TomTom Camper version

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Popeye, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Popeye

Popeye Funster

On [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VWX6I8/ref=pe_186441_34575041_email_1p_0_ti"]TomTom Camper version[/ame] is available for around £300 now............ :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I've read mixed reviews and I'm still sitting on the fence.

That and the new Fiat x2/50 cab has a socket to plug in a Tom Tom

[​IMG]

and I don't think this will fit

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Ever since TomTom fell out with google maps and replaced them with chinese maps the validity of those maps has raised questions. I'm sticking with my old tomtom with out of date google maps. any map that puts the falkland islands off the cornish coast is I suspect about as much use as voice recognition on phones and likely to get you in as much trouble.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

4. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I think if i could download the MH icon used on it on to my Garmin Zumo that would do the same job .
    I have all the campsite POI loaded on mine from previous links from on here, don`t need much else:thumb:
    I have had 4 sat navs over the years , i won`t be buying anymore ,i just use the lifetime map upgrade on mine .
    Also for a back up the gps on my phone works ok too :thumb:

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I thought that was Apple (iPhone), not TomTom.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

have I got it wrong again ? Ah well can't afford an upgrade anyway, thats my excuse

7. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I bought a tom tom for blue and me and took it straight back to fiat,All that socket does is 1) Hold the unit which i suppose is ok 2) powers the unit, which i suppose is pretty good (no wires). However its not fully integrated and the unit does not over ride the stereo . Even without the stereo off the volume is pretty poor. I spoke to both fiat and tom tom and both blame each other for design problems.At the end of the day its got to be fiats problem i would have thought.They did tell me there were no plans for an upgrade nor for a fix in the near future if at all. They didnt quibble regarding a refund so i assume they have had quite a few returns.

8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well I have owned the Camper version since last September. I still own my old Tom-Tom and as regards Maps, the new one is far clearer and even though I have paid for all the updates on the old one it still shows a local crossroad as a roundabout, so I'm chuffed with the new one.

If I tell it I'm driving the motorhome it seems to increase the journey time by about 15-20%.

I've tested it on a route including a low bridge and it diverts me in the van but not in the car.

It's expensive but so far I would say, the best of the three I've owned.... Griff
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Thanks Dave - I think I'll steer clear then!

Sounds like committees were involved in the planing of Blue & Me - hence an unmitigated failure :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I have been thinking of buying a sat nav for a while now, but usually resist because I haven't been abroad in the MH yet, and I am pretty conversant with UK roads, so didn't feel the need for one.

After reading this post and having a look at what the Tom Tom is capable of I thought that it now seemed like a good idea. So I had a quick google (other search engines are available :BigGrin:) and found the Garmin DEZL 560LT Truck and Caravan sat nav. This has a MH facility built in, so you can switch between car, truck etc, like the Tom Tom.

They are both available from Halfords for roughly the same price, but the main difference for me is that there are no subscription or update fees and no expiration dates with the Garmin. It says that the Garmin has "free Lifetime Traffic updates, and is updated constantly".
    The question that I have to ask is, does this mean that to update actual maps I would have to pay extra for that, say, once or twice a year ?

I think that the Tom Tom may be the more complete package for MH related info, but the subscription fees are a bit of a put off for me. Being a good Yorkshire lad, I like to keep my money just that. Mine.

Any thoughts or comments gratefully received, I can take it. :hardhat:

11. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I have a Garmin and updates are free, i have just updated mine and have ALL European maps.Just plug into computer and it tells you if there are any updates for your unit.

12. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

I think it's four free map upgrades each year. Allow a few hours on receipt to get latest uploads, especially if your broadband is slow.

The setup instructions were written by a techy, so do not exactly match what you actually needc to do, but its fairly intuitive and if in doubt re-boot everything sorted it.

Speed cameras are extra, Europe wide about £25 pa, the French option gets round the speed camera ID issue by warning of a danger zone or similar.

Switching between car and MH is easy.

PLEASE be aware any truck/ MH width setting is based on overall carriageway width, not available carriageway width where vehicles park, so not getting a width warning does not mean a road is wide enough to drive down.

