'TOADs'...'A' frames Proposed New Regulations ?!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davidallan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. davidallan

davidallan Funster

This Q relates to the proposed NEW Regulations/Tech spec that is to be introduced in the next 2/3 years.??

Most of us that TOW a vehicle behind our MH with the A-Frame[Braked] have most likely come across suppliers of other systems which SEEM to claim that they are FUTURE proof and will be OK with the Pending new Regulations in all EEC countries.:Doh:

WE would really like to upgrade/Renew our 'A' frame to a much more "light weight" type that are available BUT I have been unable to find the these 'NEW REGULATIONS' that may come in 2014/2015???:Blush:

ARE THEY WRITTEN YET & AGREED ?.....PLEASE Post a link IF there is one

Many thanks for any pointers...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Ha ha "A" frames are banned in a number of countries now and that number is increasing. Only way to protect yourself is to get a trailer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

100% right Roger

We had a chapter and verse copy of a letter to Mick (RVOC member) from his MEP and the Spannish Ambassidor in London.. quoting the law and the dates it came in to force. We have seen motorhomes stopped now in many countries including German and the Check Republic and Belgium.

At present the toads on sale in the UK which rely on a cable to apply the cars rear brakes do not comply with the RTA - Construction and use regulations. Much debate recently on RVOC about this. We have had all the regulations listed and regardless what some dealers will say they are not legal as they cannot be reversed and braked. It is not until you get to a fully automatic system do you get near sorting out the issues. But still not legal in europe.

Bob:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Hot POTATO anyone:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Can of Worms?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

It is actually a very good question

• Like Like x 1
  7. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

The Big Pitch Guide in very close collaboration with another member on here (Poacher) has been looking into this situation - involving Mick and Pat, Des and Ann and Bob French - all stopped for towing with an A Frame in various Countries.

Poacher has been very deep into the subject - and among other relative Authorities - has been as far as the UK and European Parliament, the Manufacturers of the over-ride brake systems, Vosa, DVLA, Uncle Tom Cobley and all. The investigation is on-going.

In essence - yes the rules will change in 2013 - but nobody yet is quite sure what they will change to.

One thing is very, very, certain - and I make no bones about it and I will not discuss it any further because it is set in EU parliament blood:

Just because the UK does not stop its citizens from towing with A frames DOES NOT (and I mean DOES NOT in capital letters) imply that you are allowed to tow with an A Frame in other Countries.

Each Country is allowed to make its own laws - and abide by them irrespective of what the current EU ruling is. For example - Spain has actually passed a law banning A Frames - and in some cases Policemen are backing up that law - but just because some do - and some don't, does not make it legal.

There is still NO proof that A frames are legal in the UK - similarly - as far as I know, nobody has yet proved that they are not legal -

Nevertheless - it has to be said and understood - just because nobody has been stopped in this Country for towing with an A Frame - does NOT make it legal to tow with an A Frame in other European Countries.

END - OF - STORY.

Dick

• Like Like x 7
  8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

-Or a caravan!:BigGrin:

Quote from the Ken Bruce show on radio 2 today, 38mins 50secs into the show-check it out on I-player 20/09/11!

" Why don't we invent a motorhome without an engine which we can tow with our car? This time next year we'll be rich I'm telling you!":Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

many a true word spoken in jest ... :Wink:

makes more sense than tugging a car :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Sorry to go off topic, but also on the Ken Bruce Show on Radio 2, they advocated towing the motorhome with your small car instead to save fuel "because some of those small cars will do 80mpg"!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Don't understand Bob, I have a Car a Tow A Frame with overrun brakes via a cable which links to the footbrake which obviously operate on all four wheels not just the rear brakes. As the servo is not operating there is a braking efficiency of around 50% which I understand meets legal requirements for braked trailers .
    Reversing is difficult but is possible for a few yards with the overrun system allowing the wheels to run free.
    My understanding from many threads on this subject is that this system is not illegal in the UK.

