TomTom (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I'm in the middle of updating my GoLive 1005 camper & caravan. Doing the speed cameras, the installation stalls on 99%. I want to update the maps for a forthcoming french trip but am concerned it will stall again & I'll be left with no maps if it deletes the old ones first. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Chris (confused!)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
How long has the update taken so far?
Are you using MyDrive? If so have you cleared the cache?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I have had that problem with my tomtom when I try to load up via my Windows 8 laptop. It works perfectly on my Windows 7 netbook though.

I also have a Tomtom 5000 and that updates brilliantly on my Windows 8 machine and transfers Favourites form my old machine as well. Hopefully Tomtom will add the POI facility to the TT5000 soon. In the meantime I have all the likely Aires I am going to visit when I go over in a few days individually and as a route. I am able to change the order of the route or add new stops to it if I want to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
How long has the update taken so far?
Are you using MyDrive? If so have you cleared the cache?

Yes I am using MyDrive - how do you clear the cache? Not attempted the maps yet, but with speed cameras it takes about 5 minutes to get to 99% then it's been sitting there for about an hour! Only updating UK, Ireland & the Netherlands. Thanks,

Chris

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TomTom should invest in new servers.

downloaded a daily update last night.....just under 1000kb, took over 3 hours according to time remaining....still took over an hour.
my download speed is 5meg.

when i did the first update from new it was overnight.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi papajohn

I am lucky that I have 58meg download and it took about 30 minutes to download the data and a little over 1 hour to fully update my new TT5000 and that included a new map which is over 5GB . Suspect therefore less the quality of their servers but the data transfer rate for the download and then the speed of the Tomtom itself to upload the new data from your computer.. As you can see from my previous post I do have the odd problems but I get there.

Funnily enough when updating I have had it show an error and stop working. It did it 4 times when updating the TT5000. All I did was pull out the cable wait a couple of seconds and then reconnect it. After a few seconds it started updating again from its last stop point .

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Regarding clearing the cashe there is information on the Tomtom site under support.

However

click on the Mydrive icon bottom right of your computer

Click Settings

Select cache in the menu across the top.

Select the clear cashe optoion.

Then you have to start again.

If you have a windows 7 machine though try that if you still have problems.

Doug

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Tomtom were taken to court by Microsoft for using the sofware that works Home, They had to devise a whole new software programme which is Mydrive. They were allowed to carry on using Home for the old units. No doubt they are still using the same servers or even better ones now but the file sizes are so much bigger now which is why you have to split the maps on the old units as the storage on them is to small.

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Regarding clearing the cashe there is information on the Tomtom site under support.

However

Thanks for that - I discovered it earlier but made no difference. Running XP Professional with Chrome. Think I'll just give up & hope I don't end up in the middle of a field!

Chris

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chris

Note Tomtom do not list XP as compatable with MyDrive. Got a mate????

Did you turn the computer off aftyer clicking on the Cashe option? That may make a difference!!!!!!

Remember a GPS is only a tool and if it tells you to turn left into canal or field its your decision. We are off to France a a few days if we see a van in a field that not aa Aire or Campsite I swill think of you.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what I really hate about tom tom is it clears your history and recent destinations when you update, they are not backed up and no way to save/or get them back.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chris

Spotted this on another blog about the same problem,. Don't know if this will help although I can understand your nervousness

"Always happens to me using my VIA 120. BUT if you notice when updating it is usually shows stuck on 99% "DOWNLOADING". At this stage it is not INSTALLING the new software update (Green progression bar is shown). Answer, when known to be stuck at 99% in "DOWNLOAD" mode simply disconnect your TomTom and switch off. Then reboot your computer again. When fully rebooted reconnect your TomTom USB connection cable. MyTomTom will detect your update and will automatically then INSTALL the software update(Orange progression bar will now be shown in installing mode). This has always worked for me. On completion you can check your update version of your TomTom in settings.

There have also been comments to the effect that it happens if you are updating the Mapshares. Try with the Mapshare update unticked to see if it completes the other update okay.

"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
new maps are ok but not absolutely necessary.

if you find yourself on a new bit of road in a field you know the field was there along with the old road and at some point not far away the two shall merge.

in other words bypasses and reroutes are just that...bypasses and reroutes.
they rejoin the old road close by.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
what I really hate about tom tom is it clears your history and recent destinations when you update, they are not backed up and no way to save/or get them back.
Never found this, how do you update?

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Chris,
had the very same issue with mine which I bought at Christmas, took it back and got a replacement, never had an issue since.(I'm on windows 7)
Regards,
Lee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back