TomTom GO LIVE 1005

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Detnor, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Detnor

Detnor Funster

In case anyone is looking at buying one of these, 5 inch screen, Europe maps for 45 countries, twitter etc - Amazon have them discounted to £143.00

These normally sell around £240

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006NK5NOE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cheaphighstre-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B006NK5NOE[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

That link brings up the product at the normal price and you need to click on the link below the item to see where amazon are selling it at the fantastic price you found.

This link 'should' take you straight there

LINK

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

"Usually dispatched within 1 - 2 months.":Eeek:

4. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Things move fast, when I looked this morning they were available on a 2 day delivery, the link must change as they move their prices.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The first review is pretty scathing.

The second is more like wriitten by Amazon or TomTom.

I remember the furore when it can out and TT were trying on a policy of "buy our POIs or forget it". Did they aver fix this ?

6. philk

philk

Tomtom 1005

I bought three, two for family one for us.
    In March it got hit with the server bug and was replaced, it was a bugger to get the replacement on my account. This one packed in in June in France, I rang TomTom, the service sounded plausible, we will do this that whatever.
    The replacement took hours or calls and emails to get it onto my account and by last week i took my money back from Amazon and bough the new Garmin 2390, so far so good.
    My dads 1005 has all the same problems.

Phil

7. Pigwam

Pigwam Read Only Funster

I see from a TomTom press release that this has been replaced in May 2012 with the 'TomTom Go Live Camper & Caravan' which is based on the TomTom Go 1005 Live, which may explain why Amazon is out of stock.

although tomtom still list it in production bit strange

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. Detnor

Detnor Funster

As a bit of follow up
    I purchased the £143 tomtom 1005 satnav on Sunday and it arrived Tuesday from Amazon. There seemed to be a lot of negative publicity on the web, but as someone who bought a Fiat based van from Brownhills, it appears I like to take risks. :BigGrin:

It worked straight out of the box, and with the very basic leaflets included, I downloaded the tomtom software and then let it sort out the updates. Start to finish was 50 minutes, that included downloading the latest maps.

Having spent another 30 minutes trying to do things, I simply goggled each question I had, found the answers and made the changes. Last thing was to upload some points of interest, thanks to google, I found the community content button and put a couple of sets on to try. (loads of memory available). Google seemed to work ok but only briefly tried it.

It got me to work this morning, not sure I needed to know the weather at the office, but the traffic info was correct.

Next step to load more poi's and see if it keeps going.

It is different to my 7 year old tomtom that has taken me all over Europe with only one hiccup when it got very hot, but time will tell.

9. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I have the 1000 eu model (smaller screen but the same unit otherwise) and I haven't bothered with poi files.

I'm hoping that when I need to find a "whatever" that the google local search will be better.

On the two occasions I've done that it worked very well.

Perhaps abroad that may be less useful (not sure if the local search works outside of uk) but whilst in blighty it should be an easier and more up to date service.

10. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well, as Bryan is aware, I purchased the smaller screen one directly from Bryan who had two on order due to a delivery mix up.

Twice the Google page has got me out of trouble but on many more occasions the 'live' traffic has saved my bacon long before I got to the problem.

Brilliant bit of kit, though as yet I've not downloaded any POI's...........Griff
    :thumb:

11. JJ

JJ Funster

It most certainly does work outside the UK Bryan... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

12. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I bought an XXL TomTom and I cant find the activation code, sent no end of messages, am getting there.

My old TomTom works ok, but I was hoping to get the more up to data map, apparently, you dont get free upgrades for a year, only within 30 days of purchase, if a new map has been released..