Tomtom Go Live Camper & Caravan

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Ridgeway, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

2. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Never been convinced about the navigation systems which are advertised as effectively knowing the width of the road - how do they do that?

I can understand that the system will know about width restrictions which are known to the local authority and registered as such, but fail to see how other narrow roads are recorded by the system.

Tried a Snooper which advertises the same facility, it failed to warn me of a road which I know is far too narrow for an A Class Hymer - sent it back for a refund.

The only sensible way to navigate is with a combination of a sat nav and a good map.

3. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

So basically it's slightly bigger and twice the price of the one I'm selling here...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/gps-navigation/49174-tomtom-go-live-1000-eu-sale.html

...with a poi file and the promise of knowing the width of roads and height of bridges (which can be got in a poi file anyway)

I'm not convince the road width thing will work...the snooper gets it wrong and there are too many variables to handle road widths accurately.

I think it is tomtom's attempt to feature match the snooper and priced accordingly.

4. Dubiousp

Dubiousp Read Only Funster

Tomtom Camper

I bought one of these camping units about two weeks ago . My first impressions were good nice screen so very geeky usefull functions . I used it with the motor home this weekend for the first time, I must say it was a little disappointing the route it took was not the easiest. I only say that because I know the area, now I know with these things they should only be used as a good guide but I expected a little more. I'm going to try the other settings eg van or caravan to see what happens.

5. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Bought them for stock after using one myself. Loaded with functions and I like the fact that I input height, length, width and up to a point weight.

It is "live" so I get live traffic reports, weather locally, at my destination or any other place I request.

Loads and loads of other functions that I haven't played with yet.

I'll answer any ones questions after my trip around France next month

Eddie

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Any feedback yet Eddie ?

7. hawkmoon

hawkmoon Read Only Funster

I bought one and used it for my two week trip around France.

Generally pleased with it although I thought it ought to be quicker sorting out the route for a £350 bit of kit.

On my return last weekend I received an update so that it can now recognise vehicles heavier than 3500kgs.

Some of the roads were a bit narrow which makes you think it should have put you on an alternative road but then artics come trundling thro - you just keep fingers crossed that you don't meet one coming the other way on the narrow bits lol.

The Live services are quite good with the unit warning you of delays & offering you alternative routes but this is an extra expence after the first 12 months.

The unit consistanly sent me in different directions than my mates older TomTom which caused me some frustration wondering why he was turning left when my unit told me to go right but all in all it was useful to have.

8. Dubiousp

Dubiousp Read Only Funster

Tom Tom

Just about every other day or third day I get a notification of updates, which is good especially for a new product. Certainly the unit it self is packed with lots of features useful ones at that.

My first post really related to the routing which seemed to take me the most complicated route ever but didn't seem to take note of the vehicle dims I entered. That said it did get me there although the route I would have planned would be different.

An interesting feature is the ability to switch between vehicles I have noticed that when set as a car the routes are interesting and mostly work well. One thing I have to say is that like a lot of these active devices as time moves on they will get better.