Larry

• Like Like x 2
  12. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Hi Larry,

Strangely, the efficiency of the brakes is not the same thing as "braking efficiency"
    All road vehicles must have a service brake efficiency of at least 50%. (C&U Regs).
    The "efficiency" referred to is measured as a percentage of the vehicle gross weight. Whilst familiar with C&U, I'm no technician, but I doubt a trailer (toad car in this case) designed to have brakes enhanced by a servo would be able to meet requirements without the servo actually working? I base this on experience of being towed in a vehicle with a dead engine, hence no servo. Brakes needed extreme pressure to have any effect.

May be wrong...over to the technicians.

Why not buy a fiver or some other sort of caravan? much more efficient combination and more living space.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

John..

Geo conducted tests with a toad on his brake rollers...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/11534-note-frames.html

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tech-mech-general/8418-physics-towed-vehicles-2.html

14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

John, I love my RV, have tugged a caravan before and would not go back. If a frames become illegal in the UK I will use my trailer for the toad. :thumb:

Larry

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hope you dont mind if i correct you on the above Bob...

a correctly fitted A frame operates ALL the brakes via the footbrake pedal, not the handbrake cable. :thumb:

if brakes are fitted then they ALL must work..

trailers/toads under 750kg do not require brakes but if fitted they too must work.

this also applies to motorbikes/trikes being towed on a towbar bracket.

16. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

This subject has been covered before and I conducted a few tests on our Mot brake rollers in response to that post
    Brake efficiency is NOT effected by the lack of, or failure of power or vacuum assistance
    Geo

AS I said, Jim, I'm not a technician.
    That being the case I wont,unlike some on here, argue a point with a qualified person.

However, if there is no discernible effect on braking efficiency with / without a servo, what's the point of fitting and testing them in the first place?
    Surely if the vehicle was type approved with a servo assisted braking system, it no longer Type / Ministers' Approval Cert if the system is inoperative?
    I cant find in C&U anything that states clearly that toad type devices are or are not permitted.

Or am I wrong? are these toad devices properly type approved, or just the subject of wishful thinking?
    Bearing in mind the manufacturer's verbal statement that it's legal is not type approval, it's sales patter.

To take the EU stance: If it dont say you cant, then you can.
    To take the UK stance: If it dont say you can, then you cant.

Usually the way of things.

No axe to grind, just interested.

17. pappajohn

braking efficiency and brake pedal effort...two totally different animals.

a none operative servo system will take considerably more brake pedal pressure to achieve the same efficiency.

the law states a certain brake efficiency percentage must be achieved....it doesnt say how to achieve it !

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, brakes on the wired aframes put the brakes on ok. servo.s just allow less pressure from your foot. the brakes have to have an automatic reverse system. a sliding hitch doesnt allow this by design. soarent really legal. air or hydraulic application with some systems are not controlled by the hitch but by the brake pedal in the towing vehicle.these systems are more likely to comply. even abroad. but if caught you have to be prepared to fight it all the way. use the dft. definition of fitting an aframe converts the toad into a trailer. i,m sure it would stand up in court. as to can you reverse one thats another issue. they can be reversed but how far and round corners again another issue.

• Like Like x 2
  19. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

That's the point I made, John.
    "Braking Efficiency" is measured as a percentage of the vehicles gross weight.(MAM, same thing.)
    An efficiency of 50% is required, which doesnt mean the brakes only have to work half as well as normal, as hinted at earlier.
    Can the "considerably more pressure" be exerted by an overrun cable to the footbrake pedal?
    Just dont see how that can be achieved without the system's servo, thats all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. pappajohn

my point as well.....a servo system isnt designed to work without the servo operating.

the old pre servo systems had bigger master and wheel cylinder bores and a completely different master cyl to wheel cyl pressure ratio negating the need for assistance.....yet producing the same or similar efficiency.
    fit a servo to an old pre servo car without changing anything else and you would lock the brakes every time you hit the pedal.

• Like Like x 2