Top 3 Manufacturers

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by calculad, Nov 14, 2009.

1. calculad

calculad

I know this is a very simplistic question, but who would you put in your top 3 motorhome manufacturers.
    Reviews on another forum based on an overall score give:

Autotrail, Swift, Compass with not much between them.

I own an Autosleeper Symphony 1994 Peugeot Boxer 2.5D

K

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

dont seem to make that annagram say action mobile. or any of the german makes . doesnt quality come in to being the top marques . :Rofl1:

3. Blisters

Blisters Read Only Funster

Eura Mobil, Hymer, Nishman n bishcoff, or Cathargo although the later are very expencive so they should be good

All German :BigGrin:

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would like to see Rapido in that list as well as the german ones, and what about the US!

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That is very true..

IMO there isn't a British coach-built van worth buying.. I would rather buy a 10, 15 or 20 year old German van than any of the these.

However, it's not all gloom, there are some good British panel van convertors who build to order and actually care about workmanship.

jim

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

strange giving the bottom three when asking for three top converters . have to start some where. no other vans come anywhere near them for quality .

7. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Knaus Knaus Knaus - me biased???? No!!!:Rofl1:

8. calculad

calculad

I didn't choose them. They are the marques that came top on a different forum with contributions from hundreds of respondents. I just added up the scores to get some kind of easily scored average.
    Also when you go on dealer websites they do seem to sell a lot of these amongst others of course.
    Thanks for comments, but would welcome loads more replies
    K
    PS Are Autotrail, Swift, Compass all British

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  9. scotjimland

Yes,

out of curiosity, are you planning to open a dealership ?

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If he is he needs his brains testing and a very large Bank account full of dosh!

Back on topic, the Swift Group are the best for service back up as far as I am concerned, but I do like the Rapidos and Hymers which we are now actively stocking when we can find used ones.

Peter

11. scotjimland

which you already have Peter .. :Wink:

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi ,i must say i have watched swift very promtly offer to sort problems out after remarks on here . i hope they have satisfied the customer. credit to them if they have. i still prefer the german conversions, i think they would sui my taste better for long terming. i have been impressed by some of the japanese coach built conversions i have seen as well .mainly because many are built on 4x4 base vehicles. the aussies do some nice ones as well.

13. deepstar

deepstar Read Only Funster

best three

its a great shame none of you have seem to have been in burstner rapeedo hobby motorhomes they put english motorhomes in the dark ages
    regards deepstar

14. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Based on no experience whatever

Laika, Burstner, Hymer - not necessarily in that order.

None of them are cheap, but all of them are solid and last for ever. They all have layouts that I like and (with the exception of Burstner with their ridiculously and dangerously located oven - head height for gods' sake) are pretty well put together. What's more there are most base vehicles to choose from - Fiat, Merc, Renault; (you can get Ford on Hobby - not sure about on the above three - and they are quite good as well)

We have a Dethleffs, which is not as 'good' as the above three but suits us fine.

John

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

best get a truck conversion they are my favourites. last for years and have lots of payload .

16. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have found this to be complete untrue.

Doug...

17. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I can't speak of all the vans available but I can speak of the van I have now. Do not buy a Swift, I have had nothing but problems costing over £2000 in repairs in 4 years.

Doug...

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

When it comes to motorhomes there are two parts, the base vehicle and the habitation. Then there is customer service. It is a fact of life that German built vans are built for a Norther European winter whilst British vans are built for a Southern European summer. The difference is as great as that between chalk and cheese.
    So define quality first, what are you actually looking for. Insulation, solid built, reliable engine, rust free, good looks, functionality, or just plain value for money which will be a compromise on all of those. Are you prepared to keep rehanging doors? fix wonky steps, be forever returning you pride and joy to have engine/gearbox problems sorted out. It has already been said the best all round is a 10-20 years old German van, probably on a Mercedes chassis. Mine 26 years old and still going strong, no rust never been welded must say something for German engineering. The habitation is British but hand built to a good spec. original doors and hinges still sound. After looking around vans at the shows and seeing how many had doors hanging off I do wonder what has happened to British workmanship. Mass production seems to be the killer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  19. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

My top 3 would be Laika, Devon, Hymer.

Laika:- After 2 years owning one most impressed with build quality, never had to do anything to the motorhome. The only problems have been dealt with in a most professional manner, rear bumper developed a stress fracture replaced. Step dealer re-sited relay box. Problem with Ford base on delivery sorted by a Ford garage and dealer combined.

Devon:- Renault Master van conversion, had for 2 years no problems at all

Hymer:- Never owned one but on looking round many have been impressed by what I have seen.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

20. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

I don't want to get into the 'Mines the best' arguement, but I can only tell you why I like my hobby!

I have one small reservation... Hobby vans interior design seems to be a year or two behind it's contemporaries, as far as fashion is concerned. Perhaps thier attitude is 'isf it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

The all fiberglass monocoque body is probably the strongest and best finished of any van I have ever owned.

The external door is properly mounted on two solid hinges.

The internal fittings are solid, beautifully built and finished.

All interior doors have 'domestic' quality fittings, not the usual lightweight motorcaravan items, which means that they will last the life of the van.

The cooker/oven and fittings, are again of domestic quality.

The windows are fully framed, and sealed, unlike the majority which are push in fittings.

The carpets are high quality, rubber backed items which can be pressure hosed.

All of the above suggest that the van will still be functioning well when others are looking tired. It is the German attention to detail, not the UK 'built to a price' that is telling, not low price at any cost!

My van has it's faults, but they are few and minor. I'm not saying that it is better than any others out there - my experience shows that Hymer is as good, perhaps even better, and I've never been in a Neimann and Bischoff, but otherwise, I'm satisfied mine is as good as any out there.