Toilet chemicals/washing powder

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by batchpatch, Mar 28, 2011.

1. batchpatch

batchpatch Read Only Funster

Hi
    I have recently ben informed that you can use washing powder to substitute the toilet chemicals is this a fact and how efficent is it at breaking down the waste. Could any one who uses this method of waste disposal explane the quantity and type of powder required for each refill.

Regards
    Batchpatch.:thumb:

2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

You need a Bio preferably liquid. I use the 99p a litre bottle from Tesco own brand. 1 cap is enough for us but you will need to experiment.

The enzymes in the product help to break down the solids and you don't get the chemical smell from the conventional fluid.

We run a SOG.

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Our waste is never in the cassette long enough to have to break down. Probably because we are a family of 5 and use the loo.
    You may wonder what do you mean "use" . Well , we dont walk over to a sites conveniences ( if we are on one ) and we do number 2's in it too :Eek!:
    So its emptied every day .Ralphs favourite job:Wink:
    Some do use cheap biological stuff instead of the propper loo chemical though. Infact they swear by it.
    Though i was always lead to believe that the biological bit in a washing powder/liquid didnt work unless water reached at least 30 deg ?
    Bev

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have never used it myself but it might work if its the "Bio type" I have found that a bumpy drive for half an hour is effective but for me the bees knees is the S.O.G system.

Have a look at this http://www.soguk.co.uk/ it stop all the smells in the cubical and you don't have to wait until the cassette is full to save chemicals.

Doug...

5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

The waste leaving the human body is at 37°c. In winter my flush water is quite warm as the pipe runs beside the heating duct pipes. This ducting also warms the toilet holding tank area to prevent it freezing in winter.

Living full time in the van we also USE the loo fully. I can at a squeeze, get 36 hours out of a cassette at present as I also use it as a receptical for the contents of portable bidet.

Just had a look at the bottle and it says nothing about temperature on it.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I don't believe that adding any chemicals will aid in breaking down solids,whether propriety or homebrew.
    First of all, there simply isn't enough time for them to work, that takes several days or more.. Secondly, they are not designed to break up solids, but to mask the stench.

Black tanks in RVs don't require chemicals and indeed should NOT be added as they hinder rather than aid the natural chemical breakdown.. the stench is removed via a pipe to a roof vent.. same principal as a SOG system..

It's all down to how strong your stomach is .. add washing liquid by all means if the stench turns your stomach. Personally I've never had a problem with emptying porta potties or RV tanks.. but then again I have worked on sewage farms.. :Laughing: It's only human waste .. you soon get used to it ... :Wink:

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I TOTALLY AGREE JIM .....about the Chemicals, Bio washing liquid, and the Sog.....most of the time they are not in long enough....and they are mainly about removing the odours:Wink: ...some odours stronger than others:Eeek:.......an electric fan inside the toilet compartment would be just has good.....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Mel

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I made our own SOG :thumb: but I also belive that the wee helps break down the solids more than anything else you may add:thumb::Eeek: No time for the Loo to work it magic as it is emptied (by me) daily or at most 2 days.I useually give it a good shake/swirl before empting :thumb:
    terry

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I meant to add..

This is a popular misconception ..

Proprietary chemicals such as Thetford are designed to kill bacteria, thereby reducing methane gas and the smells .. not to aid solid breakdown ..

This MAY be an important factor if , like me, you enjoy a ciggy with your morning poo break .. methane gas, put ciggy butt in toilet ... kerrrrbooooommmm :Eeek::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: I love this thread. Who has had the misfortune not to empty their cassette in time? Horrendous! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I use it to kill/mask the smell. Don't use it when on a site for a long stay as toilet is emptied regularly. However when wilding/on Aires or on the move it does cut down on nasty smells.

Never really noticed a smell from the SOG until we put the Safari room on, so a roof vent is better than the one on the toilet compartment door. This is now an option on SOG systems.

13. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

try a bit of fray bentos down lav breaks anything down:Smile:

14. batchpatch

batchpatch Read Only Funster

Washing powder in toilet/cassett

Thanks to all for your reply's but most were of track of my original question
    can you use washing powder/liquid in your toilet cassett.
    Regards
    Batchpatch.

15. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

As direct a answer as I can give you, it is the Liquid Bio Washing Liquid you need not powder, a lot of people use it best option at 99p though I can only find the condensed liquid is to give it a go if you find it OK, if not do your washing with it, worth a try.

17. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Agreed you need the LIQUID. We pay £1.20 at Morrisons and it is brilliant, yes it does break "solids" down and pretty quick too. As a bonus it smells nice. :thumb::BigGrin:

18. sedge

sedge Funster

I will just add that modern washing detergents are designed to work on a completely cold fill, or a warmer one, so they will work in the loo.

19. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Maybe not the cheaper smart-price ones some of the posters are talking about though.
    We are going to have a Sog fitted. The chemicals we use are great when your static for a weekend , but if your driving about and somebody has been :Blush: they dont work as well.
    As for the daily swirling and shaking the cassette , Ralphs got it off to a tee.
    Its almost dance like:Rofl1:
    Bev

20. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Just curious, is that fray bentos before or after processing within, if you know what I mean??