Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
There is some anecdotal evidence that they do happen. There is little anecdotal evidence that they don't. There is some scientific evidence that they can't.

There are those who trust in Allah, and those who trust in Allah but tie up their camels. I'm interested in ways to tie up the camel.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If some one was slipped poison in their drink, which rendered them unconscious, the Police would call an ambulance and the victims would be taken to hospital for tests and observation.

When I talk to someone who has paperwork to substantiate a robbery and subsequent hospitalisation, with toxicology report, I will become more animated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What's page 3 like today?

Sorry for the delay, Chris.... and sorry about the grubby hnd marks on the photo....;)

But a man`s got to do what a man does... ;):D

Attachments

• DSC00020 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSC00020 (600 x 450).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 79

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Bet you go into the library on the way to see if "gullible" is in the dictionary :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't need to....... It is a type of seabird...

Anyway, where can I buy a gas alarm? Must have it before Malvern otherwise some nasty people might come in and steal our booze... Sorry, I meant wallet.... Pretty rough, some of these campsites, so they tell me ;)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
"Amazingly I didn't know anything had been taken until I started moving around the motor home.

"It was only when we spoke to other campers that we were told about crooks moving around the South of France and gassing people while they sleep before they take their things."

you couldn't make it up HA HA

Reactions: GJH

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
This isn't the first time I've heard about this ....i spoke to a couple in the showroom of Perthshire motorcaravans a few months back who told me this had happened to friends of theirs on the continent ...no idea if it's true or not but the couple were in there 50s quite well to do and not the type you'd expect to spin a yarn

Il be safe enough I've a couple of ex German gas masks in the van for those occasions when a little spice is required

Il just wear it every night instead :p

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
This isn't the first time I've heard about this ....i spoke to a couple in the showroom of Perthshire motorcaravans a few months back who told me this had happened to friends of theirs on the continent ...no idea if it's true or not but the couple were in there 50s quite well to do and not the type you'd expect to spin a yarn

Il be safe enough I've a couple of ex German gas masks in the van for those occasions when a little spice is required

Il just wear it every night instead :p

But yet again, its a couple who had friends that it had happened to..... But just in case, Cliff says, where did you get those gas masks....? (in his dreams) ;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
But yet again, its a couple who had friends that it had happened to..... But just in case, Cliff says, where did you get those gas masks....? (in his dreams) ;)

Can I have a couple as well? Just in case the alarm doesn't work, you see.........

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You say ... you were gassed
Riiigggghhhhtttt

Broken Link Removed

Or I put it to you;
Got ratted
Forgot to lock up
Woke up with head banging like a hookers headboard
Some work needed on the explanation needed for the insurance

The best explanation YET!!!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Ebay is an excellent source for gas masks I find the Soviet ones are best for longterm wearing ......and they come with a handy hose so you can still soon your pint up the tube

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I believe they were Brazil footy fans too- you can't believe the bad luck some people have.
I feel very sorry for them.
Cheers, Dave(y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
If they want to gas me, fine. Their problems start afterwards, when they try to push the bed up in the overhead cab with my 16st plus frame in it to get at stuff underneath. And if I've had 10 pints of Guinness and a Balti the night before they will be the ones lying on the floor in the morning. (y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I think it's time to sell the van- seems some people in ENGLAND have been gassed too!!
Anyone want an Autotrail?
Cheers, Worried from Scunny.
Alias Dave:):):):):)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Must be true. If it were the Mail reporting this, you lefty unbelievers would be screaming rape by newsprint. Is his name really 'Bob John', the photo makes him look like he's having a Bob on the John. Anyway, top marks to the Gendarme's, they must be from the same nick as Inspector Clouseau.:rofl:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well there you have it, mystery solved. They have an Elddis, prime target for Zyclon B gassers. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Why can't anyone say which gas it is, what is its use, is it toxic and life threatening, (in which case the french police should get their finger out before someone dies...) and finally, does anyone know of an alarm similar to a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm which would alert you to its presence?
the royal college of anaesthetists has no idea what miracle gas is purported to be used as it would be a real life saver

its total alarmist bulldust

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
the royal college of anaesthetists has no idea what miracle gas is purported to be used as it would be a real life saver

its total alarmist bulldust

Is it too late to cancel my order for the gas alarm?

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
So it would appear from the Mail article that, if indeed this was a gassing attack which is not proven, the thief/thieves got in through the cab door and the alarm was inadequate. Was the door left unlocked by mistake? Internal deadlocks would have sorted that, but if the door had been unlocked or the lock was of poor quality then gassing might not have been necessary.

There are stories of people who were not gassed waking to find someone rummaging around in their motorhome, or of waking up to find valuables missing, and my impression is that these are more likely to be opportunistic crimes by lone individuals rather than by crime gangs. You don't hear about attempted robberies of better protected motorhomes where the robber failed to gain access. Why do we not hear about people waking up in the morning with the symptoms of a gas attack but no valuables missing.

Again, if this is such a successful methodology by organised crime gangs why are there so very few incidents coming to light? And why would a criminal decide to go to the trouble and risk of pumping in a gas on the chance that he might then not encounter internal deadlocks or a safe or some other security he couldn't know about before deciding to have a go. If such attacks do occur how do they choose their victims? Is it only older motorhomes with weaker locks where there is a chance additional money will not have been spent on securing valuables?

If we could establish a victim profile then we could all take relevant and targeted precautions and sleep easier at night. The alternative is to stay in expensive caravan parks or simply pretend that there is no problem, with or without gas.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I keep reading threads where people are concerned that cab doors are locked to avoid robbery. I just wonder how many people know how easy certain van doors are to open with a sharpened screwdriver? the thieves know that pushing a hole through the thin tin on the door in a certain place allows them to lever the lock open in seconds almost in silence

many commercial fleets fitted protector plates to stop this

you wil never stop a determined thief, but slowing them down is the trick so they go try an easier target

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back