LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Turnedup at a wilding spot yesterday and thought this isn't quite as photos showed. Looked like a Itinerant site and most were uk plates...I guess full timers. A quick walk around the area revealed the much nicer spot which we quickly took up the last space :)
Do you stay put or move on when this happens?

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I must be having a slow day today.... I still don't get it ??? Crikies ?? Knackers ???? Do as you likies ??? Ahhhhhhhh you mean errrrrrr
Yes. Hippoes. Damn predictive said "hippies". Don't think so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
You stay put, change into your string vest and cut down Levis, knock on the nearest door, and say "Got any good tat mate"?. (y)

I'm sure Alans got one she could borrow! :LOL:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Go with what you feel. I have moved before now but can also say that one of my most 'made welcome' places was when I pulled up in the dark next to travellers. They made me most welcome and offered to share their food with me and helped me level and I have never felt so safe. .

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am sure they vary, we turned up at an aire last year in France to find the adjacent field was packed with itinerants/ travellers. We stayed on the air despite our misgivings but actually it was fine. Their kids played nicely together without shouting and screaming too much, the caravans and vehicles were all clean and obviously well looked after, there was no rubbish laying around and by 10.30 pm all was quiet and peaceful. They are French registered vehicles.

Had they been Irish travellers you would not have seen us for dust. We were once on a site in Germany when a large group of these arrived. Within minutes there was loud music, barking dogs running free, Kids on bikes screaming and riding between units and a number of very iffy looking youths walking around plainly staring through windows and sizing up caravans and motorhomes that were there before their arrival. I am not easily spooked but I wouldn't stay anywhere near them, they made us and some others feel very uncomfortable and others left as we did.

The site was run by a hotel which was next door, only one or two people on reception to deal with the hotel and the site, and they had no chance with these travellers and the travellers knew it. One unit paid to raise the entry barrier whilst the others just drove straight through by closely following the one in front to keep the barrier up.

So I take the view that they all differ some are fine and some are scum, you just have to try and decide which they are.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
when I pulled up in the dark next to travellers. They made me most welcome and offered to share their food with me
Nothing like a chunk of slowly roasted hedgehog, and a bit of road kill dog for supper. (y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We were on the aire at Aachan a couple of years ago and there were some Irish travellers on site but the local police arrived with guns and they soon shifted but they did leave a lot of mess, including some old fridges.

Denise

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have nothing against travellers. I do though have a big problem with how they leave areas behind them.
Up in the Black Country a few weeks back they pulled into a school playground and set up. This meant the school was closed for two days till the local council and police did the paperwork and evicted them.

When they left they left piles of rubbish and old windows behind them plus a Pony. That's right they abandoned a Pony just left it behind. They moved less than half a mile and set up again on private land. So the Police and authorities took action against them right ??? No nothing. Not a jot Nada Zilch Fark Hall.....

The authorities in my opinion are nearly as bad as the travellers for failing to act !!! How can this be ???? Not a clue.

Everyone has to live somewhere but doing the above endears nobody to thier predicament...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you don't feel safe then move on. I've even been on "proper" sites that didn't feel safe.

I used to do some work for a Romany family (and family stories say our family are part-Romany). The family I worked for were law abiding and nice people. I deal with their paper work, including making sure vehicles were taxed, insured and had MOT where required.

I can't say if this family were the norm or the exception of course.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Moved well on now and on a campsite less than 2 euros extra than an aire costs. :)

No brainier...free wifi and pool.,local buses to spend the day out . Mum arrives in the area in 12 days time....sorted(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Probably. All of the above I have encountered over the years have a Dublin accent. Never yet seen a diddy wearing traditional Roma dress, speaking with a mid European accent, and playing a barrel organ, monkey on shoulder.
Mind you, they might not travel as far North as Lancashire. :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My two pennies worth! Please excuse my use of words which are now considered politically incorrect. Bear with me and you will see that is the problem!

When I was at school, many moons ago, we had a large contingent of gypsy children that attended our school (obviously when they happened to be settled in our area). Many of them I would consider to be my friends, and I got on well with. Those families still frequent the area, but we are no longer allowed to call them gypsy, vocab guideline dictate that we must call them "travellers".
This means that they get lumped in with the group of "travellers" that we would formerly have referred to as "Itinerants" but now seem to be called "Irish Travellers" now with this group I have had nothing but trouble with, their kids run riot uncontrolled, whilst the parents are generally getting pissed and fighting.
Sweeping generalisations I know, but based upon my own life experiences.

[Edit]
It appears that I got censored, I didn't type in the word itinerant, but that is what appeared.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Yes very true and part of our rationale when making a judgement will be based on previous experiences. A good experience with a particular ethnic group will encourage a positive judgement whereas the opposite applies. Our judgements on anything are also strongly influenced by our last interaction.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I don't know what that means except you were had over by someone. I take your point about prejudice but I don't happen to be prejudiced against anyone because of their, race, colour religion etc. BUT. I, and I suspect many other people draw on their knowledge, experience and in some cases gut instinct when dealing people.

Just because some of the travelling fraternity are rip off tarmac your drive types, I accept it doesn't mean all travellers are the same but the fact that a good many are may well influence your choice of when having work done. Just because an Italian youth tried to rob me I don't think all Italian youths are robbers but when in Italy I tend to hold on to may wallet with a little more care than normal. Just because I saw the Roma woman in rags who was begging and pleading for money outside the church later get into a brand new BMW to be driven away, I don't think all Roma beggars are trying it on but it means I am sceptical. Then when I drive through a crowd of migrants at Calais I make sure my doors are locked and windows closed, not because I think they are all going to try hitch a ride to the UK but because I know that the chances are some members of their group are more likely to do that than members of the local Boy Scouts.

I accept that we need to be careful of being unjustly prejudiced but at the same time I think anyone who does not appreciate that some people, because of their background, religion, ethnicity, beliefs etc are more likely to do us harm is living in cloud cuckoo land and setting themselves up to be victims.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back