northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
Hi
Little bit of advice needed please.
Due to additional member of the party being added to our hols in France next week. I am thinking of buying a top box for my Hymer.
I have a rail around the periphery of the roof,and have just bought some bars that go across from one side to the other. Is it as simple as now buying the box to sit on the bars ? The fiamma box picture shows the bars embedded in the roof ,and not above the roof running running from the curtain rail around the edge.
Guidance please,as i don't want to get this wrong.
Thanks
Roger:Blush:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I have just fitted a Fiamma Ultra box 3, I fitted it to the crossbars of the surround roof frame, is this what you are talking about? If so I can help with advice and where to buy :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I appreciate you have already purchased the roof bars Roger, but personally I wouldn't have a roof box for these reasons

a) security risk
b) increase drag = reduced MPG by as much as 2 - 3 mpg
c) safety.. climbing on the roof is always risky.. especially when it is wet
d) stability, it raises the centre of gravity and also catches cross winds
e) subjective, IMO. they look awful

Reduce each persons personal stuff or use a Fiamma back box mounted on the bike rack..

as I said.... just my opinion .. others will disagree

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
roger buckley

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
top box

Thanks

The other option is to buy the fiamma box that fits on the bike rack- worth exploring
Regards Roger

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Ive got one of these fitten to a bak rak, a good size and light aluminium.

Link Removed

Alternatively if its just for one trip, consider a roof bag?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
get the van weighed then you know if you have enough payload left for an additional passenger and luggage you may be surprised and have to remove some stuff.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
How about a small trailer???

If you are not used to reversing a trailer a small luggage trailer is easy to unhook and hand ball around.. :thumb:

Come in handy for doing rubbish runs to the local tip..

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
My Fiamma Top Box (Ultra 3) is fantastic, if anyone wants one can I recommend World of Camping, they are doing them for £369.99 with free delivery, a MASSIVE saving on other outlets, very friendly, I have bought from them before :thumb: Here is the link Link Removed

Next cheapest I found at £430 plus shipping was here http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fiamma-Ultra-Box-Motorhome-Roof-Box-3.html

Amazon show the RRP at £645.31 so seems there is some pie in the sky with these dealers, here is their price at £454 [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiamma-Ultra-Box-3-Top/dp/B0013DXLVI[/ame]

Now to the moaners about Top Boxes

1. Fuel - This is minimal in the scale of things if any.

2. You could fall off - Grow up, your not children any more, I have non slip pads on the roof, I have no problems up there, and on most occasions send a kid up :ROFLMAO: But the locks and opening can be a fiddle. Just ensure you fit it with the opening side where you want it and can get access to it.

3. Wind - With the slab side of the motorhome, a little dimple on the roof is going to make not the slightest of difference, and if it is so windy you are worried, pull over and have a sleep until it settles. :roflmto:

4. Top Heavy - Keep to within the manufacturers guidelines and you will be fine, the weight of 55kg in mine is nothing compared to my overall weight, I am not a boy racer and don't intend to be throwing the thing around ::bigsmile:

5. Aesthetics - Well if I was worried about style I would not be in a Swift or a Kontiki for that matter :ROFLMAO: what I do have however is a spacious motorhome with two lounges BUT limited externally accessible storage space (no big garage), now with 2 children with buckets and spades extra chairs, rolling waste container and all that kind of stuff for a month in France, we do need more storage space. We take a few days to get down to the South of France and it is nice to have all the clutter for long term use out of the way, so we can just get the wind down awning up and some chairs and wine out for a short overnight stay :thumb:

6. Security - I don't stay in rough places, Wales is too far for a weekend anyway, so no problems for me, plus the locks on the Top Box are probably more secure than catches on roof hatches. I am sure I would hear someone on the roof trying to get into it rather than on the back :thumb:

