Top 10 must do or see in France (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you're going that far east then Chamonix is great.

You have the Aguile du Midi as Brian mentioned, the Planpraz the other side of the town (you can get the cable car up and paraglide down this one if that's your cup of tea), great scenery, great bars and restaurants

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are into paragliding etc we had a good alpine holiday near Morzine they do paragliding mountain biking (ski lift up bike down) white water rafting a lake to swim in etc.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you considered Puy Du Fou? It's near Cholet and probably France's best kept secret. It has it's own huge aire and is more than can be taken in in one day. (The dutchman next to us advised to spend two days - he was right!) If possible include the night time Scenie Cine

P.S. it is seasonal so check dates.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Oooh that looks good, going on my "to do"
It's truly beautiful. We stayed on a campsite above Cassis, excellent bus service down to the harbour. Restaurants gorgeous, very very pretty place. For the Calanques you can do either 2 of them, 7 of them or all of them. We did the 7 as the mistral was blowing and sea a bit blowy. A place you'll remember for ages. I'll put 2 or 3 pics on my gallery page and link it in.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Grotte de Rouffignac (original cave art)
Gouffre de Padirac
Carcassonne
Vezere, Dordogne and Ardeche valleys
Parc Puy du Fou
Puy de Dome/Auvergne
Cote du Granit Rose
Carnac menhirs
Ile de Re
Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne

Did you say only 10? Unfair.

I'd better not say

Rocamadour, La Coupole, Honfleur, Dijon, Fontainbleau, Paris...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Have you considered Puy Du Fou? It's near Cholet and probably France's best kept secret.

It's actually France's fourth busiest visitor attraction outside Disneyland, but I think you're right in saying they've done a great job of keeping it secret from us. Maybe because the English are the baddies in not a few of their historic spectaculars :) Three Lions on the tabbard? Don't cheer too loud.

I love the place.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Many of my favourites have been mentioned above, no point in repeating them. As you are taking kids many of my suggestions would be 'boring' so I won't bother listing the top ten. We did go with ours, many years ago, to Park Asterix and they loved it, so maybe a visit there to or from eastern France if that's where you choose?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have you considered Puy Du Fou? It's near Cholet and probably France's best kept secret. It has it's own huge aire and is more than can be taken in in one day. (The dutchman next to us advised to spend two days - he was right!) If possible include the night time Scenie Cine

P.S. it is seasonal so check dates.

Wyn
We are planning to go there this July if poss...looks amazing.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We are planning to go there this July if poss...looks amazing.
I won't tell you too much about it so as not to spoil some of the surprises but it is well worth spending a couple of days and timing it so you get chance to see each section. They time it so you can get from one to another but best plan your route and timings.

There is a spectacular evening display at the lake of the main site but also attached is the CineScenie on certain nights. If you book online you get the best all-round deal.

It's allegedly the best attraction in the world!

Enjoy it.

Wyn

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Pont du Gard, an absolute marvel of Roman engineering, and you can picnic right beneath it.
Nimes (the Arena is as spectacular as the Coliseum in Rome, but with no queue to get into it!),
Lourdes (just for the experience! - it has to be the religious 'tat' capital of the world!) But well worth a walk around to see the Basillica and the grotto.
St Jean de Luz - the harbour area and main square is well worth a walk around.
St Tropez - go on a Saturday and experience the market!
St Jean-Pied-a-Port - or anywhere on the 'Camino Way' - lots of the little towns on the Pilgrimage Route are worth a visit.

Oh, and all the others everyone else has mentioned! (y)

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Canet Plage we have been going since the kids we small and still call in every time we pass

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pegasus bridge museum is a must for anyone with an interest in WW2

What's the Camargue like? Fancied taking a trip down there for a few years now

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
Pic du Midi de Bigorre The cable car from La Mongie to the observatory has to be one of the best in europe. Mike

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Tour de France, on a mountain (arrive at least one before they are due) if you are in France in July.

colyboy

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Cameret s/ Mer.
A lot of the Germans 'Atlantic Wall' is still there masses of gun emplacements, bunkers, shell. Holes, displays of bombs, a Musee and fantastic coast line too.
The Aire there is very good, big level, and the town has all you need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back