Tolls or non tolls to south of France?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, May 20, 2014.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Leaving for France on Friday night and the best weather looks to be on the med.
    Last year we went down via a visit to friends in Limoges and ended up near Beziers,on the way back up we went over the Milau bridge,Clermont Ferrand ,Chatres,Rouen etc.
    This year we only have two weeks!What sort of time can you save by using the tolls and what are the approx costs class 2 ,Whats your favourite route to the med?
    Last year we stopped at Chatres on the way back up which was a fair drive then a shorter day to Calais.We aim to have one overnight stop what would you suggest?

Vlad

2. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

we go for the first time in july,,so sorry cant help you,,,,but hope you have a great time,,,:fatbuddha:have fun......

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Just pay the tolls you tight git!:BigGrin:

You have two weeks off, you don't want to waste 6 days travelling!!:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Ok moneybags,which way and roughly how much?
    Don't want any links to websites I'm too thick to work them out,rough costs and time will do .I did it last year with 1 stop so curious to see roughly what cost and how much time does it save?

Vlad

5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Calais to the Alps was €120 ish at class 2 if my memory serves me right.
    11 hours at 56mph.

Tried it non-toll and sacked it halfway down because of lack of progress!!!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

From memory we take the toll via Rouen, Toulouse, Perpignan.

Cost c£100 each way

We went via Bordeaux once and that was a lot more expensive.

Don't know how much time it saves but quite a few hours I should think.

8. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

drove down to the med near toulon a couple of years ago[ non toll] in my vw campervan thinking i would see rural france in all its glory and be able to pull up in little villages and enjoy the odd coissant or two with the locals . in reality almost every village i passed through appeared shut ! in some places the roads were just one roundabout after another and i have never passed so many retail parks and mcdonalds in my life ! needless to say i came back toll motorway [some sections are free ] all the way . it cost about 150 euro though if i remember correctly . regards garry.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ukbill

ukbill Funster

the way u went is the best imho but paying tolls all the way would be via paris i have done both routes and are much the same but i would now not go via bordeaux it seems now that both the main roads down to spain are now toll and bloody expensive dont forget i dont think u save much time from clermont to Perpignan taking the non toll road which runs parallel with the toll road what ever way u go have a great trip and chill :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

11. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Try
    fr.mappy.com/itineraire
    Which does allow you to put in class of vehicle, car and caravan, class 2 or classe 3 if you want to calculate worst case scenario
    You could also mix and match and go some of the way motorway which is non toll and come off for the toll sections. Look at the previously posted autoroutes link
    or if you can be bothered:

http://www.autoroute-eco.fr/

Calculates tolls by coming off auto route and rejoining straight away which also reduces costs

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Surely the whole point of a motorhome (as opposed to a caravan) is that travelling is not a waste

• Like Like x 2
  13. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I love France,but, this romantic notion of travelling vast distances through pretty little villages, endless roundabouts, chicanes , farmers on tractors and the issues of driving on the right, are fine, but in reality I am convinced are an expensive option.
    I travelled down to Port Vendre. Mostly via toll roads, I did at one point decide to go from Dijon to Lyon using non till roads, 120 miles TomTom estimated 4 hours. That was the longest 4 hours of my life, countless gear changes, stop start, yes nice scenery, but my fuel consumption went into orbit.
    I am not a big fan of Motorways, but if you are in a hurry to get south ASAP, then do the tolls, a steady 90km per hour, safe, regular and consistent.
    If you want to explore small villages then do so near your destination.

Lastly, I was travelling from Calais to Brezolles and there were no end of roadwork’s and diversions, it took forever, at the end of the journey, I was knackered.
    To be honest, you need to balance the costs, I suspect that there is little difference between tolls and non tolls, but other will disagree.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

In the light vehicle section there is a drop down menu option to select car plus caravan which is class 2:thumb:

15. trophychap

trophychap Funster

The A75 is free for its whole length apart from the Millau bridge. Some stunning scenery. Lovely motorway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Bang on Garry - most of us have this daft idea :Doh:

If tourist were in the London and planning to drive to Cornwall they might well think of taking the A4 rather than the motorway.

That way they could get to see real English life as they travel through Brentford, Hounslow, Heathrow...

and then take in the countryside as he drives through Slough, Maidenhead, Reading, Newbury...

• Like Like x 3
  17. WillH

WillH Funster

Last year we used the autoroutes to get south fast, with a couple of days at Lyon before moving on. On the way back used the A75 and meandered a lot. If you stay in Millau overnight you get a great view of the bridge and ovoid paying the toll.

RGds
    Bill

18. campa cola

campa cola Funster

That's funny :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Strange, we never waste any time travelling, that is the most enjoyable bit, in fact we don't have 'destinations' only different stops.

• Like Like x 6
  20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

All retired motorhomers say that!:BigGrin:

Us poor folks paying for your state pension only a get a short time off work and need to get where we want to be more quickly!!!:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 8