Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I've just spent 24 years working in an environment with lots of stupid rules, but my eyes glazed over reading the 'Bye-laws' on the CC application page. First of all 'Byelaw' has a legal definition, which is being misused on the CC page, where 'Conditions of Entry' would be more appropriate.

Secondly, they need to go on a marketing course, since as an organisation they are putting people off before they start filling in the application.

As it it is possible to stay on some sites without joining, I can't really see the point in becoming a member.

Before someone accuses me of being an anarchist who doesn't like rules, I am happy to comply with sensible rules, such as not rolling up at 1.00 in the morning, not making a noise after 11.00 etc., but I've just retired from the ministry of silly rules, so I don't want to join an organisation with so many rules it makes the European Parliament look like amateurs:Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I'm pleased to read all of this as I too read the rules page and decided not to join.

I joined C&CC instead following posts on MHFun.........

.....still haven't used one of their sites though :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I aint saying a thing.. other that I fervently wish the CC would admit their true colours and simply say they are anti motorhome, instead of continuing to take folks money and letting them find out for themselves what a shower of nasty people they are first hand

Yes, I am sure there are LOTS of people who have never had issue with the 'club*' at all..
But I have long since lost count of the people who never join for a second year

CLUB
Surely that is another misnomer .. At best it is misleading as it is a private company..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi actually i sent a email to both the well known clubs on the weekend . it asked if they accept folk of no fixed abode .ie. fulltimers .
be interesting if they answer . it came up on 365 so i thought ask ,lets see if they are going to be honest . .if they reply i shall have to ask if they accept m,homers as equals.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Something to ponder

I aint saying a thing.. other that I fervently wish the CC would admit their true colours and simply say they are anti motorhome, instead of continuing to take folks money and letting them find out for themselves what a shower of nasty people they are first hand

Yes, I am sure there are LOTS of people who have never had issue with the 'club*' at all..
But I have long since lost count of the people who never join for a second year

After being members of the Caravan Club for 4yrs now we can only say apart from one campsite we have only been met with helpful and very friendly wardens.
Being on the limit for length on most of their sites they have saved us a pitch when getting there late so we can only speak as we have found and would recommend the Caravan Club 100% .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Been a member since I got my mh in 05. Fulltiming and using CL's. Never had a problem...

I don't tell the site owner I am a fulltimer until I get to know them. None of their business. I am paying to park on their land for a week not becoming a neighbour or employee...

I am now on friendly terms with quite a few of them and even do the odd bit of site maintenance if I see something that needs doing and it won't put me out.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've just spent 24 years working in an environment with lots of stupid rules, but my eyes glazed over reading the 'Bye-laws' on the CC application page. First of all 'Byelaw' has a legal definition, which is being misused on the CC page, where 'Conditions of Entry' would be more appropriate.

Secondly, they need to go on a marketing course, since as an organisation they are putting people off before they start filling in the application.

As it it is possible to stay on some sites without joining, I can't really see the point in becoming a member.

Before someone accuses me of being an anarchist who doesn't like rules, I am happy to comply with sensible rules, such as not rolling up at 1.00 in the morning, not making a noise after 11.00 etc., but I've just retired from the ministry of silly rules, so I don't want to join an organisation with so many rules it makes the European Parliament look like amateurs:Smile:

Ah you see there is your first mistake, they really don't care if you join or not! Not only that, once you join they wont care if you stay or not. They simply don't give two hoots!

I remain a member because occasionally I want to stay on one of the CC sites and some are members only.

Eddie

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've been with the CC since 2006, have stayed several times at Craigie Gardens in Ayr, as well as a couple of CL sites elsewhere.

We started out with the caravan in 2006, but moved on to the mh last year and have always found the wardens to be very helpful:thumb:
Bill and Margaret

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The rules are designed to keep the people out they don't want in:winky:

If you don't like them don't join:shout:

Simples:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Interesting mix of opinions.

I think on balance I won't be joining either organisation at present, but the CL's do have a certain appeal, as they must be quieter than larger sites. When I looked on one of the websites I found a CL about five miles from here which I had no idea was there.

My favourite site in Britain is Burnbake, which is near Corfe Castle, reasonably priced and set amongst trees with no formal pitches, no clubhouse etc. The only drawback is that you have to walk to Studland or Corfe Castle to catch a bus. On the plus side there are miles of walks, including a spectacular ridge way, they also have fresh croissants delivered hot daily.

No formal rules, apart from no fires, although a lot of people take a fire tray to raise the fire of the ground which is allowed. The site is self regulating, if people make a noise at an unreasonable time others will have a word with them and if they persist, speak to the owner when he collects the money. There are no onsite wardens, just seasonal cleaning staff and the owner comes round with a bucket to collect payment daily.

We've used this site for years and would go more often if it wasn't so far away.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Well I'm pleased to read all of this as I too read the rules page and decided not to join.

I joined C&CC instead following posts on MHFun.........

.....still haven't used one of their sites though :thumb:
Im a member of both but thinking of leaving the CCC the new revamped inproved web site gets on my :censored:2 was going to stay on their sites for a few nights at easter gave up trying to find one and booked with the CC instead, as ive said before on here never had a problem on or with the CC did not read the rules when i joined so dont know if ive ever broke one but ive never been told off like a bad boy so me thinks i have not, i treat everyone as i find and keep myself to myself, the sites seem to by and large be in nice places and are kept in mint condition so unless they change their website i will still use them :thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
CL's and CS's and recovery are the only reason we belong to either club but we have occasionally use sites run by both CC problems nearly every time C&CC never ever a problem - cheerful accommodating wardens every time :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I haven't got a problem with rules as long as they are reasonable...

