tom tom goes loopy ! (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
I dropped my sat nav 4 days before going to France - Panic I must get another and upload all my POI before I go. Well i thought i would give a garmin a chance - it drove me round the bend it seemed such a pain to get it to do something that was simple on my old tom tom. It wouldnt accept me entering 'home' it told me the memory was full. What? I cant be messing about with this. They said it was faulty but it put me off of Garmins:Sad:

So i returned it and brought a Tom Tom a newer version than my old one this should be good? I thought.
but first problem it wouldn't allow POI to be downloaded. I never thought for one minute it wouldnt allow me to download POIs, afterall it was newer? Still nothing i could do Argos dont accept returns unless its faulty. :shout:

Anyway we got to Calais i spent half an hour just trying to get it to take me onto a coast road ...........it wouldnt have it. So I thought if I type in a village just three miles down the road it would have to lead me onto the coast road as thats the only road that takes you there. See photos below.
Like heck would it, as you can see from the photos it instructed me to go back to England and return via the tunnel. So i check the settings maybe i had checked the box that says all journeys must include a ferry or something equally stupid. No all seemed fine.

anyway we waged war with this sat nav all week, luckily i took photos of its stupidity and returned it to argos saying its not fit for purpose.

what i need to know now, is if i downoad the Tom Tom app for Ipad can I use POI with it?
France was good fun without a sat nav and luckily Calais is small enough to find your way through.

Attachments

• France1.JPG
    France1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 61
  • France2.JPG
    France2.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 60

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
See if you can get a older Tom Tom 700 off e bay or somewhere, so much memory in them they can be updated and you can load loads into them, newer is not always better it seems.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
our old tom tom great still going but we needed european maps so rather than pay 65 quid for a update we opted for a new tom tom for 90
from day one it seemed flakey ,slow to find sat signals often recalcing for no reason but we soldiered on thinking it was probably operator error and now just over the year old it wont hold any charge cuts in and out showing low batttery even when connected
so yes it does seem the quality of tom toms id going down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Halfords were doing a deal on a TomTom Start with Western europe maps and also free upgrades for the life of the device. It was reduced to £99 and has a 5 in screen.
I downloaded Archies 30,000 campsites onto it with no problem.
On the new TomToms you have to put them on through My TomTom where as on the older ones you could just go into Windows Explorer and cut and paste the files onto the Western Europe maps.

Mike

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Tom Tom on the ipad every time for us - free updates for life and much easier to use however haven't tried putting POI's on it although have done some research and apparently it is possible.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I thought my Garmin was bad enough taking me constantly off N and D roads onto C roads. So I bought a new one which works perfectly. Seems the old was was using flaky software, an update, reinstall and general fettling and it works perfectly again as well.
I never got on with TomTom after it tried to get me to do a u turn on a dual carriageway and kept suggesting cul de sacs were good cut through to main roads!

I guess they all have quirks
Allan

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I paid for the 12 month upgrade before our latest trip. There were large portions of France and Switzerland unmapped just showing as Blue space, I was frequently told to take the exit on a motorway after I had passed it. Locating aires by coordinates is very hit and miss as repeated returns to the same place actually sent me to different sides of the town none of which were anywhere near the aire I had punched in. anything up to a quarter of a mile out, hardly precision gps.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
The best sat nav l ever had was Tom Tom when they first came out you could put sd card in never took you on silly routes, in America it never put a foot wrong, then it went tits up got another but the orignal model had been superseded was crap, changed to Garmin bit better, there brill if you haven't got a clue where your going and don't mind minor roads but they have messed up the software somewhere along the line, think they've put too much gizmo and not concentrated on mapping.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Get a nexus 7 with free navfree, you won't regret it

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
thanks 'chaser' theres a thought, but already having an ipad dont think i can justify two devices. the tom tom app is approx £54 a lot cheaper than buying a seperate sat nav and it means i will have it on the phone as well.

Its the POi s i want to get as well. I think I read somehwere that you can down load them onto google earth, but im trying to remember where i read that.
thanks everyone.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If your ipad is same as mine it hasn't got gps and will only work on wifi which isn't a lot of use on the road and the screen is to large in your windscreen but the nexus (or other 7 inch tablet tesco have one now) is just right, as I have said before , I have tried many sat navs in my job when I was working and never had anything as good as navfree

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We don't have any form of Sat Nav.

SWMBO sits in the passenger seat with an up to date map and directs my driving both in the UK and Europe.

Because we have no fixed agenda when abroad we just travel and pull in somewhere to eat/drink/sleep.

We know our start point, usuall a ferry port, and don't always know our destination and have no timeline arranged.

Try not to use motorways as we prefer the slower pace of National Roads, especially in France.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Having never had a sat nav I decided that if we are going abroad then it would seem to be the way to go, as I am unfamiliar with the roads, unlike the UK where I can navigate from memory and a good Truckers Atlas.

Bought the Garmin DEZL as recommended by the C&CC because it caters for motorhomes, caravans and trucks.

It is the most useless thing I have ever bought. Even with the MH dimensions programmed in it still takes you down totally unsuitable roads. One in Devon last month finished up as a track with grass growing in the middle and not wide enough for the MH. Fortunately I had realised what was happening and managed a very tight turn around in a farm gate. Our destination was at the other end of the lane, but on a "normal" size road.

The other thing that frustrates is setting a route via somewhere. It wants grid references or post codes, which I don't have. If I do manage to set a route via somewhere it won't follow on, but insists we are at "our destination" even if we are on a motorway. It then tries to get us to turn round until you cancel the trip.

I have followed the instructions, flattening the battery several times while I played with it, but it isn't operating as I would have like it to, or thought it should.

It is now in a drawer in my desk and that is where it will live from now on.

SWMBO and Truckers Atlas for me thanks.

P.S. It also insists that I live four doors away from my home, even though I have reset the home address several times.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back