Toilet Odour

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Hi this is Vlads wife. Having been on the road for over a week doing the West Coast of Scotland and numerous empties the toilet is beginning to pong we are using the usual stuff but is there any reason I can't put bleach down there? Thanks in advance!

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Is it possibly that, whilst the cassette is refreshed regularly, the bowl isn't being fully cleaned by flushing? Try using bathroom wipes to clean the bowl out; less chance of damaging seals &c than bleach.

3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Does that mean bleach can damage the seals?

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Quite possibly!

May we recommend a more thorough rinse and thorough shaking at emptying time?:BigGrin:

We also use biological washing liquid rather than Thetford fluid. It is much cheaper, kinder to the environment (no formaldehide) and helps keep wiffs at bay!
    The detergent action also keeps the cassette interior cleaner.

You do have to get used to the brown colour of the contents at emptying time though!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Pong

That's natures way of telling you that it's about time to empty it!:Laughing:

Seriously, ours does sometimes pong a bit after a week or so. I usually empty it and then put some washing powder or liquid in the tank topped up with lots of warm water from the shower when we move off site so it gets a splosh around when we are driving. I also wipe all around the outside and inside of the whole thing with fairy or similar solution then dry with kitchen towel. That cures the problem.

I don't think bleach is such a good idea as it may damage the seal. However, when you are not travelling, you could remove the cassette and put a bleach solution inside through the open valve just to soak for a while, them empty through the spur, that way nothing would be in contact with the seal.

6. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Thetford do a bathroom cleaner which we find effective for cleaning the toilet bowl.
    When we got our LMC the washbowl in the bathroom felt rough and was discoloured-we asked our 'Man' about it and he said that it looked as if some 'proprietry' cleaner or bleach had been used on it !!
    We got a new bowl and now only use the Thetford product.
    Thetford also do a cassette cleaner which we use at least once a year and at same time we spray the seals with Thetford Toilet Seal Lubricant.

No doubt there are other products we could use-we jsut don't know about them-yet.
    Mike

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We do the same with the cassette.

8. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I took Sundance's advice and I drink aftershave before I go, jobbie done...:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  9. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Hi Vlads wife

As your van uses water from your main tank you are not able to add the pink top tank fluid which helps to keep the toilet bowl clean and fresh, we use a household spray bottle with
    a mixture of water and the thetford pink top tank fluid, each time the toilet is used we spray this around the bowl. Serves 4 purposes cleans and freshens the bowl, saves on water use as no need to flush so much. toilet cassete does not fill up so quick with loads of flushed water, cassette seals are lubricated by the correct fluid.

Dont use bleach as this will attack the toilet material and the cassettes seals.

Hope this helps regards
    Steve:thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Clearly a northerner knows what he's on about thanx spannaman (from Bury miself). :BigGrin:

Obviously hubby not doing his job properly lol don't tell him I said that!!!!

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

The real problem here is she's full of it!!!!
    So I'll be forever emptying it.:cry::cry:

12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Never use bleach on plastics in your van it will damage them

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Over a few weeks I have noticed ours can get niffy even if its empty. I think it may be due to the pressure relief valve opening into an effectively unventilated compartment (the cassette compartment).
    Whatever the cause, taking out the cassette and giving the cassette compartment a wipe out with a spot of thetford pink and leaving the door open for a bit does the trick for another week or so.

14. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

SIMPLE`S !!
    Do not shit or piss in it NO pong :Rofl1::Rofl1:

down side It makes a hell of a mess of the bed covers :Blush:

• Like Like x 1