Tom Tom Xl IQ Route edition 2 (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thinking of changing our Tom Tom as it does not have GPS co ordinates on it, any one any views. thanks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As much as I am not a lover of Tomtoms, I must admit the latest ones are a massive leap forward.

If .. IF.. Tomtom would look to improving their customer service even half as much as they have stepped up the product spec they would be my first choice

Oh, among other GPS units I use I have an XXL which is ok but would benefit from more on board ram

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Carol

Have you got an iPhone. If so, you can buy tom tom app from the app store and not only can you navigate to co ordinates you can also navigate to a contact from your contacts.

You can also navigate to a photograph. So if you take photo say in Ilfracombe somewhere you can just navigate to that photograph and it will take you to where you took the photo

You can navigate to a recent destination.

Also, you get regular updates, to keep maps updated.

Great app.

Plus you will always have it with you wherever you go as it is your phone as well.

I find it very useful, especially when on holiday abroad, I just take a photo of campsite and then go off on my bike.
If I cannot remember my way back I use my tom tom app for iPhone and navigate to photograph.

Lesley.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good gracious Lesley that sounds amazing a bit like science fiction, quite some tool :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm utterly gobsmacked at 'lack of customer service' John!

We've had brilliant customer service from them! We had some prob early on with it, they rang Pete back - because they said it would take some time - and spent the next 45 mins on the phone sorting it. And it wasn't like they seemed to be barking up the wrong tree either, everything he said to do he explained why. And it was sorted.

Tried to buy summat just the other week and TT website was playing up and wouldn't accept the payment, so we rang. She instantly said she'd give us an £8 reduction (on a £20 order, plus P&P) and then tried to process it over the phone, but she couldn't do it either.

She said she'd advise it to 'technical' and then said "so I'll get that item in the post for you, free of charge"

And she did.

I call that really good customer service meself ...... :thumb:

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Sat nav on smartfones

Hi Carol
If you do consider the Sat Nav App for a smartfone be aware that when you travel outside of the UK some phones/providers charge for 'Roaming' , this can turn out very expensive.
We went down this route last year and bought a Nokia who have their own installed OVI maps already in the phone and which are regularly updated Free of Charge. Once outside UK you simply switch off the Internet Access to the Maps the system locks on to the Navigation Satellites and away you go F.O.C (free of charge) This May June we spent touring Germany, via Holland and return and were totally satisfied with the performance.:thumb::thumb:.
As a bonus you have a great phone and don't have to lug extra kit around.
Hope this helps.
ATB
Incamania

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Good Morning Carol, I'm still working with the Tom Tom 920. It was a birthday present 4-5 years ago and I'm still very satisfied.

I thought it didn't have co-ordinates on it but it was merely a case of searching in Menu and turning it on, and it has been brilliant. It also has the traffic updates and will override the radio if one bothers to set it up.

I use it also as the blue-tooth for my phone when in the MHome as I don't have one fitted as standard, again carries the complete phone book and works very well in deed.

I would have thought that Tom-Tom would have had a cheaper replacement for the 920 by now, so best of luck.

Regards Griff

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Our son has one of these TTs and he swears by it, as opposed to swearing at it!!

Live updates and traffic jam avoidance in particular but he does express concern that sometimes he is driving blind. He prefers to have an idea of his route via a, erm, whats it called...erm.... ah yes; Map

We are seriously looking at getting one, even though SWMBO has an iPhone.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Carol
If you do consider the Sat Nav App for a smartfone be aware that when you travel outside of the UK some phones/providers charge for 'Roaming' , this can turn out very expensive.
We went down this route last year and bought a Nokia who have their own installed OVI maps already in the phone and which are regularly updated Free of Charge. Once outside UK you simply switch off the Internet Access to the Maps the system locks on to the Navigation Satellites and away you go F.O.C (free of charge) This May June we spent touring Germany, via Holland and return and were totally satisfied with the performance.:thumb::thumb:.
As a bonus you have a great phone and don't have to lug extra kit around.
Hope this helps.
ATB
Incamania

Just to clarify. I always turn data roaming off when abroad. Tom tom app does not require you to be online.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the old 700 and its brilliant. I had a friend put the whole of Europe on it as it only had western Europe. He put all the Aires and Stelplats on last night and although the memory is now almost full it has just about everything under the sun on there including the coordinates. It can be done, but don't ask me how.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back