Top End Continental Vans

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BillyS, Oct 26, 2015.

1. BillyS

BillyS Funster

Could someone please explain to me, why a lot of the Top End Continental Vans, such as N+B, Dethleffs, Pilote, Carthago, Knaus, Globebus, Frankia, etc, all have only one door at the front. Surely it can not be down to cost???
    I am thinking purely on the Safety aspect, such as a collision, or a Fire. I would have thought two Doors would have been better than one in such an event, surely?? This has always occured to me, every time I see one of these Continental Vans.Does anybody have an answer, please? Many thanks. BillyS

2. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Less opportunity for migrants to enter whilst stationary ????

• Like Like x 5
  3. bb wales

bb wales Funster

Hi,

We have a 2003 Eura Mobil Integra 810HB which is an A Class and that has 3 doors, drivers, passengers and habitation and I personally think they have got it right, only one shortfall though can't get external thermal screens for it, just got to use the internal ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I can think of two reasons. Firstly, not having a driver's door improves structural rigidity across the front section near where it is joined to the front fairing - itself usually a single-piece moulding. Secondly, and this applies only to the very large 'liner' motorhomes, having a driver's door would require the construction of some form of stairway. Since there is unlikely to be much space inside next to the driver, this would probably have to be external (like a lorry cab) and would not be in keeping with a luxury passenger vehicle. It is a fair way down from the driver's seat of an A-class based on a MB Sprinter or Iveco Daily; on a larger chassis such as a MB Atego or MAN TGL one would need steps.

• Like Like x 7
  5. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

The one door at the front IS on the drivers side on a LHD?
    I think the answer is that it's a lot cheaper to just move the controls over than to build the body differently for the very limited RHD market

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

But, in line with your original question would not all LHD and RHD have two "cab" doors if the manufacturer changed their philosophy?:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I know - the original question referred to 'Top-end Continental vans'. I did not even consider the UK market in my response. I was thinking about A-class vans, like mine which is a LHD Hymer B-class Star-Line.
    Until comparatively recently, a UK-specified Hymer B-class still had a 'driver's door' on the left-hand side even though the steering position had been moved to the right. This was because the right hand side next to the British driver still contained the gas locker and to move that would have required major modifications. As you say, it was probably not worth the trouble for the British market. However, many larger A-class vans do not have a driver's door option and I believe that is for the reasons I gave in my first reply.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

On some it would require major alteration to the original design
    Also I know some who's passenger almost always get in & out of the jab door even on coach built vans which have 2 can doors

• Like Like x 1
  9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Also returning to the original question, some top-end motorhomes have quite complicated driving arrangements that would preclude the fitting of doors at the front. For example, some Concorde's have a floor in the driving area that is raised when parked so that it is at the same level as the rest of the internal floor, but lowers when the vehicle is ready to be driven.
    The internal floor in some big 'liners' is a metre off the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Weakens the structure, potential cold and draught spot, interferes with the fitting of radiators all round.

I don't see that they are required so why bother, I would say that as we only have the one door.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  11. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

My Hymer is right hand drive, so I have a door on the passenger side and obviously the habitation door on the offside.
    I was told that there was an option to also have a door on the drivers side but that would have been a costly option.
    Stef.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I would agree with that.. very rarely see a USRV A class with a cab door.. if they do, it's as you say, they have in built steps down the side of the body..
    My GeorgieBoy RV only had a habitation door and such is the height of the floor above ground level it had five steps.. three internal, two external..

but I really like the cab door on my Hymer.. not fussy whether left or right hand drive,.. but one of the reasons I didn't buy a right hand drive Hymer was having the cab door at the passenger side..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oriel

Oriel

We have a Niesmann @ Bischoff - it doesn't have any doors up front - the only door is the hab door. I've never seen one with cab door/s. The hab door is not far from the driving position and its no problem getting in and out for either driver or passenger. There's a lot of storage either side of the up front seats which you wouldn't have if you had doors. In the event of a fire or accident the front sliding windows are easily big enough to climb out of.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

We have a passenger door and a drivers door on ours and I really like that idea, so does the MOT guy saves getting in the Hab door and walking through to the front.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Even the drivers door was an option on my Hymer, only time I ever use it is when filling up with fuel. Last van was a CB with normal Fiat cab, we hardly ever used the cab doors.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I always use the hab door, as the passage door is too high a step lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I use cab doors in my cb as hab door is 30" approx of ground & requires the double electric step to be put down. In fact I usually keep hab door locked from inside when travelling & basically only use it at home.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

I have an extra door in my Laika. Wouldn't have specified it but it was a stock vehicle. My Rapido only had a door on the passengers side. Having no door on the drivers allows the builder lots of nooks and crannies for useful cupboards for bits and pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  19. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Lots have no doors up front, so only one door to make secure, and as has been suggested already how the devil could you get up into some of the larger "A class" vans as you would need two steps inside to get up to floor level to drive, that would push the seats towards the centre of the van just to make room for the steps.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dill

Dill Funster

As well as what's already been pointed out, the double floor arrangment has a lot to do with it too. Our old Elegance had double floors and was fitted with drivers and passenger doors getting in and out was pretty bad as the step was too high. The structure suffered too as the walls used to rattle when the front doors were closed. Just having the Hab door as never been a problem for us and can't say I would want to go back to having them again.

Dill

• Like Like x 2