Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I am just a little annoyed. I bought into the TomTom map update service, which indicates that I would get a Quarterly map update over the next 12months. I had to purchase the latest update, as well at an additional cost, when starting the update service.
That was last October, and how many updates has there been since then ? NONE.
Apparently I have paid for updates, but only receive them, if TomTom bother to update the map within the 12 month period that I paid for.
I think I've been conned.
Anyone else fallen foul of this or am I the only gullible idiot funster around?:cry:

Pete:Doh:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
I am just a little annoyed. I bought into the TomTom map update service, which indicates that I would get a Quarterly map update over the next 12months. I had to purchase the latest update, as well at an additional cost, when starting the update service.
That was last October, and how many updates has there been since then ? NONE.
Apparently I have paid for updates, but only receive them, if TomTom bother to update the map within the 12 month period that I paid for.
I think I've been conned.
Anyone else fallen foul of this or am I the only gullible idiot funster around?:cry:

Pete:Doh:

I think you've been conned buying a Tom Tom (just as I was) mine died after 6 months usage (we were in Italian Alps at the time!!:cry:) I took it into Radio Shack and the guy couldn't fix it but told me that he has had about 100 in for fixing over the last 2 years and he can only fix about 10%. He said they are cr*p and to buy a Garmin instead.(which I have).::bigsmile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
As I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I have one of the very original TomTom Go models, it is now nearly five years old and is up to date as of yesterday (I, too, have bought the 3 month update service) - and I am very, very pleased with mine.

I use it almost every time that I go out in the car and the RV and I do tell TomTom when I find roads that need updating or speed camera locations that have changed etc., etc., etc.

There have been two occasions when I have mucked it up trying to update it but I find that a quick poke with a bent paper-clip in the little hole in the back re-sets the program to its original condition - and nowadays I do actually back it up on my laptop everytime that I update it.

Other than I wish that TomTom would put a 'large-vehicle' category into the system, I have no complaints as yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had a "discussion" with TomTom support a couple of weeks ago about map update.

I've been very disappointed with the mapping on my TomTom Go 300 which was a Christmas present in 2005. I bought a map upgrade almost a year later to find that changes from over a year previously were still not accurate so have not purchased an upgrade since that time as I don't consider the cost (nearly £40) to be value for money.

A couple of weeks ago I synchronised the unit with TT Home and was offered the upgrade service. It appeared to be upgrade to the latest version and/or subscribe to the quarterly updates for just under £20 each but then I found I couldn't have just the upgrade without the update. I felt conned and I've told TomTom so.

The updates offer definitely gave the impression that there would be an update every quarter so I'm surprised you've had none since October - makes me even more pleased I decided to stick to using the TT as it is plus printed atlas.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My TT One XL Europe is more than two years old and has given great service all over Europe.. my only complaint, and it's a common fault apparently, is the poor battery life.. if I don't leave it on charge it goes flat in a few days and won't boot up until charged.. However, new batteries are relatively cheap and easily changed ..

Jim

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Same experience, recently added POI and it suddenly said that my map was “6 quarters” and needed updating...
We have just used it in Brittany and it was having a ‘pig’ of a time in Morlaix, it was trying to take us down steps and all sorts. Besides that its far better than the £1200 one installed in my 4 x 4.

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I also bought the update service for my TomTom One XL last October and have had two updates since then; haven't checked though - they may have sent me the original map twice :winky:

crag

Free Member
Jan 17, 2008
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Years
I too wasn't best pleased to read I had to update something else before I could download the latest maps. I could nearly buy a new unit with the cost of these two updates.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
had mine about 3 years now and never felt the need to line tomtom's pockets on map updates.....
if im on a new stretch of road it goes nuts but i know ill soon be on the original road and all will be calm again.
i use common sense and my eyes.....if it says turn left/right and its a oneway(wrong way),dead end etc i dont turn, simple..clever how it re-routes you...innit.

3 years ago i bought new euro maps on disc for my navman 910, cost over £100......what a waste of time and money.
telling me to turn into fields/olive-groves and water culverts in spain.:whatthe:
these where roads in a dark and distant past but not used for years, just farm tracks now....never used it since:Sad: and the reason for buying tomtom.:thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We have a Tom Tom 700. It failed going from N Wales to France at Calais docks. last year

I thought I had the wrong charger, but it did it again running in our car.
It stayed "dead" until I charged it on the PC and on the Tom Tom Home page after resetting with the paperclip technique. It took 2 days before it charged.
Now we only put it on when we are in unknown territory.
Now do we take it to Italy? We won't be taking a laptop with us so can't reboot.
Lucille

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Evening funsters.:thumb:

I have a TT 730 which i have had for about six months now and i use it on a daily basis to get me around europe to the main sea ports.
I have never paid for any updates but plug it into the laptop once a week for map share and camera updates via the internet and also create back up files of my system. This is all free and takes minutes to do.
Only had one problem which i managed to sort in minutes. On arrival in France via Eurotunnel i switched the box on and it just froze on me after entering security number. I had no map and needed to get a port in the centre of Antwerp which i planned out the night before on the TT. I just pushed the reset button with a pen and luckly all my places of interest stayed on and it worked fine. Yes the TT does struggel driving around ferry ports and new build areas but as other members have said common sense plays a big part.
Battery life is pants

Mark

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
These Sat navs are a waste of time and money! The maps are out of date and they keep sending people down the wrong roads or roads the vehicle won't fit down!

How many times have we heard this drivel?

Camp outside your favourite bookshop and get the very latest map as it is delivered. Will it be up todate? Of course it won't. It takes a good while to plan a road, build it, map it, digitise it, print it, sell it then offer the data on the open market. I'm thinking about 5 years. Multiply this by each country covered by the sat nav systems and ask yourself if you really want to argue with the spouse at every junction.

I had a TT 300 about 3 months after they were introduced. A couple of years back I made the mistake of lending it to friends going to France for their hols. They loved it so much I had to prise it out of their hands when they returned.

Turned out well tho. Gave them the 300 for their Xmas and birthdays for the next 2 years and got myself a refurbished 700 at a good price from TotalPDA.

3 simple rules
1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (i.e. don't update the software if it is working for you)
2. Plan your routes the old fashioned way, use a paper map then work out the various waypoints for the route. (part of the fun of going away is planning the trip)
3. Use your head and your eyes! If the road looks wrong, ignore it. The Lady Jane will find an alternative. If you just don't want to go her way, don't go. She will never get bored looking for an alternative.

And a big bonus, that few will think of (and I'll thank you not to spread it about)....

When you get stuck in a jam on the motorway come off at the next exit. If Lady Jane tells you to go left at the end of the road, go right! Everybody else with a sat nav will be going left so a jam is just down the road. Go right, if you can, and you may just get away with it.

Have a safe journey

Wurdsmiff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back