LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I know some are die hard non toll roads, but has the issues been looked at from a different perspective.
On a cost basis is there an advantage in using Toll roads?
It ok driving slowly through the countryside, admiring the several hundred roundabouts, narrow streets, traffic congestion etc etc. But us is as economical, remember the extra cost of overnight camping etc.
On a toll road, you can average say 56mph, where the engine is at its most efficient, not changing gears, less stress.
It’s ok, using non toll roads but can they cost more?

In the UK, I always us the M6 Toll road, I have been in too many traffic jams around Birmingham.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience Non toll roads in France are much better. Much more to see, and much, much cheaper, and choose the right time to travel, no real time or distance penalties. France has a lot of roads and outside of it's major metropolis's comparatively (to the UK) very little traffic. I've have used plenty of toll roads too, normally dashing down south to the sun, but never really enjoyed those journeys, they are just a chore.

I used the M6Toll once, by accident, I was in the RV and it cost me a weeks wages, I was fuming:roflmto:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We are never black and white on the use of toll roads but as a general rule we try to avoid them in France, as Jim says the alternatives are very good and the cost is expensive,

We found that much of the way down from Spain through Portugal then using tolls often saved most of the cost on fuel saving, not counting wear and tear, the alternatives were often continual gear changing and twisty.

Spain,we have found, often has good alternatives but we still prefer to pay the toll charge to get past Barcelona as quickly as possible.

The plus side for us is that motorways are far less stressful on my navigator and how do you put a price on that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
As has been said in France the roads are much better and quieter so I avoid toll roads. In Italy the roads are not always that good so I sometimes use toll roads. If I am near a big city I will use the toll roads to get around it. It is always best to look at the options and see which is the most logical, trouble is it means planning and like many on this site I am not into that.:ROFLMAO:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We have a two month winter window Jan/Feb before we return to another ten months of toil. We therefore take the dash to the sun option. We factor in the costs of tolls on our planning. As we take around 36 hours to get to the Costa Blanca the toll routes provide a very easy relaxing drive compared to UK motorways. Yes we do overnight on the motorway services and so far we have not been gassed :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This year is the first time I have ever used the toll road to get to Benidorm and I think it will be the last. The cost was E176-54 which for me is more than a tank of fuel. I cant say it was a quicker journey as it took the same time. The fuel consumption was also much the same. Am just glad I had no breakdown or tyre issues this year as it would be catastrophic to have to call out a toll road bandit as no matter which breakdown insurance you have, they are not allowed on toll roads.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
we tend to the use them quite a bit...but then were on a 2 week timeframe for our trips:Sad:

calais to avignon (ish) in a day....yup toll road for me:thumb: otherwise id loose 2-3days to getting to the sun and keeping her ladyship happy

however if we had more time.....then possibly not::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We mix and match, often a better way of getting around towns and cities is the toll road but sometimes tempting to stay on them as they are a much quicker alternative in a small camper or a car. Set the cruise to 70ish sit back and await your arrival. No hassle. Touring or being limited to 50mph is of course a different situation, less to gain using tolls.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I would use the toll roads if they were cheaper. Perhaps we are not as used to paying tolls like the French?
The operators must have weighed up dropping the price and getting more custom though.

I've said more than once to SHMBO, look at that empty toll-road as we cruise along parallell to it for free.
Often the old N route is deserted.

I begin to tremble when I see the sign.

Attachments

• Peage.jpg
    Peage.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Usually we programme into tom-tom route from A to B and go whatever it comes up with..

Most of the time it takes us on toll roads.. ::bigsmile:

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We do a bit of both. I program the route in to the sat nav and then select avoidances. I then accept or decline each alternative depending on the difference in miles and time. Sometimes the alternative to the toll road can actually be shorter and quicker and we have had others where to avoid the toll added nearly an hour and several miles. When we go next year we probably won't use tolls at all as we will be travelling for months so no time limit as there is with a 2 week holiday where you have to try to cram everything in to a short space of time. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone done the maths?

I know I was looking at taking a boat from the Uk to Spain, the cost of driving down is cheaper, but is it?
You still have to find a place to stay over on the way down, the wear and tare on the van and driver. Getting there are being knackered, boat, you turn up fresh..

I now that driving through small French villages is nice enough, but, they can be a nightmare, then the roundabouts, the changing of gears, the fuel consumption must go up. The extra gas you may have to use, the cost of camping (unless in an aire), the increase risk of being gassed. :winky:

My suspicion is that there is nothing in it. I know that when going up North, I always use the M6 Toll, the last time I went on the M6 I was stop start for over an hour and the BP went gaga. I save 15 miles on my travel by avoiding Birmingham by using the M6 Toll, less of a risk also from a Mujahidin attack near Spark Hill.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tolls

We are as tight as drums when it comes to tolls but generally speaking, the only extra cost to us is time, rather than money.

