Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
smelly question, why does my thetford aqua IV loo smell?
should the loo hold water once it has been flushed?
the one in our 5th wheel did (not a thetford loo)
only had rv a week and the loo is bad:Sad:

does anybody know id it is possible to swap the thetford for a sealand??

Peg on my nose Ian

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the Thetford aqua 1V and it used to smell whilst travelling.
It was the paddle that was not quite closing properly.
It never smelled when parked up,just when travelling,also if you keep the roof vent open in the toilet whilst travelling that sucks up the odour from the tank.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Peg on my nose Ian

I suspect the seal (that would hold a bit of flush water in the bowl and make it air tight) has gone and 1) lets the flush water down into the holding tank and 2) air from the holding tank up into the room smelly!... Have you got any loo paper trapped in the slide?

Happened to me once...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I know it's not quite ther same but some friends have a thetford in their caravan. It had been standing for a while before thery bought it and apparently the seals had perished and the "liquid" was fillling up the area where the cassette fitted and then seeped into the cupboards - they were mortified and threw all their tinned food away that had been stored in the cupboards. They are still trying to get rid of the smell!!

OP
OP
agilityeye

agilityeye

Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
I know it's not quite ther same but some friends have a thetford in their caravan. It had been standing for a while before thery bought it and apparently the seals had perished and the "liquid" was fillling up the area where the cassette fitted and then seeped into the cupboards - they were mortified and threw all their tinned food away that had been stored in the cupboards. They are still trying to get rid of the smell!!

errrrrr:Eeek:

OP
OP
agilityeye

agilityeye

Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
i know mine isnt leaking. just smells and it is worse when traveling
will look at closing the roof vent. and look at getting new seals

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Fit S.O.G. modification and the smells will go.

Doug...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You can get for the roof a vent that sucks the smell out

i know mine isnt leaking. just smells and it is worse when traveling
will look at closing the roof vent. and look at getting new seals

Does your toilet vent to the roof? or is it an unit that has no external vent? if it is a roof vent type as on most RV's then you can get a T unit that goes on the vent pipe, it acts as a venturi and sucks the bad smells out. But making sure the roof vent is shut when moving will help.

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most RVs do not need a SOG as they are vented to the roof. Seals do wear out, I would talk to Duncan from Star Spangled Spanner, he will diagnose your problem quickly, he's being hanging around RV toilets for years::bigsmile: He is a Link Removedso you could PM him.

Link Removed for the manual for your Thetford.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You cannot fit sogs to American RVs...they are allready vented through the roof.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Not with the charcoal filter fitted inside the door cover.

With mine the charcoal filter makes no difference, but it does not bother me unless the toilet window is (cracked) open and the wind is on that side of the van, then I close the window.

Doug...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Solar plumbing vent cover for yanks $29.95

Peg on my nose Ian

I had a delivery to day from Motorhome medics of a slide out jacks and pads ... in the jack box was a catalogue by the suppliers of the Jacks...Ultra-Fab Products Inc of Elkhart, Indiana, USA. The catalogue is titled Enhanciong your RV Experiance... page 10 has a item that may well solve the proble in this post. It is a mini solar plumbing vent .. it replaces the cap on the roof from the black tank and has a tiny fan inside that is operated by a tiny solar pad on the top of the vent cover. No wiring, just replace the old vent cover with the new one and it will extract the smells in the daytime and close the fan down in the dark. item number is 53-945001. They have a e mail address of sales@ultra-fab.com and the web address is Link Removed I am sure Darren at Motorhome Medics can order you one if you ask him... OK I will give him a plug.. tele 01452 866856 he is very large on ebay under American motorhomes as a search. his web site is www.motorhomemedics.co.uk he has prove to be a reliable supplier to me for over a year now and will order odd items in if asked as sensible prices. this vent system is only $29.95 so expect to pay that at £ for $ and plus vat and some postage etc., but I am sure it will do the trick.

Might get one myself...

Ultra fab mainly does 5th wheel jacks and slide out jacks and car trailer dollies and towball racks. plus this kind of item.

Bob:Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
PUT THE CATALOGUE DOWN AND STEP AWAY:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You know it'll end up with an empty wallet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is already empty

PUT THE CATALOGUE DOWN AND STEP AWAY:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You know it'll end up with an empty wallet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is beans only at Bath & West.. the wallet is empty. I dread getting the big master catologue out, it has thousand of nice bits I could fit on my RV.

Just received some more jack pads and my slideout jack supports... do not seem to see them on RV's over here in the UK, but you do in the USA..perhaps it is the cost of shipping as they are heavy items, but they do support (not jack) the slideout so if heavy people:Blush: sit to near the window in the slideout no pressure is on the slide arms. We have also a couple of entry step jacks and boy what a differance they make. My one wish was that this RV has power jacks.. but being so small they decided not to fit them I expect, but it does need them. I have air suspension by air ride and I can put more LBS in the bellows and that helps... add the door step jacks an a botle jack under the reece hitch and now with the slide out jacks I will be rock steady (I hope) ... certainly rock steady but poor.

I wish Darren at Motorhome Medics would not send me each year the new catalogue....:Blush:

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back