LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What is the best Toilet fluid to use for breaking up solids in a black tank ?

And "no" I have not got a macerator,, just a common 3" gravity discharge,,

I have only ever had a flushing Elsan/Thetford with portable tank/Cassette..

Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nowt maurice,

its in the tank long enough to breakdown naturally, not like the thetford thats full in a day or two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mo

a useful site for all things RV .. this is the page on Sewage stuff :thumb:

Macerators and Other Sewage Stuff by phred

Jim

hi Jim,

just been reading your link on blacktanks......

i also had a very serious though,

GREY tanks can and do stink from time to time, our does if we move far without emptying first.

now according to the link.....

"Aerobic" bacteria need oxygen (air) to live. These "good" bacteria decompose waste efficiently

"Anaerobic" bacteria live without oxygen. They will also decompose waste, but in doing so produce various gases. Those gases also produce "STINK."

now if you put in a dose of formaldahyde based fluid it will kill ALL bacteria, but also break down the gunge causing the stink. leave it in a few days then flush through.
make sure the tank is well vented then you should get a growth of the good stuff which DOESNT stink.

decomposition doesnt matter in the grey but the bad bacteria does, it stinks.

i'm gonna give this a try next time out. if it works then great, if not i'v lost nowt but time and a cup of blue stuff.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hi Jim,

just been reading your link on blacktanks......

i also had a very serious though,

GREY tanks can and do stink from time to time, our does if we move far without emptying first.

now according to the link.....

"Aerobic" bacteria need oxygen (air) to live. These "good" bacteria decompose waste efficiently

"Anaerobic" bacteria live without oxygen. They will also decompose waste, but in doing so produce various gases. Those gases also produce "STINK."

now if you put in a dose of formaldahyde based fluid it will kill ALL bacteria, but also break down the gunge causing the stink. leave it in a few days then flush through.
make sure the tank is well vented then you should get a growth of the good stuff which DOESNT stink.

decomposition doesnt matter in the grey but the bad bacteria does, it stinks.

i'm gonna give this a try next time out. if it works then great, if not i'v lost nowt but time and a cup of blue stuff.

Hi John

Never had a stink problem from the grey tank, there are 'P" traps on the sinks and shower, only time I've smelt it is when I use the Tote N Store .. so the traps must work ..

However, whenever possible I fit a hose, leave the slide valve open, and let it run into the hedge so no need to empty .. on this CL they have soak-away points for grey waste on each pitch which work well ..

It will be interesting to see if your idea works..

Jim

Jim

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
There is no need to add chemicals just to break down solids in a tank so it will get out of the outlet pipe. Paper breaks down in a few minutes or hours depending on the type and anything else got into the tank through a hole smaller than the outlet so there shouldn't be cause for concern. There is also more pressure getting the contents out than there was getting them in.

I have a 180 Litre black tank and it takes about 18 seconds to empty through the 3" hose.

With no chemical use, it does pay to stand on the upwind side though.

Bacterial breakdown is a very slow process so regardless of the conditions inside the tank, the normal one or two weeks in an RV black tank is not going to make much difference. Agitation while the vehicle is moving will also cause solids to break up.

Some regard the use of formaldehyde and similar bug-killers to be environmentally irresponsible and there are other "greener" products that will mask odours to an acceptable level.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John

Never had a stink problem from the grey tank, there are 'P" traps on the sinks and shower, only time I've smelt it is when I use the Tote N Store .. so the traps must work ..

However, whenever possible I fit a hose, leave the slide valve open, and let it run into the hedge so no need to empty .. on this CL they have soak-away points for grey waste on each pitch which work well ..

It will be interesting to see if your idea works..

Jim

Jim

there is a flat pan type trap in the main waste pipe but it doesnt really work. looks like a shoe polish tin.
fine when stood on site but as soon as you move the water 'seal' is broken and the stink invades the van.
took it apart and cleaned it out....had sludge in it.

leaving the drain valve open is fine if you can get away with it but i think the funsters might have something to say at the show meets. :Blush::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back