Toilet question (1 Viewer)

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I am just cleaning the motorhome after returning, I am in the toilet now and was wondering of it would be a good idea to steralise the toilet tank box thing you take out, would it do it any harm to fill it with something, I don't want to damage any seals, any help would be useful :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We used to use "Milton" or one of the cheaper ones from the 99p shop..

If it`s ok for the teats on baby`s bottles and the like shouldn`t hurt the seals.. :thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I am just cleaning the motorhome after returning, I am in the toilet now and was wondering of it would be a good idea to steralise the toilet tank box thing you take out, would it do it any harm to fill it with something, I don't want to damage any seals, any help would be useful :thumb:
the wife has small hands,and can manage to get in it with cloth,why not ask the wife to do it,dont get it very clean,but by god it's fun watching her do it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
She may get her hands in but how does she get her fist out when it is clenching things? :RollEyes:

She is at work so will ask her to help when she gets home tonight :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We used to use "Milton" or one of the cheaper ones from the 99p shop..

If it`s ok for the teats on baby`s bottles and the like shouldn`t hurt the seals.. :thumb:

Hi Mo, Milton etc, are just mild bleach so if left on rubber seals it will harden and rot rubber:winky: By all means was around them but give a good rinse afterwards :thumb:
After emptying ours if leaving it stood I usually stick some bio liquid wash stuff and leave it
terry

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
:thumb:
After emptying ours if leaving it stood I usually stick some bio liquid wash stuff and leave it
terry

Agreed always do the same.

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi Mo, Milton etc, are just mild bleach so if left on rubber seals it will harden and rot rubber:winky: By all means was around them but give a good rinse afterwards :thumb:

How do you know if it's gone hard, do you put your hand down inside or can you it feel from the outside? I will get my wife to have a feel later.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How do you know if it's gone hard, do you put your hand down inside or can you it feel from the outside? I will get my wife to have a feel later.

How do I know that??? ::bigsmile: I always rinse the bleach off with clean water :Doh: so mine does not go hard :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Mine is second hand, I don't know if anyone else has been messing around with it, it could be soft and OK or it could be hard, I just wanted to know how anyone else checked theirs without sticking a camera in it :Doh: Can you service them if it is hard?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mine is second hand, I don't know if anyone else has been messing around with it, it could be soft and OK or it could be hard, I just wanted to know how anyone else checked theirs without sticking a camera in it :Doh: Can you service them if it is hard?

Seals can become hard with age but are pretty easy to replace (see Thetford Europe web site). Sometimes you can rejuvenate the seal by cleaning it with olive oil and leaving it somewhere warm where it can soften again.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I just wanted to know how anyone else checked theirs without sticking a camera in it :Doh: Can you service them if it is hard?

I have an Endiscope the connects to a PC if you want to buy it so you can check inside your box (or anything else for that matter) :ROFLMAO: I used it to find my leaking pipe!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Have you ever though of employing a man who does? he could look after your toilet and keep a keen eye on your stock of rolls.

Just a thought?

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Have you ever though of employing a man who does? he could look after your toilet and keep a keen eye on your stock of rolls.

Just a thought?
now john,i know you need a job,but your probation officer said as part of you bail condition's you are not allowed to hang around toilet's,good try though:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
now john,i know you need a job,but your probation officer said as part of you bail condition's you are not allowed to hang around toilet's,good try though:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

B*mmer still on tag, must stop hanging around toilets:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I just swill ours out with a hose pipe and leave it, it`s never been a problem in 7 years:thumb::thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Try this one for size....... . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:..... also use down and up your drains......see all miss nowt:winky:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
In the same vein .sorry but it might help you as well swift ,can you use ordinary veg cooking oil to keep the seal soft and smooth running

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the same vein .sorry but it might help you as well swift ,can you use ordinary veg cooking oil to keep the seal soft and smooth running

No, use olive oil only (or the expensive proprietary stuff from Thetford). As the Thetford user manuals & web site point out, vegetable oil damages the rubber.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back