Tolls in Ireland

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Jun 20, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

We are going to Ireland at the end of the week and I see that the toll roads are quite difficult to miss enroute to the places we will be going, bridges and tunnels. It says to pay online or in payzone outlets, How do we do that as we will have no computor to pay with and the payzone outlets are just shops so we will not know how much to pay or where we went through the toll points. You have to pay before 8.00 the next day so are these points open if we go through at night??
    It seems a bit like Dartford Toll, in that those that know can do, those that don't know are stuck. If we went through 4 points and only knew about 3 then does the payzone have a record?
    Any body know the whys and wherefores of the best way to pay or check?

2. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

You can go into any garage and pay, the only tolls we had were in Dublin through the tunnel to the docks. That was last July 2015

3. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

Sorry no idea, I'm still juggling these devils in Spain!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

I have never paid on time as can't be bothered finding somewhere to pay, and mostly have no internet, just wait for bill from them, only a € or so extra. Then pay when have Internet.
    For me so much easier and less stress.

5. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

There are 11 toll points in Ireland in which 10 have barriers so you pay at toll booth. The only barrier free toll is on the M50 ring road around Dublin. You can pay in most garages/Spar type shops. https://www.eflow.ie/driving-in-ireland/

Hope you have a great time here in the Emerald Isle!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Hopefully I will keep off the motorways to see the countryside more going to zigzag around up and down til we get dizzy. Atlantic way is one place. I have joined the Motorhome Craic and they have an aire and parking place map which is going to be useful if I can print out before I go. I have no internet other than my phone on rather dear roaming charges. too dear to use as a personal hotspot for the tablet.. and I do not know what the signals is like but if the place is as empty as it looks, then none.

7. Spud

Spud Funster

If your arriving through Dublin port stay in the left lane (of the 2) coming out of the port (and watch out for the speed humps, there's plenty of them!) head for the city, avoiding the tunnel which leads you towards the M50 which is an auto toll. Your sat-nav should then get you out on to the roads to your destination.
    Stay on the 'N' roads and avoid the blue 'M' signs (some of the toll roads charge you to enter and leave!!).
    It's a pleasure to drive over there, the signs have improved and if you do take a wrong turn what the heck every road eventually has a right turn.
    Spud

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When you leave Dublin port don't do what we did and turn left onto the R131 which takes you across the East Link Toll Bridge over the River Liffey where you'll find there are toll booths - when we went that way it cost us about £2 for just a little bit of road as there was no way of turning round due to the barriers they had in place! :mad:

Dublin.PNG

9. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

You can also sign up to eflow.ie. Give your registration details and when you pass through an un-manned toll the ANPR cameras recognise you & you get a bill. Or you can sign up DDR. Otherwise you get a fine.... Don't ask. :oops:

10. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Dont you mean "trolls" in Ireland ?
    Phil

11. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

You don't get a fine!
    they pass your details to a UK collection agency that threatens you with with dire consequences and vastly increased amounts of money for every letter they send out :ROFLMAO: ( four upto eighteen months ago)
    A Irish ( Eire) motoring fine isn't enforceable in the UK ,
    Don't ask me how I Know this,:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. campa cola

campa cola Funster

The fine will be enforceable after 2017 when the UK has to be part of the EU wide driving legal system. Fines and points obtained in other EU (and associated) countries WILL be applied to UK licences. Did your local EU remainer mention that little nugget ?

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

bet you were gutted eh.. :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I have booked the ferry from Heysham at 02.40 Friday morning. Off we go an hope not to get robbed , mugged blown up or arrested. At least they speak something I might understand unlike going South from Dover. Taking my camera for a memory making episode. Hopefully will be able to download them when we get back. We have a single out and get a single back same price but leaves all the options open.

15. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

exactly why both my wife and me used our postal vote to hopefully remove this country from the farcical bureaucracy they call the EU