Today's the day!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Gary217, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

....that we pick up our new (secondhand) camper, a La Strada Pronto. We've used a VW T5 for many trips in the uk and Europe so we're not complete beginners but we've not had a self-contained camper before so we are novices at having luxuries such as blown air heating, an oven, a decent sized settee, wash and toilet room....so, expect a few "novice" questions over the next few weeks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Nice one..try and not get to excited and make sure everything works as it should... I mean everything.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Good luck! I suggest a night or two sleeping on the drive or a short trip to somewhere close by to check everything is working, then longer trips - except this is the winter but no matter! We are off in the MH next week to Sussex (for a funeral :() then Forest of Dean and Pembrokeshire the following week. :)

Lots of info on here about the extras you might want to fit, solar, refillable gas systems, alarms, B2Bs, USB sockets, the list is almost endless! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oriel

Oriel

Very exciting! Have fun and as said above - make sure everything works before leaving the locality of the dealership

5. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks, will do...we have a long checklist and actually we're not only going to check things work, but also how to work them so there's a sort of double-checking process. Miserable day for it but apparently they do these handovers inside the workshop so at least it'll be in the dry.

6. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hope you have a great time and enjoy the learning process you will soon learn the ropes and will be helping others soon!

7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

topn tip i heard on here was video the hand over on your phone for future reference,enjoy your new van

• Like Like x 3
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Video the handover and talk through then you can play back the bits you don't remember.(y)

Edit, type faster

9. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

10. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

How cool....

Enjoy

11. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Got it home - it's been named Ruby by Sue as it does have somewhat reddish upholstery which we said we'd see if we can live with but we have budgeted for a change to something as bit less like a bordello. We'll see how that goes.

The handover was brilliant and we have nothing but the highest praise for the dealer. It was a comprehensive 2 hour plus demonstration, everything was shown and shown to be working, some great touches like...it has four new tyres - when we looked at the van I saw the tyres had plenty of tread so was happy, they spotted that the tyres had cracked a bit so changed all four, some lesser dealers wouldn't have done that. Also there's a new gas bottle, a bottle of blue loo stuff, just nice touches. There was a complete and full habitation report and damp check, little observations we had have all been addressed and the van was immaculate. Not sure if we're allowed to mention dealer names on here so I won't but, while they are not cheapest they really do care about their reputation. We've also got a three month warranty so need to take it out a few times just to make sure all's well, but it bodes well so far as it is smooth, comfy and nicely tight to drive and there's pretty well no rattles - then again we've got no pots and pans in it yet!

We do have a couple of questions already which I'll post soon but as we cannot get away in it for at least a couple of weeks there's no rush

Right, back out to sit in it (again) and have a cuppa.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

How exciting.
    You are allowed to mention good , or bad, traders.
    Why don't you camp out in Ruby tonight on your drive. Test out the heating and electrics!
    Enjoy. And welcome to the forum .

• Like Like x 1
  13. Debs

Debs Funster

Sounds lovely.....I remember the excitement and enjoy seeing it in other peoples posts......

You live in a beautiful area, plenty of places to park up for the day if you want to go out in your new toy.

Hope you have many happy travels :)

14. houdini

houdini Funster

So pleased for you, have fun! Sounds quite impressive that the dealer gave you four new tyres.

15. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

It all sounds great! Enjoy and the dealer is brilliant find a good one and you will keep returning.

16. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I had a Pronto a few years back and liked the colour my the interior!! It was a nice warm colour in a horrible cold night. Great van, I'm sure you will have many happy trips in it. As said above, please name the trader as it is good to hear of a great service.

17. Lizi

Lizi Funster

Sounds exciting - good luck with yours. We pick our first motorhome up next weekend and can't wait. I like the idea of videoing the hand over.

18. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

We agree, the red is a warm looking colour and, as the upholstery is in perfect condition, we will give it a go but do find it a bit loud - it is the only thing in the van we have doubts about.

The van came from Motorhome Dealer Group near St Leonards, Ringwood - they've got two places with one in Poole and the one we went to near Ringwood. As said earlier, their service was excellent and while we hope not to need it, we feel their back-up is likely to be good as well.

Would love any tips you may have from your time of having a Pronto!