We get the same 26.2 mpg overall with the van whether on the motorway, dawdling along or what ever. I have not reset the computer in the last 4000 miles.

There are occasional stretches of roads though where I will pay - for example 1.10 euro to by pass Saverne on the A4 in France and one euro something to bypass Beziers in the south of France.

Russell

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
the first time i travelled down to the med thru france i was adamant that i wasnt going to use motorways as i wanted to see the REAL france ! what i actually saw was retail parks , mcdonalds and bloody roundabouts !! when ever i came upon a actual village it was basically closed with no one to be seen ! so since then its a combination of toll and non toll . garry

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We are never black and white on the use of toll roads but as a general rule we try to avoid them in France, as Jim says the alternatives are very good and the cost is expensive,

We found that much of the way down from Spain through Portugal then using tolls often saved most of the cost on fuel saving, not counting wear and tear, the alternatives were often continual gear changing and twisty.

Spain,we have found, often has good alternatives but we still prefer to pay the toll charge to get past Barcelona as quickly as possible.

The plus side for us is that motorways are far less stressful on my navigator and how do you put a price on that?

Change the navigator?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Its the roundabouts that can be a pain, it seems to be a case of why use one when half a dozen will do. We use a mixture of toll and non toll like we used to in the car, when retirement arrives time taken travelling will become less important I should think, or hope.:Smile:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We use the a combination of Tolls and N roads in France it all depends on where you are travelling from and to. Sometimes river crossings via a non toll roads can add miles to your journey. This year we decided to cross the Gironde by ferry from Royan whilst travelling from The Ile de Oleron down to Montalivet saved over four hours travel and a hundred or so miles, but the cost was about £45.00.

Coupled with the fact we had never crossed by ferry and had said we would try it once, I probably would do the drive another time, if time was not of the essence.

By the way if you are a member of the Caravan Club the M6 toll road offers substantial reductions on production of your membership card at the manned toll plaza's I.E. Normal cost with the motorhome £11. reduced to £4 so quite a saving to be had there.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think there is a key point that has not been factored in here, yes driving through small villages and round numerous roundabouts takes the edge off the benefit. But there are hundreds of miles of free motorways in France

We did Calais - Biarritz this time last year without paying a toll, but probably did about 75% on motorways and dual carriageways

On this basis the potential cost saving between motorways and non toll roads is going to be much less

IMO

David

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
When we had caravans we mostly used toll roads for ease but now we mostly use the N roads. I much prefer it as we have come across some lovely towns & villages that we would have missed on the toll roads ::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I know some are die hard non toll roads, but has the issues been looked at from a different perspective.
On a cost basis is there an advantage in using Toll roads?
It ok driving slowly through the countryside, admiring the several hundred roundabouts, narrow streets, traffic congestion etc etc. But us is as economical, remember the extra cost of overnight camping etc.
On a toll road, you can average say 56mph, where the engine is at its most efficient, not changing gears, less stress.
It’s ok, using non toll roads but can they cost more?

In the UK, I always us the M6 Toll road, I have been in too many traffic jams around Birmingham.

I have found that I use /used more fuel on all my motorhomes when on the motorways/ toll roads....and less on none motorway to cover the same distance A to B....many of the motorways do seem to go around covering a larger distance...but the litre to 100 km gauge on the dash reads 12...to 12.5 when running on motorways...and only 11.2 to 11.4 on local running...which does seem !!! :Doh: with all the gear work you have to do.....Plus I don't seem to get into any traffic jams ....as there does not seem to be many traffic jams in France unless you go into Large city centre with your van at busy times
But sometimes we do use the tolls like a 4 days ago...toll over Ponte de Normandy 6.20€...and from the Ponte/N.towards Abbeville...11.60€...it just depends on the route....also there seems to more Tolls coming on board in France now.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Often in France we set the SatNav to 'shortest distance' and trust it to get us there.

Great fun and it seems as though you are totally lost sometimes, but we always find some lovely places to see ::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Often in France we set the SatNav to 'shortest distance' and trust it to get us there.

