Toilet ....

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by fletch, May 18, 2010.

1. fletch

fletch Read Only Funster

..... just wondering what we should be putting down the loo & why (not even used it yet), the guy that we bought our m/h from suggested that we just buy the cheapest pine supermarket toilet cleaner for 20 odd pence a throw & not worry about the expensive stuff at camping shops ..... is this good advice & is it just put down the pan after use? :thumb:

2. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

it depends if you have a keen sense of smell, not saying i use the dearest but certainly always use the real stuff just look for the best price, it will stink with cheap dissenfectant!

3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We use Elsan Organic, costs just under a fiver for a large bottle which lasts us several trips. We put approx a third of the cap off your cassette and find it ample. I have read of people using all sorts of fluids and for all I know they work. I use the real thing as I would be concerned about how the other fluids affect the seals. Hope this helps. :Smile:

4. Floyd's Girl

Floyd's Girl Read Only Funster

I've only ever used Aquakem Blue or Green - not only do they stop the smells, but they also disintigrate most things that eventually end up in the loo :Blush: - not sure if plain old disinfectant would do that?

As for using the really cheap stuff - as they say - you get what you pay for!

5. Rainbowchaser

Rainbowchaser Read Only Funster

Ariel Excel tabs...
    Those green squishy bio capsules.
    I put one in the tank and one in the flush tank.
    Nice smell, does the job, doesn't stain plastic like chemicals...

:Smile:

6. VMax666

VMax666 Read Only Funster

Biological washing liquid. Pleasanter smell than Aquakem etc and a lot cheaper. Being biological, breaks down waste quickly. VMax

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You spent how much on your motorhome:cry:look after it please.

If your passing we have plenty of chemicals.

Peter

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We use "proper stuff" and have to empty it at least every other day , with there being 5 of us !
    Cant understand why people think its so expensive. You only need a tiny bit and a bottle lasts us ages.
    Why fork out all that money for a motorhome and have a stinky smell in it when you use it?
    If the bloke you bought it off only used cheapest pine disinfectant in it when he had it, id make sure you give it a good sterilize. Hot water , Milton .
    Dont use bleach cos of the seals . Id try and submerge the whole thing , if it was me. Id also do the water tank with Milton too , just to be sure . I put a drop of my surf washing liquid down the plug holes , and shower trap each time we go away in the Mh.
    That way when the water goes down the plug it stays smelling nice till you empty it.

But then i insisted in swapping our loo cassette from our caravan , for the "new to us" MH. As it was the same model.
    Cos i knew only our poo had been in it :Rofl1:

PS biological stuff only works properly with hot water. I think you can get stuff that works as low as 30 deg but i doubt your loo would get that warm ! Smells nice. But doubt it would do much for the germs.
    It can strip the skin off bones with hot water. I remember sieng it on CSI so its got to be true !

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Aguakem Blue or any formaldehyde based toilet chemical is banned in Germany and should NOT be used in cesspits .. many CLs have such tanks for dumping ..

If you have an on board black tank you do not need chemicals .. in fact they prevent the natural breakdown of solids ..

Be kind to your planet, forget chemicals and fit a SOG ..:Smile:

10. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

"Aguakem Blue or any formaldehyde based toilet"

Don't think they use it any more Jim.

We found the smell of Aquakem a bit overpowering that's why we changed to Elsan Organic. Plus it's cheaper. :Smile:

11. ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo Read Only Funster

I'm with Vmax666 except we use fabric conditioner.
    No smells and breaks down all matter well.
    I reckon the bio route is better than the expensive special chemicals. Certainly does no marm to the equipment or the environment.
    Patrick

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If that's the case Ken, I stand corrected, :Blush:

shows you how long it is since I had a porta potty .. :Laughing:

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

having worked in the sewage industry as a driver,.i would advise dont use anything .maybe a spoon full of viegar. let it build up bacteria inside the cassette.never wash the inside .never use bleach etc. even leave some in when camper not in use. you need to let good bacteria do its job .alaso never empty it fully.
    you should pay a visit to your local sewage farm ,its quite interesting .see nature at work.
    as for the chemicals they cause alot of problems in the works. cornwall as lots of campsites with their own works .many stop working in the summer as too much chemicals get in and kill the bacteria. thats when i have to move in and remove the contents ,then replace some good non chemical brown stuff into their works. pays enough for a winter trip so must be good. cheers alan.

14. 656

656 Read Only Funster

As Jim said get a SOG No chemicals at all :thumb::thumb:

15. wp1234

wp1234

Comfort Bio fabric conditioner works for us easy to get and as for fragrance - take your pick !

16. johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad Read Only Funster

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Oxy-clean washing additive.

smells ok and helps break down the lumpy bits due to releasing oxygen into the 'liquids'.

18. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

I note the SOG is supplied with fitting instructions, but it looks very fiddly. Will dealers fit these and will it effect any warranties?

19. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I also use a SOG which was fitted to my Hymer when I bought it second hand in Germany.

I replaced my seals 3 years ago when I bought the van and have not had any problems with them. They have had various soaps and domestos on them in this time without showing any signs of problems. I use the spray lubricant from time to time. My original cassette had a calcium deposit inside it and I used the Thetford Tank Cleaner and it worked very well.

I am full timing and the toilet gets fully used. Unlike VWAlan I completely empty it every day and swill it out a number of times with clean water at each empty. If I do get a residual smell of ammonia, I wash it out with domestos and the smell goes. Otherwise I do not get unpleasant smells from the toilet in use due to the vacuum created by the SOG unit.

I carry two cassettes and rotate them from time to time. I also carry spare seals just in case I do need to replace one.

I do not believe in using chemicals for the reason VWAlan gives in his post.

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi , i also spend 6 months living in the van each year .i do use mine alot as well. should tip out like thick soup. sorry i can talk s--t all night. ha ha
    probably emptied and filled more tanks than most on this forum.
    when not on sewage drive milk tankers ,but we do wash the milk tankers out. ha ha .
    dont want to contaminate???
    cheers alan.