Only had mine 2 days. Did a lot of review research first, many reviews are not objective and lack good evidence. In the end it came down to me that Garmin had the least really negative comments, and had free maps. On both the free maps is tied up with jargon concerning how many years you will get it for, unit life etc.. I reckon if I get 5 years it will have paid for itself.

Phone Bluetooth is better than a dedicated Bluetooth unit I have, so I will be using the sat nav from now on.

I looked at versions for iPad but could not get sufficient information on the bolt on GPS unit to be certain it would work. Also, SWMBO did not want to use it as its better used keeping grandchildren quiet on a journey.

We will still carry a good truckers map and do research for journeys we are not familiar with. It belt and braces for us.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dennismartin

dennismartin Read Only Funster

ive just got a 7 inch truck version sat nav up to now is brilliant £75 ebay
    just one slight problem it looks like they have programmed the speed signs in wrong it shows in kph even with all the settings been correct

14. kipsmum

kipsmum Read Only Funster

Opinions on GPS

I've also been looking at buying a satnav for the motorhome for a while and have found the comments very interesting. Has anyone bought the satnav the Camping & Caravanning Club (a Garmin, I think) advertise as 'theirs'? It would be interesting to have a motorhomer's view on it. I assume it might be a little different in some way to other Garmin satnavs for motorhomes/caravans etc?? ... though I could be wrong in that assumption :Wink:! Hubby died just before Christmas so I only have my collie (Kip) to travel with and to be honest, he's useless at navigation besides, he's usually asleep when I'm driving or is it that he is just keeping his eyes tightly shut?? :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

I have extensive experience of both a Garmin nuLink 1695 and several TomTom's, the latest being the Camper version discounted to me following a warranty claim.

First of all, the Garmin's routing was 'unusual' preferring country lanes running parallel to A roads despite setting the preferences correctly and some strange journeys through cities, such as Glasgow, despite setting a preference for motorways :Angry:

Secondly TomTom's Live traffic is fantastic and has successfully re-routed us many times. Garmin once routed us away from heavy congestion travelling south on the M6 near Wigan, into even worse congestion on the surrounding roads. It took us through long queues at lights and roundabouts. When we re-joined the motorway an hour later, we found ourselves behind a truck and trailer carrying a classic car. We had previously overtaken this vehicle near Kendal :Doh:

16. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

So would your first choice be the Tom Tom camper ? We are thinking of buying one
    Have you used to in Europe ?

17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

We too have enjoyed 'Live' traffic updates, we have on several occasions also used the Google facility to get us out of the Poo.

I'm sure we are all convince that what we have purchased is the best, but I don't think the Garmin my son has loaned me is a patch on this TomTom Camper.

18. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Hi kipsmum.
    The one advertised by C&CC is endorsed by them and it is the Garmin DEZL 560 LMT. It has exactly the same features and functions.
    They have it priced for members about £25 cheaper than Halfords, but then you would have to add P&P, so if there is a Halfords near you it could be cheaper to go there.
    I've never used one, but it is one I was looking at with a view to buying after comparing to others, and listening to comments on the FUN site, of course. :BigGrin:

19. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I use a Garmin Zumo with updated maps (same software nulink i belive) and i find the same--
    Comming up to join a motorway ,sometimes it wants to take me down a parallel A or B road --Why ,when all the settings are of a 40t truck which should take me to the M Way?:Angry:

20. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I have to agree with the negative remarks on the Garmin.I had the garmin nuvi 1490T which was great with the lane guidance and knew all the new roads,But..
    It too took me on unecessary diversions,where I could see quite plainly the correct route off it went to a left turn and rejoining the route a couple miles down the road.The one I have just bought after also looking at all the truck/camper options is the Garmin 3590LMT,not a camper version ,its also great for split screen lane guidance and very quick on keeping you ontrack at roundabouts etc.But it still suffers with misguiding me off the correct route,in the same places the 1490 did,also it doesn,t know my local aldi,s is half a mile away from where it thinks it is.I,ve been using it regularly for work and its very good otherwise.Currently £228 at Halfords.