Too large for a first motorhome?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jezinio, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Jezinio

Jezinio Read Only Funster

Hi

We have just started looking around motorhomes with a view to buying in a few months' time.

The one that has really taken our fancy so far in terms of general finish and lay-out os the Swift Bolero. The one we saw was a 10 plate.

However, I'm wondering if this van would be too large for a first timer? Although I am a confident driver I have not driven anything this long before.

I would really appreciate members' guidance / advice on tis issue.

2. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Is the layout right, if so then go for it otherwise you are going to spend thousands on one thats not quite right. After about 10 min of driving your going to realise it was the wrong choice.

Ask for a test drive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4matt

4matt Read Only Funster

Ever towed a caravan? If you have then you will manage the MH no trouble. The caravan Club offer helpful driving instruction for a few quid. Or you could hire a van before you buy and see how you feel. The thing is If you think this van suits you then go for it. We spent six or seven months looking before we finally found one the right size and layout. We had one compromise with our chosen van and that was a slightly smaller wash room than we wanted but everything else was perfect for us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 4matt

4matt Read Only Funster

Oh and by the way welcome to the forum:thumb:

5. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

driving a mh and pulling a caravan are to different ways of driving ask for a test drive remember this saying (THE SLOWER U GO THE LESS DAMAGE U DO)once t get a test drive ull know if its for u then pick your lay-out:thumb:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

size may seem daunting at first but if you remember a few things it's soon overcome.

1....you are longer than usual so swing wider on junctions...especially left hand turns

2....you are wider than usual so pull out a little further from the kerb and parked cars.

3....you are heavier than usual so anticipate braking a little earlier.

4.....you are taller than usual so be extra vigilant of low bridges and height barriers etc

In real terms you may only be 10 ft longer and 2ft wider than an average car.

Don't let size put you off what you consider to be the motor home you want.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Size does count !!

My first motorhome and to date, an Autotrail Scout ! 7 metres, 6 berth and when I bought it I was single !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

The more room the better in my book !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Our first MH, still in the drive after bringing it home 600 miles, 7.5m long, no back window and a reversing camera :Eek!: You'll get used to it very quickly :thumb:

9. maz

maz Funster

Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

As others have said, be sure to have a (lengthy) test drive. I went straight from driving a Honda Jazz to an 8.3m long motorhome. Setting off on the test drive my knees were shaking; after 10 mins I was rather enjoying myself. :Smile:

Use your mirrors to check your distance out from the kerb and see what your tail end is doing. After a while you develop a sort of 'feel' for the length behind you. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's really quite simple. You will either cope with the size or reduce it until you can cope.

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Bolero is a nice van to drive, you will quickly get the feel of it, if in doubt just don't drive faster than you are happy with and it will all fall into place

Peter

12. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Van

If you like the layout, like the look of it etc, then go for it. 'Vans seem to shrink once you start loading things in!!!

There are manoeuvering courses available, or failing that, have a word with a local HGV training school and ask if they would accompany you for a couple of hours.

Russell

13. patch

patch Read Only Funster

We bought our first MH in December. We found the best thing to do was decide on the layout and then look to see what is available. You wont want to keep changing van . far too expensive . We bought a Bessecar E520 which is just over 7 m and is a 2 berth. My other half does the driving - although I have plucked up enough courage to drive on site - and once used to the van went on the CCC driving course which was quite useful. Good luck:

14. lindylou

lindylou Funster

I worried about the size when we bought our Bessacarr 769. 8.67 metres.Had her for 3 years now and had no problems. Hubby drives and if unsure I nip out and keep an eye on the rear. We love the space too much to want a smaller van, and love our island bed.

Lin:Smile:

15. Susannah

Susannah Read Only Funster

As others have said, if the layout is the right one for you, buy it! Our first motorhome was 8.5 metres, and I loved driving it right from the start (I didn't even test drive it). We recently changed to a slightly longer one, but with an island bed - perfect!! :Smile::Smile::Smile:

16. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

The HGV school is a good idea 1 day on 7.5 tonne you will learn some thing and will give you chance to drive something a little bigger then what you are looking at
    could be a good investment

17. amkirman

amkirman Funster

Go for it, my first mh is 8.6 MTS, love the space.

18. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

We chickened out on our first motorhome and soon regretted it. What we have now is a lot longer but easier to drive and has never been a problem.Go for it!:thumb:

19. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

I am currently driving a bolero , bought it new last year , must say the first run was a tad scary getting use to the length/width of it. Once your driving it the confidence will grow and the enjoyment of driving it will be second to none. Its always good to have a co pilot to begin with. Must say the bolero is a great van , if its the one you want then I'm sure your be very happy with it.

20. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

First of all welcome to the forum, size is something you will get used to so I wouldn't worry too much, more important might be weight depending when you passed your driving test etc , oh and before parting with any money get any potential purchased thoroughly checked over make sure everything works and check, for any signs of damp/water ingress, and delaminated floors, all can be fixed but not cheap and not a good start to motorhoming