Toilet cleaning ... the bits you see! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having returned from our recent long jaunt abroad the van needs a full clean which I shall be undertaking shortly having already emptied most of it and done loads of washes! The one thing that I'm not sure of though is what's the best way to clean the toilet, I'm talking about the rim/ledge area on the outside just below the seat/lid that you can see in the below web photo (no I am NOT going to put on a photo of OUR dirty toilet!). Despite our best efforts is has got stained I don't want to scrub it or use anything that could cause damage to the surface and I know there's a Fiamma cleaning 'potion' but I'm not sure if it would shift this type of staining.

Any ideas?

toilet.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We use bathroom wipes and it keeps the ledges and crevices spotless. What I want to know is how dog hair seems to attach themselves to the loo presumably by static. However the dogs don't ever go in the toilet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We use bathroom wipes and it keeps the ledges and crevices spotless. What I want to know is how dog hair seems to attach themselves to the loo presumably by static. However the dogs don't ever go in the toilet.

Yes:D amazing ain't it, I presume we site on the hairs and obviously when we drop em they just drop into the loo;)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just use Tesco's antiseptic wipes, every now and then, and instead of flushing I spray with Dettol antibacterial surface cleanser, saves filling the cassette with water(y)
Same here but for some reason it hasn't stopped it getting stained, I don't want to use harsh abrasives on it but I'm not sure what I can use as just rubbing it gently with a wipe won't work.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've always used simple bleach once I get home, I won't use it on camp sites as damage can occur to the helpful bacteria in septic tanks, but when back home & I can rinse the toilet properly it does the trick perfectly. Doesn't do any harm at all to the toilet surfaces. Oh btw things like Harpic doesn't clean any staining away.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
http://www.towsure.com/thetford-toi...-tyTVFdrjec5XMRUdbaQXUBI7Vo3muBKbAaAiMy8P8HAQ

I use this with some kitchen roll or a floor wipe every time we empty the cassette, tends to pong a bit without a good squirt and wipe every 2 or 3 days. The paper or wipe goes in the bin bag.
Rita swears by the Thetford Toilet Cleaner too (y) and we haven't found anything yet (without a bleaching agent content), which comes close.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A thread for MH enthusiasts this one - many serious and helpful replies to a question asked late at night. :)

My usual concern at half past eleven is "dare I have another glass?"

But I can't help with the original question, our bowl is ceramic and normal toilet cleaners seem to keep it clean.

Mrs DBK is the normal toilet cleaner - I do the emptying. :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I remove the seat/cover and clean separately, then Thetford Bathroom Cleaner spray and soft cloths get the rest done. Give the inside a coating of Colinite wax ... helps everything slide down nicely.(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I found the whole seat assembly on ours just lifts out, and quite easily. Lots of little crannies and crevices for lurgies to hide. Can't say I'm that bothered about whether it stays shiny smooth or not as long as it's had a good clean.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for the info guys its not the inside/bowl but the outside of the toilet that's 'stained' which needs removing, rather than prevent it, as it's already there. I know how to remove the toilet seat etc but again that's not the issue I have.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How about using some elbow grease., the product :) Its usually pretty good. Just don't leave it on long and give a good rinse afterwards.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How about using some elbow grease., the product :) Its usually pretty good. Just don't leave it on long and give a good rinse afterwards.
Unfortunately I used up all my elbow grease yesterday afternoon giving our kitchen cooker, tiles and frying pans a good going over ... took ages! Don't suppose you've got some elbow grease to spare have you?:rolleyes:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the info guys its not the inside/bowl but the outside of the toilet that's 'stained' which needs removing, rather than prevent it, as it's already there. I know how to remove the toilet seat etc but again that's not the issue I have.
I'm intrigued to know how and with what you manage to stain the outside of your toilet so badly!:whistle:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When we were away we met a couple and got chatting about MHF. Oh I only go on it when I'm looking for help but there's some smart arses on there. They went on to say about a black streak thread and how a smart ass comment about using elbow grease was made.
What a surprised face when I went on to explain they weren't being smart but more helpful and showed them the product. :D2:LOL:

Sorry we only have the one bottle. :D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Unfortunately I used up all my elbow grease yesterday afternoon giving our kitchen cooker, tiles and frying pans a good going over ... took ages! Don't suppose you've got some elbow grease to spare have you?:rolleyes:
Ask my hubby! :cautious:
Tell him that he needs to sit, be it No1s or No2s Mel. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tell him that he needs to sit, be it No1s or No2s Mel. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Oh yes ... I can see that conversation having the desired effect! I must admit that I don't 'like' the fact that men just stand there and 'squirt', hoping it all goes in the toilet pan ... what can't be seen is the miniscule spray that goes everywhere ... its just a 'convenience' thing (no pun intended!) for men so they don't have to take their trousers down ... mind you, judging by how quick my hubby needs to get to the loo sometimes (beer has that effect on him!) if he had to 'sit' he'd probably wet himself first! :rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
As a squirty male, I find a simple portable urinal with a clip on lid saves drips, missed shots, and contains its liquid contents safely. It can be emptied either straight into the toilet, or later in a suitable place thus reducing the amount of waste in the cassette. Also I keep it under the bed at night, to save trips to the bathroom while in a sleepy state. No need for switching on the lights therefore not awakening Mrs Dorwyn.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As a squirty male, I find a simple portable urinal with a clip on lid saves drips, missed shots, and contains its liquid contents safely. It can be emptied either straight into the toilet, or later in a suitable place thus reducing the amount of waste in the cassette. Also I keep it under the bed at night, to save trips to the bathroom while in a sleepy state. No need for switching on the lights therefore not awakening Mrs Dorwyn.
One of these you mean?

:LOL:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh yes ... I can see that conversation having the desired effect! I must admit that I don't 'like' the fact that men just stand there and 'squirt', hoping it all goes in the toilet pan ... what can't be seen is the miniscule spray that goes everywhere ... its just a 'convenience' thing (no pun intended!) for men so they don't have to take their trousers down ... mind you, judging by how quick my hubby needs to get to the loo sometimes (beer has that effect on him!) if he had to 'sit' he'd probably wet himself first! :rolleyes:

If he has a habit of missing the loo I'd make him clean he bloody thing each time he went ! Then the wee won't be on the plastic long enough to stain it. He'd soon develop a good aim or at least sit while peeing.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
images_9.jpg

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Try urinal cakes, apparently a useful side effect of using them to disinfect toilets was that it improved mens' aim. Perhaps it could be a new olympic sport?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back