Toilet Chemicals

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MHVirgins, Jun 24, 2012.

1. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We were looking for toilet chemicals recently and rather than make a 70 mile round trip to our nearest dealer, we thought we would try some local caravan sites in our area to see if they sold them.
    However, we were surprised to learn that the two caravan sites that we contacted told us that they didn't sell these products because they now need a license to sell these chemicals.
    We don't know if all caravan sites will be the same, but the ones that we phoned said they weren't willing to pay for the licence required to sell them.
    Has anyone else come across this?
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  2. JJ

JJ Funster

I stopped using the horrible (and expensive) normal chemical toilet liquid after reading on here that cheap, biological washing liquid is just as good...

Much better for our world... And much much more affordable...

Been using Sainsbury's Basics Washing liquid... 99p per litre...

JJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I find it extremely hard to believe they need a licence to sell formaldahyde based produces....ie 'thetford blue' etc

and as JJ said, a good bio washing powder or tablets will do the same job at a fraction of the price of 'toilet blue'

we dont use anything other than natures way in the RV holding tanks....natural decomposition and empty into any sewer.

4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We have a septic tank at home so we fitted a SOG, no need for harmful chemicals.

5. Drew

Drew Funster

We didn't use anything until that hot weather the other week, any one remember it?. I had some blue stuff in the van from the previous owner so used that but once it is gone we will either fit a SOG or try the washing liquid/tablet route, probably the latter first, as we too have a treatment plant at home.

Drew

6. keith

keith Funster

There has been a long discussion on the motorhome list and many on there are using Formil tablets from Lidl and seem happy with the results.

I have not tried them yet as I, like JJ, have been going down the Bio Laundry Liquid route, it certainly has a more pleasant smell than the chemicals & using this doesn't put any nasties into the sewage system, & of course its freely available in most super markets. Which is what the OP was asking.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Totally agree have been using bio washing liquid for a couple of years now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Fit a SOG - don't use any chemicals and you will have saved its cost in the equivalent of about three trips to the dealer. Also completely safe to empty in any toilet or septic tank (we empty in public loos when on the west coast of Scotland - at quiet times when the public are not using them).

p.s. if you are a fairly competent at DIY, they are not difficult to fit. Just take your time and check carefully (two or three times) before drilling anything. It took me a morning, but I could do it quicker second time around.

• Like Like x 2
  9. atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Hope this helps.

:Smile:
    We started motorhoming in April for the first time and at Peterborough show
    after looking at the SOG system we bought one for around a £100 and had it installed.
    No smells, no chemicals, no problems, no running around looking for something to put into the toilet and more important never paying out for unnecessary weight or space to carry it in.
    We had read that abroad they do not like chemicals down their elsan points and as this was a German unit and we were told of the benefits at the show it seemed to make common sense.
    We decided it would be a one off payment so eventually it should pay for itself.

Atlantisbird
    Ann & Harry

• Like Like x 1
  10. sedge

sedge Funster

Spose it depends on how many times you need to empty your cassette? - which really doesn't mean anything other than if there are more than one or two of you using the loo, then it stands to reason you'll empty it more than a loner or a couple.

It seems to be approx a once a year purchase for us - but of course, we don't rally etc as we aren't available at weekends very often, so it's not like it's very often emptied when it's only half-full IYSWIM. When moving on (mainly in France) we wouldn't actually make a point of emptying prior to next stop should the cassette not be full, unless we knew there were no facilities where we were going.

11. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I too use the Bio washing liquid, usually the Tesco Value one at about £1 a bottle....

No problems....:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ven

Ven Funster

May i ask a question about the Bio liquid? If switching from thetford blue etc., can you just switch without a thorough clean of the cassette?

• Like Like x 1
  13. callumwa

Next time you empty the cassette, just give it a good rinse out as usual, then use Bio liquid instead of the Blue stuff..... no probs...:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

how much do you use?

• Like Like x 1
  15. callumwa

I generally give it a good "Glug".... at £1 a bottle it's no great expense..:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Not too much or you'll end up giving your butt a bubble bath

• Like Like x 5
  17. JJ

JJ Funster

I believe that the bio liquid works on enzyme thingies which gobble up "stuff" and multiply while doing so... Thus when you empty your cassette which is using bio liquid it doesn't matter if you don't rinse it really well because any left over enzymes just carry on working...

I understand that once the "cycle" starts it keeps going on its own and as long as you have some oxygen and you don't really need to add much more new liquid... Indeed some people with motorhomes with holding tanks don't put anything into their systems at all (other than oxygen via the vent pipe)... the only advantage of putting in "large dollops" of liquid is that it's perfume is pleasing to some...

I understand that the SOG system just sucks in some air and blows out the "fumes" (theoretically through a filter to prevent the smell annoying your neighbours...) (yeah right...)

However... the horrible blue stuff doesn't work like this at all... the horrible blue stuff is the natural enemy of the enzymes and kills them... this is why cassettes with the horrible blue stuff in them are really, really bad for sewage works and especially cess pits... this is why the horrible blue stuff is banned in more civilised motorhoming countries than Blighty...

JJ :Cool:

PS. And added bonus to using the more affordable bio washing liquid is you can always use some of it to do your washing too... (obviously not in the same "bowl"...) :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  18. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

The charcoal filter needs to be replaced - once a year if used heavily - but it is very effective in filtering smells from the SOG system. Unless that is, the user's digestive system is beyond redemption as a result of over-indulgence in, for example, Fray Bentos pies! :Eeek:

Just to clarify one common misunderstanding, not directly related to JJ's comments: the breakdown of cassette contents does not depend entirely on the SOG fan. That is there primarily to prevent smells coming back up from the cassette into the van, but it does of course promote airflow whilst in operation. The point about the SOG is that even when not in operation, the cassette is still open to the air via the vent tube (and charcoal filter) and this promotes ongoing breakdown of contents. :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  19. JJ

JJ Funster

I am going to look like a bit of a cheap skate now but around a £100 to get some air into (and out of) your cassette in the loo seems quite a high price to pay...

In the Wagon I have a porta potty... true I have only used this system for twenty odd years but a capful of liquid after each emptying and the job's done (so to speak)...

Go to go now... have to empty my cassette... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

PS. Casting snide, negative remarks about Fray Bentos Pies means automatic removal from my Christmas Card List... You have all been warned... :Sad: :)Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:)

20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Interesting thread, another ex-blue liquid user now after reading this.

Thanks guy:Smile:

Trip to get some Bio liquidy stuff, and then perhaps investigate smogs:Rofl1:

SOG: Come on this has to have a great meaning to it, right ?

Smell Odor Gone ?

Desperately trying to slip in Frey Bentos...

• Like Like x 1