Tomar Portugal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Scrubnuts, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Scrubnuts

Scrubnuts Read Only Funster

I am now living in this wonderful country and having been an enthusiastic motorcaravanner for several years i thought you would be interested to learn that the municipal campsite in the centre of Tomar is now reopened after a lengthy closure.
    The campsite is near to the river Nabao which runs through the town and is ideally placed for sightseeing this historic and pretty place.
    I`m afraid directions are a bit sketchy at the moment as the aproach to the campsite appears to be from the Rua Fabrica de Fiacao owing to narrow streets and a one way system.
    I will endeavour to update you with better directions and sat nav coordinates when i go into town again soon.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      201.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      198.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Phil10

Phil10 Read Only Funster

Spent 2 nights there in March, half price discount 5 euros per night, lovely sight and interesting town.

3. keith

keith Funster

There is also a nice aire behind the big church with a public toilet close. Nice separated pitches so the other vans are not able to get toooooo close, :BigGrin:

We stayed there last year but it's too religious for my liking. It is however worth at least one visit as it is quite different to any where else we saw.

4. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

Tomar Campsite/Aire

Hi Keith:thumb:
    Have just come into Spain from Portugal. I believe you have mixed Tomar up with Fatima!! We stayed at both places. Fatima is the one with the spacious aire and toilets. From the front of the church it looked like a mini vatican - am I right?

At Tomar we stayed on the campsite which is in the centre of town. As reported previously by Phil it a great little site (don't tell too many people about it though). We asked before leaving if they were doing a discount next winter and apparently they are which is good news and good value. Directions to the campsite are well signposted through the "new" part of town, we found it easily without a TomTom. (I find these so irritating, I usually end up arguing with her and turn it off)!

Myfanwy

5. Scrubnuts

Scrubnuts Read Only Funster

You are quite right..Fatima is the portuguese Lourdes........and stay well away from there in May as the pope is making a visit and you won`t be able to move for worshippers.

6. lavieyuca

lavieyuca Read Only Funster

we were there last Easter holidays and I agree with all of you. It's small, clean, cheap and into the village. It's very well signposted.
    Yoli

7. keith

keith Funster

Ooooops you are right, another senior moment marked up to me. :Doh: They don't even sound similar do they. :Blush: