Toll Free Route across France to Spain

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mickcope, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mickcope

mickcope Read Only Funster

Hi - apologies as I am sure this has been discussed many times - but just wanted to get some up to date info

Any suggestions for the best toll free route across France - with the following criteria:

1. Driving a Hi Top - so no low tunnels or bridges (Lost my skylight and aerial at Rouen three years ago!!!)

2. Driving solo - so will aim for about 400 miles a day

3. Have a dog - so stop every 90 minutes for his (and my) wee's

4. Start from Calais

5. Towing a large Motorbike on a trailer - so ideally not too many wiggly roads

6. Going 2nd Feb -

Every routefinder I check wants to take me via Rouen - is this the case?
    Ta

Mick

2. brynric

brynric Funster

We plan to do something similar next week, without the bike but with a dog. We won't avoid all the tolls but we're careful about which ones we pay. I copied this from a website recently:

About-France.com recommended toll-saving route: Calais> Abbeville > Rouen > Chartres > Tours> Poitiers > Angoulême > Bordeaux.
    The tolls that are worth paying:
    Calais to Abbeville on A16 : 7.50 Euros
    South exit from Rouen on A 13 > A154 : 2 Euros
    Motorway round Tours: 1.80 Euros ( 2 x 0.90 Euros)
    88 km of the A63 - the last 88km of the route, avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 7 Euros
    Total recommended tolls (2011): 18.30 Euros for a car,or about 27.50 €uros for a normal motorhome, RV or camping car.
    Time saved by paying tolls: about 2 hours.

The same site suggested this route to avoid the problems in Rouen:
    ROUEN BRIDGE CLOSURE
    - alternative routes
    DO NOT follow A28 all the way to Rouen. At Junction 11, follow A29 direction Le Havre / Caen "péage". The toll for a car is less than Euros, since you will leave A29 at the next exit, to follow A151 Rouen / Dieppe. Now take the toll-free A151 then A150 then N1338 to Rouen.
    After crossing the Seine, follow signs for A13. You join the Rouen south expressway: just follow it. Keep following signs for A13. Eventually you will have a choice between A13 Paris and A13 Caen. Follow A13 Paris if you are heading south, A13 Caen if you are heading for Brittany or Alençon.
    You will join the A13 in the direction of Paris about a kilometer further north than you would otherwise have joined it. You'll have another 2 €uro toll to pay After than, you're back on the route.

I've not tried these yet but they seem fairly sensible.

Have a good trip
    Bryn :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

4. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

No you can avoid Rouen by going via Forges Les Eaux cracking Aire with full bore leckie 6.50 a night. All hardstanding can take about 30 vans and roads are all good. :thumb: Then head for Lamotte Bouvron (free aire) and you are on the way South. :Smile: If you go via Toulouse it is toll free all the way to the Med. :thumb:

5. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

the last 88km of the route, avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 7 Euros

We went through said towns last week and what a ball ache - if Id only known the toll was only €7. Will defo not be coming back the same way - unless we use the toll road :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

We came down A63 on 5th Jan. and cost me €19. 20. where did I go wrong ?

7. Millibobs

Millibobs Funster

8. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

The aire at Forges Les Eaux is closed/has the electricity and water turned off from October(ish) to March..there is a small aire down the road at Buchy opposite the school...Jetons/Tokens available from the town hall..

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

tolls

E 22.40 from St Jean de Luz to J 18 on N10 south off Bordeaux. Same going south

10. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Spain

This is "my" toll free route, albeit with occasional tolls to by pass towns etc.

In respect of Rouen, if you follow the signs for Dreux and Evreux, as you come off the free motorway, there are no bridges to avoid - follow the signs, not the satnav.

Its always worth paying 1.10 euro to by pass Boulogne - just use the toll paid motorway for one junction.

Russell

11. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Your most welcome Senoir and whats more your dead right. I've been using it for the last few years and it's regularly updated too.