Toilet cassette maintenance (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
The center of the toilet cassette shown in the pic looks like it should rotate and come out for maintenance? is that the case as mine doesn't won't to rotate. It may just need a bit more force but I thought I'd consult the forum first. The mechanism has got stiff and I think the seals may need replacing. Presumably this stuffs all available? Any advice appreciated.
Cassette 1.jpg

Cassette 2.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Don't think it does rotate. Never tried but....

Google thetford cassette parts diagram which should give some idea of the construction

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dolomite Pete
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
The reason to want to remove the plate is due to the mechanism becoming stiff and the seal for the operating spindle leaking a bit.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@Techno100 did a very good thread on taking his apart to clean it.

Try a search, I think he might of replaced the seals too.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Go to the Thetford website.. Lots of info on doing repairs etc..

BUT as above.. "if it aint broke etc"

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It doesn't rotate. As you are probably aware, the centre cover slides out to reveal the seal and the disc which is opened when the toilet is in use. The disc can be opened by twisting the green knob.

When the cover is removed there may be some screws visible depending on model. The two bars either side of the cover pull off and reveal more screws. Removing the screws allows the seal to be removed (and also gives access for more thorough cleaning).

Thetford sell special stuff for cleaning/lubricating the seal but olive oil is as good in my experience (not sunflower or vegetable oil or other lubricants). You may find the seal has hardened but replacing it (check eBay, much cheaper than the full kit) is easy. The original can then be rubbed with olive oil and may recover its suppleness enough to be used as a spare.

Thetford have maintenance manuals downloadable at their web site.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yep it just rotates, if you open the flap you can put your hand in to get a bit more pressure it is quite stiff.
Take a note of which way it was fitted as it can be fitted the opposite way round, this is for for LH or RH fitting.
It actually looks out of parallel in the picture, could that be why it is stiff?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It doesn't rotate. As you are probably aware, the centre cover slides out to reveal the seal and the disc which is opened when the toilet is in use. The disc can be opened by twisting the green knob.
It does rotate the older ones had screw fitting no screws on the newer ones.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
It does move.

If you look alongside the Red marker on the picture you can see an 'arrow' indentation.

Move the Red marker anti clockwise towards the Blue marker and then you can lift it off and access the interior.

It is usually stiff to move, it's supposed to be a tight fit, but if you slide the lid across it's easier to get a grip and move it round.

To spend around £60, as suggested earlier, for a new Cassette rather than spend a few minutes cleaning or easily repairing the cassette seems to reinforce the theory that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Cassette 2.jpg

OP
OP
Dolomite Pete
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
Cassette 3.jpg
Thanks to all who have replied, I put a little more force on and it rotated out easily, as you can see from the photo. Its now very easy to clean and lub the seals with with the Thetford spray which I do have. I like the olive oil advice though. Many thanks for your help guys.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Was just about to post my adventures with this very subject.

http://www.fulltiming.info/fulltiming/another-toilet-disaster

But you have got it done already so well done....

I put a new one in mine and now once every 3-6 months I strip it down and soak it in citric acid to get rid of limescale build up. I am a fulltimer so it happens quicker for me.

The stiffness is what caused my rod to break so preventative maintenance is required for my setup I think.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
The best limescale cleaner I've ever used is 2 litres of the cheapest coka cola you can find

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The best I have found and I have tried everything is Citric Acid. I use it on everything now...
You can buy it in crystal form from ebay or amazon very cheaply.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Why not get another on ebay, clean you old one and carry it as a spare. Having two cassettes gives you a sense of security that is second to none when touring. LOL

Dick

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
To spend around £60, as suggested earlier, for a new Cassette rather than spend a few minutes cleaning or easily repairing the cassette seems to reinforce the theory that a fool and his money are soon parted.
Some people are happy to clean the crud out of the inside of their toilet, others less so.

If you've spent 80 odd grand on your motorhome, spending another £60 every three or four years so as not to have to clean the rather unpleasant crud out of its innards seems a pretty rational choice to me.

Each to their own - after all, some people would just buy a whole new motorhome at that point. :envy:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
once dismantled and cleaned, place the rubber seal in a sealed plastic bag and pop it in the freezer overnight. they then return to their new state so dont leak when reassembled. much cheaper and quicker than buying a replacement

as for "crud" buildup, clean and empty as normal then pour 4 litres of own brand cola in there, close up and allow to work. i turn mine over every few hours as the cola works to clean the moving parts. next day wash it out with clean water. whatever you do when cleaning the cassette, dont be too vigorous sloshing the water end to end of the cassette. this will damage the mechanism

Reactions: GJH
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Some people are happy to clean the crud out of the inside of their toilet, others less so.
Each to their own - after all, some people would just buy a whole new motorhome at that point. :envy:

As an old fitter used to say at work,"It may be $hit to you my lad, but it's bread and butter to a plumber" :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back