Now this Top Box is HUGE and VERY useful, so don't get carried away stuffing things in it, I weighed every item, I also have a weighing bar that I drive the motorhome wheels over in turn (on a flat surface) that calculates the weight, so always within the law and manufacturers safety recommendations :thumb:

It does not need to be there forever, it can be taken off as and when so not the end of the world. I was just going to use it for France, but having used it on a couple of occasions I feel it will stay there :thumb:

When I fitted mine, I had to negotiate solar panels, roof hatches and a satellite dish for a clear and correct fitting, I took my time and fitted it to the cross bars off the roof which was much easier, I then had help to lift it all up and just bolted the cross bars on :winky:

For those that have asked for fitting details, PM's have been sent this evening, so check your in box. Cheers and goodnight :thumb:

OP
OP
roger buckley

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
top box

thanks for all of the advice. i will have a look at the cargo bag,as i have not had a look at this option ,before making a decision
regards roger

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My Fiamma Top Box (Ultra 3) is fantastic,

1. Fuel - This is minimal in the scale of things if any.

:thumb:

:Eeek:Before I fitted one we got 31mpg and 95 mph :Eeek: now we are down to 27 mpg and a good 80/85 mph -MPG done with brim to brim fill ups on 2 x 1500 mile almost identical trips 1 without and 1 with :thumb: 4 MPG :Eeek: is a lot to loose for what amounts to a spare wheel and 2 chairs plus dog food box :ROFLMAO::Eeek:
terry
before anyone jumps in we do not travel at 80/90 mph

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I guess it depends on the aerodynamics of your van, My Kontiki 645 has the curved front which will deflect most of the wind over the box, the box is lengthways on so minimal exposure. Anyway, with all the other cr@p on the roof i.e. roof rack, satellite dish, solar panel, air vents, roof hatches it is far from slick and aerodynamic anyway, another litte lump will not make a difference. As I said I don't tend to worry about the odd couple of p here or there, If I am paying, I am paying for convenience and lifestyle, by the way you didn't take into account the cost of the box, even though I got a great deal on it :Eeek:

This is not aimed at any one person, but just because you can't afford a box, or can't afford to lose a p, please don't knock the massive gains from having one. In the scale of things it is cheaper than buying a bigger van and all the costs involved in that, you can also take it on and off. I have have found out what has been causing the children now and have taken action, so don't need any more box's now :thumb:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I said .. some will disagree and clearly you do, if you are happy that's fine.. I was only pointing out the pitfalls and disadvantages.. AS I SEE THEM... others can make their own minds up.

but to answer to your points........

My Fiamma Top Box (Ultra 3) is fantastic,

Now to the moaners about Top Boxes.. an opinion is not a moan..

1. Fuel - This is minimal in the scale of things if any. equates to a loss of 3mpg is about 15% increase in travel costs.. that's not minimal

2. You could fall off - Grow up, your not children any more, correct.. most are in their 50s and 60s.. not late 20s.. the risk may be low but the damage could be severe..

3. Wind - With the slab side of the motorhome, a little dimple on the roof is going to make not the slightest of difference, .. my experience this is not true , so agree to differ

4. Top Heavy - Keep to within the manufacturers guidelines and you will be fine, the weight of 55kg in mine is nothing compared to my overall weight, I am not a boy racer and don't intend to be throwing the thing around fair enough.. but all vans have a MAM .. better the load low, 55kg is a large load on a roof. .

5. Aesthetics - Well if I was worried about style I would not be in a Swift or a Kontiki for that matter I said that was subjective

6. Security - I don't stay in rough places, and you never park up outside a secure site ? A roof box proves you have a lot of nickable stuff aboard, advertising it is ill advised. and once they get up your very convenient ladder and see all the goodies on your roof..

