Too large for a first motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Jezinio

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi

We have just started looking around motorhomes with a view to buying in a few months' time.

The one that has really taken our fancy so far in terms of general finish and lay-out os the Swift Bolero. The one we saw was a 10 plate.

However, I'm wondering if this van would be too large for a first timer? Although I am a confident driver I have not driven anything this long before.

I would really appreciate members' guidance / advice on tis issue.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Is the layout right, if so then go for it otherwise you are going to spend thousands on one thats not quite right. After about 10 min of driving your going to realise it was the wrong choice.

Ask for a test drive.

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Ever towed a caravan? If you have then you will manage the MH no trouble. The caravan Club offer helpful driving instruction for a few quid. Or you could hire a van before you buy and see how you feel. The thing is If you think this van suits you then go for it. We spent six or seven months looking before we finally found one the right size and layout. We had one compromise with our chosen van and that was a slightly smaller wash room than we wanted but everything else was perfect for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Oh and by the way welcome to the forum:thumb:

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year

Ever towed a caravan? If you have then you will manage the MH no trouble. The caravan Club offer helpful driving instruction for a few quid. Or you could hire a van before you buy and see how you feel. The thing is If you think this van suits you then go for it. We spent six or seven months looking before we finally found one the right size and layout. We had one compromise with our chosen van and that was a slightly smaller wash room than we wanted but everything else was perfect for us.
driving a mh and pulling a caravan are to different ways of driving ask for a test drive remember this saying (THE SLOWER U GO THE LESS DAMAGE U DO)once t get a test drive ull know if its for u then pick your lay-out:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
size may seem daunting at first but if you remember a few things it's soon overcome.

1....you are longer than usual so swing wider on junctions...especially left hand turns

2....you are wider than usual so pull out a little further from the kerb and parked cars.

3....you are heavier than usual so anticipate braking a little earlier.

4.....you are taller than usual so be extra vigilant of low bridges and height barriers etc

In real terms you may only be 10 ft longer and 2ft wider than an average car.

Don't let size put you off what you consider to be the motor home you want.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Size does count !!

My first motorhome and to date, an Autotrail Scout ! 7 metres, 6 berth and when I bought it I was single !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

The more room the better in my book !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Our first MH, still in the drive after bringing it home 600 miles, 7.5m long, no back window and a reversing camera :whatthe: You'll get used to it very quickly :thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

As others have said, be sure to have a (lengthy) test drive. I went straight from driving a Honda Jazz to an 8.3m long motorhome. Setting off on the test drive my knees were shaking; after 10 mins I was rather enjoying myself. :Smile:

Use your mirrors to check your distance out from the kerb and see what your tail end is doing. After a while you develop a sort of 'feel' for the length behind you. :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi

We have just started looking around motorhomes with a view to buying in a few months' time.

The one that has really taken our fancy so far in terms of general finish and lay-out os the Swift Bolero. The one we saw was a 10 plate.

However, I'm wondering if this van would be too large for a first timer? Although I am a confident driver I have not driven anything this long before.

It's really quite simple. You will either cope with the size or reduce it until you can cope.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Bolero is a nice van to drive, you will quickly get the feel of it, if in doubt just don't drive faster than you are happy with and it will all fall into place

Peter

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Van

If you like the layout, like the look of it etc, then go for it. 'Vans seem to shrink once you start loading things in!!!

There are manoeuvering courses available, or failing that, have a word with a local HGV training school and ask if they would accompany you for a couple of hours.

Russell

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
We bought our first MH in December. We found the best thing to do was decide on the layout and then look to see what is available. You wont want to keep changing van . far too expensive . We bought a Bessecar E520 which is just over 7 m and is a 2 berth. My other half does the driving - although I have plucked up enough courage to drive on site - and once used to the van went on the CCC driving course which was quite useful. Good luck:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I worried about the size when we bought our Bessacarr 769. 8.67 metres.Had her for 3 years now and had no problems. Hubby drives and if unsure I nip out and keep an eye on the rear. We love the space too much to want a smaller van, and love our island bed.

Lin:Smile:

Susannah

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
As others have said, if the layout is the right one for you, buy it! Our first motorhome was 8.5 metres, and I loved driving it right from the start (I didn't even test drive it). We recently changed to a slightly longer one, but with an island bed - perfect!! :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If you like the layout, like the look of it etc, then go for it. 'Vans seem to shrink once you start loading things in!!!

There are manoeuvering courses available, or failing that, have a word with a local HGV training school and ask if they would accompany you for a couple of hours.

Russell

The HGV school is a good idea 1 day on 7.5 tonne you will learn some thing and will give you chance to drive something a little bigger then what you are looking at
could be a good investment

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We chickened out on our first motorhome and soon regretted it. What we have now is a lot longer but easier to drive and has never been a problem.Go for it!:thumb:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I am currently driving a bolero , bought it new last year , must say the first run was a tad scary getting use to the length/width of it. Once your driving it the confidence will grow and the enjoyment of driving it will be second to none. Its always good to have a co pilot to begin with. Must say the bolero is a great van , if its the one you want then I'm sure your be very happy with it.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hi

First of all welcome to the forum, size is something you will get used to so I wouldn't worry too much, more important might be weight depending when you passed your driving test etc , oh and before parting with any money get any potential purchased thoroughly checked over make sure everything works and check, for any signs of damp/water ingress, and delaminated floors, all can be fixed but not cheap and not a good start to motorhoming

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
After decades of tugging I bought a MH. We had looked at Autotrails and liked the 635. Along came my Swift Kontiki at a price I would pay, basically the same layout. Paid the cash, drove it home, reversed on drive (parallel to path as caravan too long for normal drive), then realised a bit longer than Autotrail.
Yes, by 0.9 metre so can't get car on drive as well.
I have approx 3ft to spare and neighbours Discovery overhangs footpath as well.
So 2 points really,
(1) can you park / store a bigger van? Mine is normally stored elsewhere though
(2) if so, get what you want, I can park her anywhere there is a space but reversing cameras help.

BUT, it's the width you have to watch, once the cab is through, the rest follows ! ! !

The reak trick is to get SHMBO to drive it..........................

Attachments

• length.jpg
    length.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 11

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread