Toll advice (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi I have spent the whole day on the internet looking at where we should go on our 2 week trip in June, the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry is booked and we have sketched in a plan to drive straight over to somewhere near Toulouse stay 1 night then carry on to Gorges Du Tarn for 3 nights then drop down to the Camargue for 2 nights then drop again down to the coast near Perpignan for another 4 nights and back across with another 2 nights before we catch the ferry back.

I thought i had better look at the Toll charges but struggling for the info, I think we are class 4 as a 9.2 metre Tag Axle could anyone help with any ideas on the costs from Bilbao to France and then across? Or costs for similar sized vehicle and journey

I have looked at the D817 road thats seems to run parallel to the A64 will this add hours onto the journey?

Any help or tips would be really appreciated.:Doh::::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Or plot your route(s) on Viamichelin - don't think it gives Class 4 but if you looked at something in a lower Class, you'll know it will be 'more than that' LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for replies folks

Looks like about 300 euros :cry:

The michelin planner just seems to want to take hours up hill and down dale ......are Spanish tolls any cheaper? Do they still have similar vehicle classes?

I suppose we will have to pay / waste our holiday time going around lots of roundabouts and through towns or ....... change our plans and stay nearer to Bilbao.:Doh:

Hubby has just commented that I have been on internet for 10 hours now .....only broken off to raid the freezer and cupboards for out of date scraps .......suppose I have saved a bit of money there! :Sad:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we are going over to france in july , we are planning on going on as many toll free roads as possible,,and being our first time, we wont mind going through the little villages, as i think thats how you find the hidden gems.....:thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
At 300€ for tolls it does sound like an expensive tour de south France! As SB8263 says, there are many lovely places you can find by just meandering along country roads - generally in MUCH better condition than the equivalent UK roads - and stopping wherever the fancy takes you. You'll save much of the money you'd spend on tolls, too.:thumb:

Obviously it depends on what you decide you must fit into your holiday, so if the Carmargue and Perpignan are must-sees, then so be it. Use the N and D roads unless you are tight for time, and enjoy your holiday.

We've no idea where you have already been in France, but one alternative from Spain north could be the run from Bayonne (where a lot of our French neighbours go on holiday) through Mont de Marsan, and on to Bergerac and Perigueux. Then if you've not been to Brantome you should see that lovely town; from there come and see us at Parc Verger, and on to Oradour sur Glane. If after that you are pushed for time, the A20 is a free autoroute north, and by going via Chartres you can avoid Paris. Overall toll costs are minimal, mileage and thus fuel will be less.

Wherever you go have a great holiday.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say dont bother with france . go along that north coast of spain . its really nice .
i prefer it to france and the people are nicer .
cheaper as well .
even better when you get past santander .

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
we are going over to france in july , we are planning on going on as many toll free roads as possible,,and being our first time, we wont mind going through the little villages, as i think thats how you find the hidden gems.....:thumb:

That was our intention on our first trip to France, ended up doing a many point turn in a blokes back yard and several farm tracks in the Somme area ::bigsmile: As we were heading south, we bit the bullet and paid a few tolls as we had limited time then.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I booked and paid a return ticket Portsmouth Bilbao ages ago, so heading north would mean a change of booking ....... Not sure I would get a refund? Or a credit .... That would be fine......

We have visited San Sebastian (fantastic!) St Jean De Luz, Pau, Lourdes, Pamplona before but not in a. MH. I was looking to the south of France because we have never been there ....... and Gorges Du Tarn because the Paddling looks amazing ....thought we might actually get the Awning rolled out ...we haven't used it yet, but probably there will be high winds :Eeek: thought they might not let us use the Cobb on sites either :cry:

Maybe we just need a bigger time scale for that trip.

I am tempted by the north coast of Spain we haven't been past Santander, looked at Galicia but thought the sea would be colder and rougher ..... haven't seen much in the way of places to Paddle. Any recommendations for novices ? We have our inflatable Kayak and electric bikes and would like to use them wherever we go.

Thanks for all replies and suggestions. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have given my husband nightmares ....... We drove through Catterick Garrison on friday night on a very scenic route to Northumberland with all my talk about routes, plans, tolls, he has dreamt that he was refuelling the car but when he turned around it was a Harrier jump jet and he had put the wrong fuel in it ........ He was given some tokens for filling it up !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Then a woman and her husband came in to refuel their car and caravan and she started stripping off .... My husband pointed this out to her husband and he said its alright she always does this ....... I think he was thinking about wearing Speedos in the french pools!

I guess he has his own worries! ::bigsmile:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Tolls

Hi I have spent the whole day on the internet looking at where we should go on our 2 week trip in June, the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry is booked and we have sketched in a plan to drive straight over to somewhere near Toulouse stay 1 night then carry on to Gorges Du Tarn for 3 nights then drop down to the Camargue for 2 nights then drop again down to the coast near Perpignan for another 4 nights and back across with another 2 nights before we catch the ferry back.

I thought i had better look at the Toll charges but struggling for the info, I think we are class 4 as a 9.2 metre Tag Axle could anyone help with any ideas on the costs from Bilbao to France and then across? Or costs for similar sized vehicle and journey

I have looked at the D817 road thats seems to run parallel to the A64 will this add hours onto the journey?

Any help or tips would be really appreciated.:Doh::::bigsmile:
If your route takes you on the free motorway form Beziers to Clermont please note that you will be charged as a full sized artic lorry at the bridge at Millau (we paid 30 euro 2 years back). You can go through the town and there is a Aire in the town but its a bit tight for a tag axle. :Eeek:

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If your route takes you on the free motorway form Beziers to Clermont please note that you will be charged as a full sized artic lorry at the bridge at Millau (we paid 30 euro 2 years back). You can go through the town and there is a Aire in the town but its a bit tight for a tag axle. :Eeek:

Ooh! Thanks for that tip I think we may be penniless by the time we get home! I will try to avoid that. :thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You asked if the tolls are cheaper in Spain than in France. We certainly think so - and the toll roads are a delight to drive - they're empty. Was told the locals can't afford to travel on them.

The other thing that has surprised us is that we appear to be only charged the same as a car? Yes, we have a more compact van at 6m long and 2.76m high (plated 3,500kg), but we always have to pay more (Class 2) on French toll roads.

We're in southern Spain at the moment, and using toll motorways whenever possible.

Oh and we came over on the Pont Aven from Plymouth to Santander - excellent crossing, even though there was a Force 8 gale blowing in the Bay of Biscay.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip. :thumb:

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi . we travel differently .
no toll roads
no motorways
no dual carriageways if there is a small road beside the dual.
if you can drive the servico roads , visit every village ,industrial estate etc .
you find taps etc on the small roads . after all whats the rush .
also lots of free parking on small roads .

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Hi. You are going to be doing a lot of driving if you insist on keeping to your planned schedule and remember it will be very hot. I'm in Spain at present near San Sebastian and it's been in the upper 20's today. I came here from the Algarve, where temperatures were even higher 2 weeks ago, and I made a point of visiting new areas of inland Spain. There are some fantastic places around here and some of the mountain rivers are ideal for kayaking. The north coast, beyond Santander has some lovely coastal towns and villages and it's a free motorway for the most part. Santilliana del mar is worth a visit as it's on the tourist route and has a large car park for the coaches. San Vincente de Barquera has a lovely beach and a fishing port and is packed with restaurants. Inland the Picos mountains offer spectacular scenery including gorges and mountain lakes. I found so many interesting places on my route back this year especially the road between Soria and Logrono, although I did take some side roads to appreciate the magnificence of some of the scenery which in my view was nearly as spectacular as the Tarn Gorges. I use Michelin maps and look for areas edged in green, indicating a scenic route.
Check the mileage between places you've planned to visit. I think you may have overestimated how much you can see in two weeks AND have a relaxing holiday.

