Too many rules!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bushtrekker, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

I've just spent 24 years working in an environment with lots of stupid rules, but my eyes glazed over reading the 'Bye-laws' on the CC application page. First of all 'Byelaw' has a legal definition, which is being misused on the CC page, where 'Conditions of Entry' would be more appropriate.

Secondly, they need to go on a marketing course, since as an organisation they are putting people off before they start filling in the application.

As it it is possible to stay on some sites without joining, I can't really see the point in becoming a member.

Before someone accuses me of being an anarchist who doesn't like rules, I am happy to comply with sensible rules, such as not rolling up at 1.00 in the morning, not making a noise after 11.00 etc., but I've just retired from the ministry of silly rules, so I don't want to join an organisation with so many rules it makes the European Parliament look like amateurs:Smile:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Rules are made to be broken and i must admit i brake most of them:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well I'm pleased to read all of this as I too read the rules page and decided not to join.

I joined C&CC instead following posts on MHFun.........

.....still haven't used one of their sites though :thumb:

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I aint saying a thing.. other that I fervently wish the CC would admit their true colours and simply say they are anti motorhome, instead of continuing to take folks money and letting them find out for themselves what a shower of nasty people they are first hand

Yes, I am sure there are LOTS of people who have never had issue with the 'club*' at all..
    But I have long since lost count of the people who never join for a second year

CLUB
    Surely that is another misnomer .. At best it is misleading as it is a private company..

• Like Like x 3
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi actually i sent a email to both the well known clubs on the weekend . it asked if they accept folk of no fixed abode .ie. fulltimers .
    be interesting if they answer . it came up on 365 so i thought ask ,lets see if they are going to be honest . .if they reply i shall have to ask if they accept m,homers as equals.

• Like Like x 1
  6. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Something to ponder

• Like Like x 3
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Been a member since I got my mh in 05. Fulltiming and using CL's. Never had a problem...

I don't tell the site owner I am a fulltimer until I get to know them. None of their business. I am paying to park on their land for a week not becoming a neighbour or employee...

I am now on friendly terms with quite a few of them and even do the odd bit of site maintenance if I see something that needs doing and it won't put me out.

• Like Like x 4
  8. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ah you see there is your first mistake, they really don't care if you join or not! Not only that, once you join they wont care if you stay or not. They simply don't give two hoots!

I remain a member because occasionally I want to stay on one of the CC sites and some are members only.

Eddie

9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We've been with the CC since 2006, have stayed several times at Craigie Gardens in Ayr, as well as a couple of CL sites elsewhere.

We started out with the caravan in 2006, but moved on to the mh last year and have always found the wardens to be very helpful:thumb:
    Bill and Margaret

• Like Like x 3
  10. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

The rules are designed to keep the people out they don't want in:Wink:

If you don't like them don't join:shout:

Simples:thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  11. Bushtrekker

Interesting mix of opinions.

I think on balance I won't be joining either organisation at present, but the CL's do have a certain appeal, as they must be quieter than larger sites. When I looked on one of the websites I found a CL about five miles from here which I had no idea was there.

My favourite site in Britain is Burnbake, which is near Corfe Castle, reasonably priced and set amongst trees with no formal pitches, no clubhouse etc. The only drawback is that you have to walk to Studland or Corfe Castle to catch a bus. On the plus side there are miles of walks, including a spectacular ridge way, they also have fresh croissants delivered hot daily.

No formal rules, apart from no fires, although a lot of people take a fire tray to raise the fire of the ground which is allowed. The site is self regulating, if people make a noise at an unreasonable time others will have a word with them and if they persist, speak to the owner when he collects the money. There are no onsite wardens, just seasonal cleaning staff and the owner comes round with a bucket to collect payment daily.

We've used this site for years and would go more often if it wasn't so far away.

12. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

Im a member of both but thinking of leaving the CCC the new revamped inproved web site gets on my :censored:2 was going to stay on their sites for a few nights at easter gave up trying to find one and booked with the CC instead, as ive said before on here never had a problem on or with the CC did not read the rules when i joined so dont know if ive ever broke one but ive never been told off like a bad boy so me thinks i have not, i treat everyone as i find and keep myself to myself, the sites seem to by and large be in nice places and are kept in mint condition so unless they change their website i will still use them :thumb:

13. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

CL's and CS's and recovery are the only reason we belong to either club but we have occasionally use sites run by both CC problems nearly every time C&CC never ever a problem - cheerful accommodating wardens every time :thumb:

14. Bushtrekker

I haven't got a problem with rules as long as they are reasonable...

...although I have to admit to exiting a Forestry Commission site which didn't open their barriers until 7.30 by an unconventional route. I had to be 40 miles away by 8. and had a Land Rover 110 at the time.

I fell asleep before I got to the rule on CC sites about opening and closing times, so maybe someone can enlighten me, as I get up and out early, so sites with barriers which are locked until 8 aren't much use to me.

15. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I can't say I noticed any discrimination toward motor homers but if there is I,m sure they will need to change their way's pretty sharpish because the last CC site I stayed at during the Easter break was filled with as may motor homes as there were caravans. Following on from Mitch I agree the CCC website is not a patch on the CC one for ease of use.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I can think of 2,500 reasons... all called CLs...

CL owners set their own rules... so they tend to be less regimented..
    but all sites, be they Club, Private or Council have rules.. simply because if there were none the a$$holes would ruin it for every one ..

Frankly, I've never found any of the Club site rules silly, in fact they are all pretty much common sense and there to ensure everyone has a an enjoyable stay .. but as already said.. you don't like .. don't join.. simples.

• Like Like x 8
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just refreshed my memory by reading the Club rules and see no mention of locked gates until 8am .. but I may have missed it .. can you point to the rule ?

In any case, gates are there primarily to keep people out, not lock you in... if you need an early start, and I appreciate that that is sometimes required, you can park in the late arrivals area the night before where you still have use of the facilities, including the EHU , water and dumping. .. then get cracking at first light without disturbing others..

As for bylaws, as a countryside officer you must be familiar with all the Acts and bylaws that apply to the countryside.. .. compared to the Club rules.. that is heavy reading..

• Like Like x 1
  18. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

In the 70’s & 80’s we used Caravan Club sites a lot with the caravan. When I ordered the Motorhome in 2008 I rejoined the Caravan Club without any hesitation since then I have done 76 nights on the main sites without any problems or regrets. I am currently on the Ferry Meadows site at Peterborough.
    The comment on non members being allowed on some site misses the point that they are charged more therefore after a few nights they might as well have joined.
    If you read the rules for any club, web site, retailer or other organisation you were dealing with you would give up doing anything.

• Like Like x 2
  19. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I only read the rules if it`s going to cost me more.:Eeek:
    I ingnore the rules if they tell ME what to do.:thumb:
    I use common sense :Rofl1:

20. laneside

laneside Funster

We do prefer the friendliness of CL sites but do on occasions use the main sites.

I am afraid the rules are necessary so that the Wardens have clear guidelines as to which undesirables (no names mentioned) that they need to restrain or evict

We have found them to be very refined places to stay for a few nights.

To be fair they must be doing something right, I know there is a shortage of sites due to silly planning rules, but they are always almost full, or at least well attended.

I feel sure if they were as bad as some make out then customers would vote with their feet.

Thank goodness we are not all the same

• Like Like x 2