranquil spot!:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I with the C&C Club.

But what are CS and CL?

Dave

The south Devon coast is lovely. We did it at New YEar in the snow which was fun. Salcombe, Dartmouth and Beer were fabulous but its all nice as is the Dorset Coast. We stayed on Caravan CLub CL's costing between £5 and £10 per night or we did the odd wild camp. Its quite a diversion for France though if your going from Dover but you could spend a nice week or so along the south coast. IF your in the Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping club you will find all the CL and CS's on their websites. Cant recommend the CL at Salcombe and Beer enough. Brilliant. Cant recommend any campsites as I rairly use them

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Certified Locations (Caravan Club) and Certified Sites (Caravan and camping club)

They are basically farms, nurseries or pubs etc that have put asside space for up to 5 vans to stay. All have water and emptying and some have electric. Some are stunning others are rough and ready farm yards but they can be as cheap as £3.50 a night! I personally love them as they to me are like camping used to me before regimented campsites with club houses, swimming pools and hordes of screaming kids came into play. You will find there are over 2500 CL's on the CC website!

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Aha, I understand. Thanks for explaining.

I agree, I much prefer the smaller sites. I 'll see what top tips come forth and then plan my route down to Dover.

Certified Locations (Caravan Club) and Certified Sites (Caravan and camping club)

They are basically farms, nurseries or pubs etc that have put asside space for up to 5 vans to stay. All have water and emptying and some have electric. Some are stunning others are rough and ready farm yards but they can be as cheap as £3.50 a night! I personally love them as they to me are like camping used to me before regimented campsites with club houses, swimming pools and hordes of screaming kids came into play. You will find there are over 2500 CL's on the CC website!

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the most I have even paid for a CL is 50p
it has been a while though:ROFLMAO:

and the peak district used to be between manchester and dover ..fabulous !

cromford canal basin just south of matlock bath comes highly recommended to wild camp

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999

It still is but it depends on which part of Manchester you start from!!!:ROFLMAO:

Try Windy Harbour Farm Hotel Campsite just north of Glossop - stunning views but very basic site. Hook up and hardstanding - Eric the Guanaco and a hen wandering around! We love it - it's "home"!:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
the most I have even paid for a CL is 50p
it has been a while though:ROFLMAO:

cromford canal basin just south of matlock bath comes highly recommended to wild camp

I bet it was this one!:roflmto:

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back