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
hi . we travel differently .
no toll roads
no motorways
no dual carriageways if there is a small road beside the dual.
if you can drive the servico roads , visit every village ,industrial estate etc .
you find taps etc on the small roads . after all whats the rush .
also lots of free parking on small roads .
Definitely agree with you. I've just come back up from Portugal to Hondarribia mainlly on yellow roads and even some white (on Michelin maps). Don't have Sat nav as like you if I see somewhere interesting I go take a look. Discovered some lovely towns and villages on the way and some awe-inspiring scenery. Mountain passes at 6,000ft, and some very interesting rock formations and cliffs just south of Logrono.
Hate having lorries sitting on my tail, prefer small roads with no traffic and I can tootle at 40 and stop and take photos.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hi. You are going to be doing a lot of driving if you insist on keeping to your planned schedule and remember it will be very hot. I'm in Spain at present near San Sebastian and it's been in the upper 20's today. I came here from the Algarve, where temperatures were even higher 2 weeks ago, and I made a point of visiting new areas of inland Spain. There are some fantastic places around here and some of the mountain rivers are ideal for kayaking. The north coast, beyond Santander has some lovely coastal towns and villages and it's a free motorway for the most part. Santilliana del mar is worth a visit as it's on the tourist route and has a large car park for the coaches. San Vincente de Barquera has a lovely beach and a fishing port and is packed with restaurants. Inland the Picos mountains offer spectacular scenery including gorges and mountain lakes. I found so many interesting places on my route back this year especially the road between Soria and Logrono, although I did take some side roads to appreciate the magnificence of some of the scenery which in my view was nearly as spectacular as the Tarn Gorges. I use Michelin maps and look for areas edged in green, indicating a scenic route.
Check the mileage between places you've planned to visit. I think you may have overestimated how much you can see in two weeks AND have a relaxing holiday.

you have found some of the great places there are alot more if you travel the minor roads . that coast could be the best in the world . i love it . yet live in cornwall. sanvicente de la barquera is fab ., surf and calm in that big harbour and river mouths . pecos in the distance its fantastic .
we use tagle beach near suances as well. plus san justa next door its fantastic .
playa meron near arguero as dynasuor prints in the rocks . and parking .

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think that you are completely right and we will go for a new route in Spain Luckily I have only put one deposit of €25 euros down on a site at Gorges Du Tarn so I will forgo that.

Many thanks for your replies I am much better informed now! ::bigsmile:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
France and Spain are so vast compared with the UK and you might find that planned routes involve a lot of driving. I found it more enjoyable to plan a route without a particular final destination for the day. Just drive until you feel like stopping, looking for an aire or camp site, enjoy the journey. If I have to use toll roads it's likely just for the dash back to the ferry at the end of the trip.
Enjoy your trip:thumb:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It seems like a lot of driving and not much time to see things - I would be tempted to make the Millau viaduct as the furthest east point and turn around and head back to the Pyrenees and explore N East Spain. We don't know the S W French coast of the med very well but from what we have seen, it isn't worth spending time there when there are nicer beaches to see in Spain and on the Atlantic coast if France.

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
It seems like a lot of driving and not much time to see things - I would be tempted to make the Millau viaduct as the furthest east point and turn around and head back to the Pyrenees and explore N East Spain. We don't know the S W French coast of the med very well but from what we have seen, it isn't worth spending time there when there are nicer beaches to see in Spain and on the Atlantic coast if France.
Following on from my earlier suggestions re northern Spain, I've also been through some lovely villages in the French Pyrenees around St Jean Pied de Port and Oleron St Marie. French side definitely more interesting.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Following on from my earlier suggestions re northern Spain, I've also been through some lovely villages in the French Pyrenees around St Jean Pied de Port and Oleron St Marie. French side definitely more interesting.

But far more expensive for a meal and drink out. Shame. BUSBY::bigsmile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I agree

i say dont bother with france . go along that north coast of spain . its really nice .
i prefer it to france and the people are nicer .
cheaper as well .
even better when you get past santander .

Good advice this, the northern area of Spain is lovely and really cheap. The people so helpful and friendly.

We would definitely go back. :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back