Now this Top Box is HUGE and VERY useful, .. I'm sure it is , provided you don't fall off or have it broken into and can afford an extra 15% on your fuel bill

It does not need to be there forever, true

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I guess it depends on the aerodynamics of your van, My Kontiki 645 has the curved front which will deflect most of the wind over the box, the box is lengthways on so minimal exposure. Anyway, with all the other cr@p on the roof i.e. roof rack, satellite dish, solar panel, air vents, roof hatches it is far from slick and aerodynamic anyway, another litte lump will not make a difference. As I said I don't tend to worry about the odd couple of p here or there, If I am paying, I am paying for convenience and lifestyle, by the way you didn't take into account the cost of the box, even though I got a great deal on it :Eeek:

This is not aimed at any one person, but just because you can't afford a box, or can't afford to lose a p, please don't knock the massive gains from having one. In the scale of things it is cheaper than buying a bigger van and all the costs involved in that, you can also take it on and off. I have have found out what has been causing the children now and have taken action, so don't need any more box's now :thumb:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That just shows how little you know about aero dynamics :Doh: the wind will not go over the top at the speeds you will travel but will follow most of the roofline :whatthe: Either way it will cost MPG :Sad: As you say it is you fueling the van :thumb: but don't think in ignorance that it is not costing you :Eeek: because it clearly will :thumb: My roof box is of the car verity glued and screwed down to the roof behind the Heiki roof lite so I thought the same as you :Doh: but was quite shocked at the result :ROFLMAO: (it's still up there):ROFLMAO: One day I may get around to measuring the chairs to see if they fit in a cupboard or under a bed then shift things around :thumb: but for now it will do :Smile:
terry

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I don't disagree, it is just the negative attitude, nothing positive said. A balanced response would have been more acceptable, I tried to rectify it in one of my posts.

I am in the danger age category you refer to, that is nonsense, it is all down to common sense, does that mean you never clean your roof, my goodness the dirt could increase drag and mpg :Eeek:

As for fuel costs, I couldn't care less, the minimal mileage I do compared to all the other extra costs compare to buying and running this rich mans toy is meaningless :thumb: Before you say it is not a rich mans (or woman's) toy, reflect on how many people have £35k plus spare to mess about with, plus running costs, some can't even afford to run a basic car!

All I am asking is to keep it balanced, I benefit from massive inside space for the family, no fixed bed clogging up the space but then lose the valuable storage from underneath those models. I now have the best of both worlds, I can take my roof box off, but I couldn't take a big garage out get get more internal space!

Everyone has different needs, to believe that anyone over 50 is a potential danger on a roof is pure codswallop, you are only as old as the woman you feel, so please post sensible arguments / discussions :thumb:

Sorry for any spelling mistakes but I am posting this on my iPad in the fracture clinic :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don't disagree, it is just the negative attitude, nothing positive said. A balanced response would have been more acceptable, I tried to rectify it in one of my posts.

I am in the danger age category you refer to, that is nonsense, it is all down to common sense, does that mean you never clean your roof, my goodness the dirt could increase drag and mpg :Eeek:

As for fuel costs, I couldn't care less, the minimal mileage I do compared to all the other extra costs compare to buying and running this rich mans toy is meaningless :thumb: Before you say it is not a rich mans (or woman's) toy, reflect on how many people have £35k plus spare to mess about with, plus running costs, some can't even afford to run a basic car!

All I am asking is to keep it balanced, I benefit from massive inside space for the family, no fixed bed clogging up the space but then lose the valuable storage from underneath those models. I now have the best of both worlds, I can take my roof box off, but I couldn't take a big garage out get get more internal space!

Everyone has different needs, to believe that anyone over 50 is a potential danger on a roof is pure codswallop, you are only as old as the woman you feel, so please post sensible arguments / discussions :thumb:

Sorry for any spelling mistakes but I am posting this on my iPad in the fracture clinic :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not neg Swifty just stating that the roof box will cost you money = mpg but as you say it gives you storage :thumb: It then becomes a simple calculation IE is it worth it :thumb:In my case it is still on the roof :ROFLMAO::Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back