Great fun and it seems as though you are totally lost sometimes, but we always find some lovely places to see ::bigsmile:
We did that in the French Alps once on the way back from Italy, Tom Toms shortest route from A to B it got the adrenalin pumping but very nice experience.:Smile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We prefer toll roads because, as has been mentioned, we are on a time frame too. We use a tag which also helps us get through the tolls economically as we can drive through without stopping.
Agreed.. Not cheap.. But suit us at present.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
This year is the first time I have ever used the toll road to get to Benidorm and I think it will be the last. The cost was E176-54 which for me is more than a tank of fuel. I cant say it was a quicker journey as it took the same time. The fuel consumption was also much the same. Am just glad I had no breakdown or tyre issues this year as it would be catastrophic to have to call out a toll road bandit as no matter which breakdown insurance you have, they are not allowed on toll roads.

We decided to take the Route National to Arras as we weren’t really in a hurry, but soon realised why we stay off these roads. I think it fine to travel like this if one is on a 2 week break and the idea is to experience French country life – but if one is actually heading somewhere – like Italy or Spain – then the best route is via motorways. The tolls are cancelled out by the excess fuel usage on N roads. It is almost impossible to go more than 3 or 4kms without hitting a one horse town. So, it's change gear, brake, negotiate roundabouts, stop at traffic lights and follow tractors at 10kph. The wear and tear is unacceptable, as is the stress and delay. Its also easier in the divorce stakes.......So, it's Autoroute/strada/bahn/pista…….here we come. :Cool:

In addition, I don't see how its equally cheap & fast on non-toll roads.:whatthe:
I've done both in several countries & my fuel consumption dropped to 19mpg from 27mpg & it took 50% longer on a 2 hour transit!
And quite frankly, when you've see one French field, you've seen 'em all!:Blush:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tolls

We are not overly experienced in travelling through France, and we see France almost as an obstacle in the way of getting to Italy.

That said, I have the following toll free routes that I have used. I will call the starting point Calais, even though it ay have been the tunnel or Dunkerque.

Calais - Spanish border for Costa Brava (A75)

Calais - Montpellier (A75) for Avignon, Nice etc

Calais - Strasbourg - via Luxembourg - gateway to Switzerland etc

Calais to Besancon - for Lake Geneva and the Swiss border/ski areas

Calais - Paris

My toll free routes are Link Broken

Generally speaking, the routes are slower but I did manage Besancon to Dunkerque in one hit, but it was a long day. Most of that was via the A31 motorway and then into Luxembourg

I am fortunate that I get one week off in five due to the length of my "normal" working day and also working alternate Saturdays. So, week one is a week off formed of days of, week 2,3 & 4 are annual leave and then week 5 is days off again, so my trips are not rushed now.

If I was on a tight schedule, I would still avoid the tolls though as the cost for a tag axle is crippling, assumed to be class 4 (yes I know you might get through as a 2)

Russell

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We use a mixture of toll or non toll, depending where we are going.

West coast or Central France mostly non toll, however one year we were heading to south east med and I decided to do non toll through Belgium.

Traveled five hours and started looking for campsite for night.

Got to site where it said it was 2 hrs from Calais by motorway!!!

OH was NOT amused so of to Provence next year and we WILL be using toll roads, if just for a peaceful life!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We decided to take the Route National to Arras as we weren’t really in a hurry, but soon realised why we stay off these roads. I think it fine to travel like this if one is on a 2 week break and the idea is to experience French country life – but if one is actually heading somewhere – like Italy or Spain – then the best route is via motorways. The tolls are cancelled out by the excess fuel usage on N roads. It is almost impossible to go more than 3 or 4kms without hitting a one horse town. So, it's change gear, brake, negotiate roundabouts, stop at traffic lights and follow tractors at 10kph. The wear and tear is unacceptable, as is the stress and delay. Its also easier in the divorce stakes.......So, it's Autoroute/strada/bahn/pista…….here we come. :Cool:

In addition, I don't see how its equally cheap & fast on non-toll roads.:whatthe:
I've done both in several countries & my fuel consumption dropped to 19mpg from 27mpg & it took 50% longer on a 2 hour transit!
And quite frankly, when you've see one French field, you've seen 'em all!:Blush:

To a point I understand what you are saying, BUT, I have done Manchester to Benidorm on none toll roads with an RV and trailer in 48 hours. I have also done it in 4 weeks following the same route and suprisingly the fuel consumption was exactly the same ::bigsmile:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Toll/non toll roads

One of the main reasons for using non toll roads in France is lunch.

A choice between Autoroute cafeteria food or a roadside relais for the set 3 course lunch at 10 - 13euros. No contest !

You could always use autoroutes until lunch time, set the SatNav to avoid Motorways and look for a Relais with lots of lorries in the car park. LGV drivers know all the best stopovers.

Enjoy the journey either way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back