...although I have to admit to exiting a Forestry Commission site which didn't open their barriers until 7.30 by an unconventional route. I had to be 40 miles away by 8. and had a Land Rover 110 at the time.

I fell asleep before I got to the rule on CC sites about opening and closing times, so maybe someone can enlighten me, as I get up and out early, so sites with barriers which are locked until 8 aren't much use to me.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I can't say I noticed any discrimination toward motor homers but if there is I,m sure they will need to change their way's pretty sharpish because the last CC site I stayed at during the Easter break was filled with as may motor homes as there were caravans. Following on from Mitch I agree the CCC website is not a patch on the CC one for ease of use.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can't really see the point in becoming a member.

I can think of 2,500 reasons... all called CLs...

CL owners set their own rules... so they tend to be less regimented..
Rules: CL site rules are decided by the owners and may differ from those applied on Club Sites.

but all sites, be they Club, Private or Council have rules.. simply because if there were none the a$$holes would ruin it for every one ..

Frankly, I've never found any of the Club site rules silly, in fact they are all pretty much common sense and there to ensure everyone has a an enjoyable stay .. but as already said.. you don't like .. don't join.. simples.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
...although I have to admit to exiting a Forestry Commission site which didn't open their barriers until 7.30 by an unconventional route. I had to be 40 miles away by 8. and had a Land Rover 110 at the time.

I fell asleep before I got to the rule on CC sites about opening and closing times, so maybe someone can enlighten me, as I get up and out early, so sites with barriers which are locked until 8 aren't much use to me.

Just refreshed my memory by reading the Club rules and see no mention of locked gates until 8am .. but I may have missed it .. can you point to the rule ?

In any case, gates are there primarily to keep people out, not lock you in... if you need an early start, and I appreciate that that is sometimes required, you can park in the late arrivals area the night before where you still have use of the facilities, including the EHU , water and dumping. .. then get cracking at first light without disturbing others..

As for bylaws, as a countryside officer you must be familiar with all the Acts and bylaws that apply to the countryside.. .. compared to the Club rules.. that is heavy reading..

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
In the 70’s & 80’s we used Caravan Club sites a lot with the caravan. When I ordered the Motorhome in 2008 I rejoined the Caravan Club without any hesitation since then I have done 76 nights on the main sites without any problems or regrets. I am currently on the Ferry Meadows site at Peterborough.
The comment on non members being allowed on some site misses the point that they are charged more therefore after a few nights they might as well have joined.
If you read the rules for any club, web site, retailer or other organisation you were dealing with you would give up doing anything.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I only read the rules if it`s going to cost me more.:Eeek:
I ingnore the rules if they tell ME what to do.:thumb:
I use common sense :ROFLMAO:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We do prefer the friendliness of CL sites but do on occasions use the main sites.

I am afraid the rules are necessary so that the Wardens have clear guidelines as to which undesirables (no names mentioned) that they need to restrain or evict

We have found them to be very refined places to stay for a few nights.

To be fair they must be doing something right, I know there is a shortage of sites due to silly planning rules, but they are always almost full, or at least well attended.

I feel sure if they were as bad as some make out then customers would vote with their feet.

Thank goodness we are not all the same

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On another thread I was castigated for saying that when doing anything we should have consideration for those around us and was accused of making rules.
Could this be the reason that "rules" are neccessary?

If people were more considerate of others and property perhaps the rules would not be required. :thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
people are people

We have always found it odd that some people criticize the Carvan Club so much, yes we have all heard the stories about little hitlers etc etc but surely you find them in all walks of life, they`re not just confined to the Caravan Club.

Last year we were just moving off a site (Looe) to another and a couple we were chatting to said oh that`s a lovely site, they even have music in the loos, though someone had written in the visitors book that they didn`t like the sort of music that was being played and it should be changed.
For heaven’s sake how long are you in there that the person found the music offensive, anyway when we got to the site (Merose Farm) in St Mawes of course we went straight to the visitors room to read the comments book and sure enough read the comment about their dislike of the music.
We mentioned it to one of the wardens and he told us that in the male loo whilst cleaning he noticed that the music volume was very low, on inspection he found that someone had stuffed wet toilet paper into the speaker.
Now this had to be an adult, what sort of mentality did he have to do such a thing, the mind boggles.:Doh:

We are in both the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club but will be dropping the CC&C as we find we use the Caravan Club sites so much more, you just know you are always going to get a good standard, the toilet facilities are almost all the same, clean, fresh and immaculate, the hard standing pitches which we prefer are usually always level which saves us using our ramps, (maybe we have just been lucky).
They are upgrading all the time, now a lot of the EHU post also have a TV point which is a big bonus for those that like to watch tele.
[FONT=&quot]The website is very user friendly and the wardens in our experience have always been helpful and pleasant, so we don`t have a problem having their sticker on our window, along side the Motorhome fun sticker of course.:thumb:[/FONT]

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We are members of CC and rarely use the main sites but often use the CL's which are often much more social and in some truly stunning places.Well worth the money.
P.S. Have never read the rules but have not been taken to task on anything so must be a good camper!:Cool:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We are members of CC and rarely use the main sites but often use the CL's which are often much more social and in some truly stunning places.Well worth the money.
P.S. Have never read the rules but have not been taken to task on anything so must be a good camper!:Cool:

Not a good camper but probably a good and considerate person. I'v never read the rules either and we've never had a problem. I think if common sense prevails you will be OK. Generally speaking if you are not doing anything stupid you will be left alone.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Not usually good Wi Fi either.

I've used a couple of these on site Wi Fi set ups and they never deliver enough bandwidth to be useful, so now I check that my dongle or phone have a good signal before deciding to stay somewhere. That's another reason why I won't pre-book, as on some sites moving 20 feet makes a huge difference in reception.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back