Too much money

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by UK Pete, Feb 28, 2015.

1. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

I see people talking about just popping over to spain and france, using the tunnel or ferry,
    having never done it before i thought its about time i did it, so my destination is almeria spain, i am flexible with the times , well F--- me i cant believe how expensive it is, cheapest santander crossing i could find was £327 then add minimum of £250 diesel , i am looking around the £600 mark before paying for any food,sites tolls or travelling around, well it seems like this is a hobby for the rich only
    i cant pay that, i would rather book two weeks package holiday all inclusive for less
    How the hell do you guys all afford it and so often it seems with some
    pete

• Like Like x 4
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

tunnel frequent traveller 106 return. approx £400 fuel in a PVC. avoid tolls and just pay the essential ones £60? so thats £336 each leg very roughly....I can leave here monday morning and be having lunch in Benidorm Wednesday:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Simple answer is, go for longer. The longer you go, the cheaper it is. If you want short trips, just do a couple of weeks in northern Europe with a DFDS crossing. I would never dream of driving down to southern Spain for less than 3 months.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Nobody said it was a cheap option Pete. You are right it expensive to cross the channel especially if you use the Santander route. We always use either Dover Calais or Newhaven Dieppe. This is much cheaper but more driving. You can certainly buy a package holiday for less but personally, I would preference the freedom to do as I please. If we don't like the resort we are in we just drive to another.
    Enjoy your holidays whichever way you decide to take them. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We went to Morocco last year if you we take all costs into account we could have gone to goa for 4 months
    Nobody said motorhome use is cheap
    You can spend as little or as much as you want
    The only way to be cost effective is go abroad for longer
    2 weeks in Spain will be not much cheaper than 6 weeks if your careful
    Sorry

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

You're lucky. If you lived up here our can add another £100 each way for fuel plus an overnight stop.

• Like Like x 4
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

know where you are coming from.. traveling long distances is never cheap, unless you fly or hitch hike.. and why so many try to cut costs by off site camping..

I also think a lot of newcomers to the hobby forget about such small details as site fees.. :rolleyes:
    they think you buy a camper and have 'free' holidays for life .... nothing could be further from the truth

When we were working and with only three weeks holiday we went to Spain regularly, nowadays it would need to be much longer to make it cost effective and viable..

• Like Like x 3
  8. Baycott

Baycott Funster

May not be that simple for Pete @Snowbird as he dosnt say if he is retired or not. I agree though it is far cheaper the longer you go for.

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

OP is in Kent, spitting distance from ferry/tunnel. Yes it all depends on how long he has and commitments, but who would drive to spain if they only had a couple of weeks...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  10. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

I drove to Murcia (Southern Spain) via Calais last summer. For us, a family of four, worked out cheaper than flying.

Not sure if you can compare cheap all inclusive package holidays to motorhoming anyway - totally different pastime.

I afford European touring by working hard (and smart), being frugal at home and making maximum use of things like Tesco Clubcard vouchers, must save/earn £1000 pa on this alone.... Never thought of it as a cheap hobby though !

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ha, you wanna be starting out from up here in Scotland :eek:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

Or west Wales :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

Yes thanks for the replies, TBH it shocked me the price of it all just shows how green i am to it all, i have been pvc camping on and off for over 20 years and in all honesty have looked at it as a cheap way of having a break especially doing a bit of wilding here and there, and i just love the out door life and being free to do what i want,
    the UK can still give me all the above, but i will stick to my two package holidays abroad rather than doing it in a motorhome, i just cant justify it at the moment, perhaps as some have said doing a longer stint is more cost effective , but i dont intend on retiring for a good few years yet so will see what life deals me and if i am lucky enough to retire with spare money then maybe a sunnier climate for 3 months of the year

• Like Like x 1
  14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

With the price of package holidays nowadays motorhome trips are expensive but personally we're done with those sort of trips.
    Motorhome gives us freedom to go where we want at our own pace visit places we never would and meet like minded people. Oh and the biggest bonus of all we never need set foot in a poxy airport or spend hours on those horrendous planes. That alone is worth the extra money.

• Like Like x 12
  15. MikeD

MikeD Funster

When we went last time we were gone for three months. On Tuesday off for two months. Cost of the ferry fades away a bit against the rest of the costs.

Our three month trip taking in bits of Spain and Portugal (Drove from Calais) cost approx £1000/month. (y):)

16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Dead right! We are thinking about Ireland (NI and Eire) at some point and the ferry is a lot of money so will make sure we go for 3 or 4 weeks at least.

Strangely the cheapest holiday is probably a cruise when you add everything in, so long as you don't take any of the extras that are so tempting. Again not for everyone but worth trying at least once.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I drive from here to North Devon , via Dunkirk usually, which is nigh on 1500miles . costs me around 230 € in diesel each way. +ferry cost. The only toll I usually pay is Around Abbeville somewhere ? about a couple of euros.
    Across Spain/France I only ever use parking areas to stop as I'm just travelling from A-B .:) Normally 3 days solo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Same thing without the motorhome, if we take the car the long way round to the Faroes it's very expensive, half the price if we fly but either way the longer we go the cheaper it gets, of sorts.

19. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Having now retired , no mortgage or dependants the Motorhome gives the total freedom we love. Would I prefer looking out from the balcony of a concrete box over looking the "issue "pool with all the other incumbents , or peer out across a deserted bay or riverside Aire ?
    Diesel at 75p per litre Discount ASCI Guide, Aires Guide, shopping al Aldi or Lidl eating when and where we want washed down with bargain priced wine and beer. No package holidays for me, unless it is long haul to destinations I have not seen. As has been pointed out
    the longer you go for the cheaper it is. You still have to eat if you are at home !

• Like Like x 5
  20. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi Pete
    Where's the fun in traveling 'pest class' on SleazyJet with a kiddie kicking the back of your seat for hours eh? Not to mention check-in times and trying to find a lounger round the pool! At least you don't have to throw a towel over your camping chair at silly o'clock!

You can't use motorhoming in comparison to other holidays - it's more a religion than a vacation style!

I could have in excess of 60 weeks worth of package holidays for the price of my van BUT even after depreciation, I still have equity in my van, whilst if you spend money on going to Costa Packet, it's gone!

There's those on here with vans approaching £90k and others touring the UK on a shoestring. Both are equally valued in our MHF community. Those with dosh and those without is the way of the world I'm afraid.

Anyway; don't suppose those on a British Airways holiday forum would have such riveting things as 'no water' or 'window condensation' to talk about :D

• Like Like x 10