TomTom

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, May 23, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

TomTom have loaned me a Caravan & Camper Sat Nav so i might test it and tell you all about it. TomTom are not in my good books right now as the last couple of machines i have had from them turned out to be pretty naff

First impressions out of the box are good, the machine responds much snappier than what I have been used to. I've played with the menu systems and they ask for width and length of motorhome. If you are thinking about buying hand on a while for my thoughts:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Be very interested in your findings as I'm thinking of getting one having been down a few very narrow lanes in the past few weeks! It's that or the Snooper Ventura Pro Sound DB8500, but again cannot find any good write ups from MH owners.

3. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

Which maps and nav core are they Jim, i know your on about the caravan and camper sat nav but the latest truck maps and nav core have many problems I have read in that they are not routing around low bridges or weight restrictions

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. LyndonRV

LyndonRV Read Only Funster

I have 1 for3 years now I fond it to be very good just updated mape etc

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Tomtom or Snooper?

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Could this application be downloaded to existing Tom Toms we have the old Tom Tom 700 updated and want to keep it because of its excellent memory, but a down load of this would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Carol, this is not an "App" it is a Sat nav device.

8. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

What is the Max length and width you can programme into the TomTom and is it Europe.

9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Thanks John, I did realise that, me and my technical terminology are not that good,::Blush:

10. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I have the camper and caravan Sat Nav and very happy with it.

11. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have been using a TomTom Caravan and Camper Sat Nav for 10 months or so now. It has guided us around the UK and down through France and then on to Benidorm in Spain and back without a hitch.

Brisey.

12. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have been using the Tom Tom Camper version for about 9 months now. I have two mounts, one in the car and one in the MO-Home. All I have to do is tell it which vehicle I'm driving.

If I'm driving the Mo-Ho it adds about 25% in time on any journey to the car timings. It has so-far been everything I hoped it would be.

I haven't updated maps yet as I'm sure this is where my last TomTom started misbehaving following an Update.

The live traffic and two minute updates have saved me many times when an accident has occurred on my daily homeward journey. Only 31 miles but often the Worthing to Portsmouth A27 is clogged up.

The Google option has also saved my bacon. I punched in what I wanted, it gave me about 7 options listed closest first then I navigated directly to the one of my choice; Brilliant.

Very pleased so far....................Griff
    :thumb:

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You'll have Swift lending you Kontiki next:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dubiousp

Dubiousp Read Only Funster

I did a write up a little while ago, my first impressions were a little over priced but having used in europe love it.

I also use this app which is good for setting up pois

http://softop.tomtomusers.com/TomPoiEdr/

15. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Have to agree with that, but I'm glad I spent the extra now! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. JAwithBoots

JAwithBoots

TomTom caravan & camper user

We have had a TomTom Caravan and Camper with Europe Maps for a year and are quite impressed.
    We tow a smart so it is convenient to switch from Camper to Car. The difference in routes for getting from A to B is very different.
    The catalogue of campsites is quite extensive with some site details of facilities etc.
    We used it to drive down to Portugal, I did keep a paper map open just in case but it coped.
    The extra TomTom Services are useful - don't use the Speed Camera bit but the Traffic has rerouted us (have it on ask setting not automatic) when roads have been closed for accidents.
    I have used the local search and weather when I could not get free wifi on my phone etc. to find restaurants, supermarkets and launderettes. When abroad I used the Twitter link which is automatically offered when you arrive at your destination (once set up)You can retype over the automatic message but it will always end with tomtom address on the end, but useful to let those at home know where you are.

I could be biased because we have always used TomTom products but the Smart came with a Pioneer Sat Nav and I'm still trying to get on with it, so we've now copped out and use the TomTom in both vehicles.

Julie-Ann & Mike

17. busby

busby Funster

I have used a map for over 50 years. Never ever let me down or broken. Did purchase a HGV friendly map for last twenty years on road. Shows bridge heights and weight limits. Busby.:Smile:

18. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Would be good to hear how it performs as im fed up with my sat nav trying to take me down what seem like footpaths.Also do they do this to fit the blue and me system?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  19. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I must be getting dense Dave, what is a blue and me system?...........:hardhat:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Its an intergrated system on Fiats where as the unit plugs into the dashboard.I did try one last year but wasnt fully integrated i.e. the sound didnt over ride the stereo.Hoping that they sort it as its nice and tidy.