Toad weight question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rockingdodge, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Rockingdodge

Rockingdodge Read Only Funster

My 'home gives me an allowable towing weight of 1200kgs. Now looking for a suitable toad to replace my Smart and trailer also my Scenic do I take the kerbside weight or do I need to add in any allowance above that?

Thanks

Roger

2. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

if you have a towing limit of 1200kg that means the car,a frame ,anything in the car, inc fuel whatever is in the boot, etc must not weigh more than 1200 kg in total.hope this helps. steve.:thumb:

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

interesting question, because if it was a trailer you were towing it would be the maximum allowable mass. But your towing a car, which unless its suddenly a trailer will have a higher mass in running order than you need

4. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Having been here myself you will find that limits your choice big time I was amazed at the weights of some of the estate cars

5. Rockingdodge

Rockingdodge Read Only Funster

Just checked what Kerbside weight includes and it does include 90% fuel.
    Due to back problems I'm looking for a vehicle that has a reasonable 'sit up and beg' seating which will make it easierfor me and the missus to get in and out.
    So at present my thoughts go with a Renault Modus or similar.
    The kerbside weight for this is 1120 to 1200 dependant on model.
    Having a Renault Grand Scenic I like the car but maintenance costs are high but I don't know what other makes compare.
    Oh so much to think of, my head hurts :cry:

Roger

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as a car being towed behind another vehicle technically becomes a trailer, and like any other trailer the weigh for VOSA (roadside checks) is the VIN plates gross weight of the car...whether fully loaded or empty...it matters not either way.

so, at 1200kg you will be limited to a small hatchback like a Vauxhall corsa/Nissan micra.

my old ('97) Corsa 'toad' had a kerb of 860kg and a gross weight of 1140kg....just inside your limit.