Toll Free Route across France to Spain (1 Viewer)

mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Hi - apologies as I am sure this has been discussed many times - but just wanted to get some up to date info

Any suggestions for the best toll free route across France - with the following criteria:

1. Driving a Hi Top - so no low tunnels or bridges (Lost my skylight and aerial at Rouen three years ago!!!)

2. Driving solo - so will aim for about 400 miles a day

3. Have a dog - so stop every 90 minutes for his (and my) wee's

4. Start from Calais

5. Towing a large Motorbike on a trailer - so ideally not too many wiggly roads

6. Going 2nd Feb -

Every routefinder I check wants to take me via Rouen - is this the case?
Ta

Mick

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We plan to do something similar next week, without the bike but with a dog. We won't avoid all the tolls but we're careful about which ones we pay. I copied this from a website recently:

About-France.com recommended toll-saving route: Calais> Abbeville > Rouen > Chartres > Tours> Poitiers > Angoulême > Bordeaux.
The tolls that are worth paying:
Calais to Abbeville on A16 : 7.50 Euros
South exit from Rouen on A 13 > A154 : 2 Euros
Motorway round Tours: 1.80 Euros ( 2 x 0.90 Euros)
88 km of the A63 - the last 88km of the route, avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 7 Euros
Total recommended tolls (2011): 18.30 Euros for a car,or about 27.50 €uros for a normal motorhome, RV or camping car.
Time saved by paying tolls: about 2 hours.

The same site suggested this route to avoid the problems in Rouen:
ROUEN BRIDGE CLOSURE
- alternative routes
DO NOT follow A28 all the way to Rouen. At Junction 11, follow A29 direction Le Havre / Caen "péage". The toll for a car is less than Euros, since you will leave A29 at the next exit, to follow A151 Rouen / Dieppe. Now take the toll-free A151 then A150 then N1338 to Rouen.
After crossing the Seine, follow signs for A13. You join the Rouen south expressway: just follow it. Keep following signs for A13. Eventually you will have a choice between A13 Paris and A13 Caen. Follow A13 Paris if you are heading south, A13 Caen if you are heading for Brittany or Alençon.
You will join the A13 in the direction of Paris about a kilometer further north than you would otherwise have joined it. You'll have another 2 €uro toll to pay After than, you're back on the route.

I've not tried these yet but they seem fairly sensible.

Have a good trip
Bryn :Cool:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
No you can avoid Rouen by going via Forges Les Eaux cracking Aire with full bore leckie 6.50 a night. All hardstanding can take about 30 vans and roads are all good. :thumb: Then head for Lamotte Bouvron (free aire) and you are on the way South. :Smile: If you go via Toulouse it is toll free all the way to the Med. :thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We plan to do something similar next week, without the bike but with a dog. We won't avoid all the tolls but we're careful about which ones we pay. I copied this from a website recently:

About-France.com recommended toll-saving route: Calais> Abbeville > Rouen > Chartres > Tours> Poitiers > Angoulême > Bordeaux.
The tolls that are worth paying:
Calais to Abbeville on A16 : 7.50 Euros
South exit from Rouen on A 13 > A154 : 2 Euros
Motorway round Tours: 1.80 Euros ( 2 x 0.90 Euros)
88 km of the A63 - the last 88km of the route, avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 7 Euros
Total recommended tolls (2011): 18.30 Euros for a car,or about 27.50 €uros for a normal motorhome, RV or camping car.
Time saved by paying tolls: about 2 hours.

The same site suggested this route to avoid the problems in Rouen:
ROUEN BRIDGE CLOSURE
- alternative routes
DO NOT follow A28 all the way to Rouen. At Junction 11, follow A29 direction Le Havre / Caen "péage". The toll for a car is less than Euros, since you will leave A29 at the next exit, to follow A151 Rouen / Dieppe. Now take the toll-free A151 then A150 then N1338 to Rouen.
After crossing the Seine, follow signs for A13. You join the Rouen south expressway: just follow it. Keep following signs for A13. Eventually you will have a choice between A13 Paris and A13 Caen. Follow A13 Paris if you are heading south, A13 Caen if you are heading for Brittany or Alençon.
You will join the A13 in the direction of Paris about a kilometer further north than you would otherwise have joined it. You'll have another 2 €uro toll to pay After than, you're back on the route.

I've not tried these yet but they seem fairly sensible.

Have a good trip
Bryn :Cool:

the last 88km of the route, avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 7 Euros

We went through said towns last week and what a ball ache - if Id only known the toll was only €7. Will defo not be coming back the same way - unless we use the toll road :thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
the last 88km of the route, avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 7 Euros

We went through said towns last week and what a ball ache - if Id only known the toll was only €7. Will defo not be coming back the same way - unless we use the toll road :thumb:

We came down A63 on 5th Jan. and cost me €19. 20. where did I go wrong ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
No you can avoid Rouen by going via Forges Les Eaux cracking Aire with full bore leckie 6.50 a night. All hardstanding can take about 30 vans and roads are all good. :thumb: Then head for Lamotte Bouvron (free aire) and you are on the way South. :Smile: If you go via Toulouse it is toll free all the way to the Med. :thumb:

The aire at Forges Les Eaux is closed/has the electricity and water turned off from October(ish) to March..there is a small aire down the road at Buchy opposite the school...Jetons/Tokens available from the town hall..

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
tolls

E 22.40 from St Jean de Luz to J 18 on N10 south off Bordeaux. Same going south

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Spain

This is "my" toll free route, albeit with occasional tolls to by pass towns etc.

In respect of Rouen, if you follow the signs for Dreux and Evreux, as you come off the free motorway, there are no bridges to avoid - follow the signs, not the satnav.

Its always worth paying 1.10 euro to by pass Boulogne - just use the toll paid motorway for one junction.

Russell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back