Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My tip of the day...

If you have a toad on a trailer, this may be of help to some, I have found it to be priceless.

And cost less than £10 quid.

Most modern cars have a bit on the front where you screw/insert a "Towing" eye..

This is what I have done (See Pictures).. it has made manouvering my car and luggage trailer a doddle in the confined area around my home.. It was invaluble on a couple of sites we where at over the last few weeks..

Park trailer up with Car on remove car and fit (Photo`s) park RV on pitch then easily manouver trailer alongside Rv or park trailer where needed..

So much easier than hooking trailer on the car if you had a tow bar..

And as most towing eyes are not central to the car it means you can look down the side of the trailer and park exactly where you want it..

The only outlay is for a 50mm ball with thread.. Under a tenner..

If your car has not got a removable towing "Eye".... Tough..

Attachments

• DSCF1788.jpg
    DSCF1788.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF1789.jpg
    DSCF1789.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1790.jpg
    DSCF1790.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1791.jpg
    DSCF1791.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF1793.jpg
    DSCF1793.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 76

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Good idea Mo. I used to have one on the front bumper of my old Doge Ram.
Had it on one side of the bumper and it made light work of shunting twin axle trailers and caravans around.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Good bit of as they call it nowadays thinking outside the box

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
had that on Land Rovers for years

I have had a front tow bar on a Land Rover for many a year.. nothing new.

Mo is good at painting John.. he is painting all the screw heads in his house with black paint. very sad...

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I see from your pic you are a novice tow bar fitter Mo:RollEyes:
They usually go on the rear of the car:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Seriously a Word of warning I don't want to p**s on your parade But
The AA, Rac and the like including ourselves,
No longer use these fittings for recovery winching:Sad:
Too many failures (snapped eye bolts) have resulted it their use for, other than straight line very short distance towing being prohibited,
I was very very surprised to see A frame manufacturers now modifying these for A frame use:Eeek: Never in a 1000 lifetimes would I or anyone with recovery experience use these mountings
I suggest you keep steering manoeuvres to a minimum, and never rely solely on this method to control your trailer on any down hill areas, and fit a brake away cable if at all possible:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I have had a front tow bar on a Land Rover for many a year.. nothing new.

Bob:thumb:

Ah.... but it is the inovated way I put it on my towing Eye.. any body can drill a hole in a lump of metal and bolt a ball hitch to it.. :RollEyes::Smile:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I see from your pic you are a novice tow bar fitter Mo:RollEyes:
They usually go on the rear of the car:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Seriously a Word of warning I don't want to p**s on your parade But
The AA, Rac and the like including ourselves,
No longer use these fittings for recovery winching:Sad:
Too many failures (snapped eye bolts) have resulted it their use for, other than straight line very short distance towing being prohibited,
I was very very surprised to see A frame manufacturers now modifying these for A frame use:Eeek: Never in a 1000 lifetimes would I or anyone with recovery experience use these mountings
I suggest you keep steering manoeuvres to a minimum, and never rely solely on this method to control your trailer on any down hill areas, and fit a brake away cable if at all possible:thumb:
Geo

Comments noted Geo... I only use it for shunting in my drive or on site, and most are on the flat...

I find that even with a twin wheel trailer hard work for an old fart like me.. :cry: even wanking the jockey wheel hard up to lift front wheels off the ground.. :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not knocking the idea at all MO:thumb: And fully understand the reasons for it, May even make one myself, will paint it a different colour though dont want to be accused of trademark violations :Cool:
The byword or words are Dont rely soley on it and you'll safe as houses:thumb:
Geo

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
It is an idea
not sure if it is good idea or NOT
i tow with a brake buddy not had any problems with this system :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Never knew Mo was so handy with paint, glad it's black as thought he only used PINK:Eeek:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
It is an idea
not sure if it is good idea or NOT
i tow with a brake buddy not had any problems with this system :thumb:

Tow? Brake buddy? :Eeek:

I think you're completely missing the point Old Mo is making.

He isn't TOWING with it .....

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Ah.... but it is the inovated way I put it on my towing Eye.. any body can drill a hole in a lump of metal and bolt a ball hitch to it.. :RollEyes::Smile:

At least I, for one, appreciated that what you were suggesting is the use of the front tow-eye fitting of a tow ball - you were not suggesting that you were the first to have the idea of a front tow ball .....

A good idea, Old-mo - and I'm sure if it was designed to withstand the weight of the car whilst being towed, it will be more than adequate for the low tech, low speed and unstressful use that you will be putting to it. From some of the replies you'd think you were going to do a high speed drive in reverse over the Alps ...... :RollEyes:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
At least I, for one, appreciated that what you were suggesting is the use of the front tow-eye fitting of a tow ball - you were not suggesting that you were the first to have the idea of a front tow ball .....

A good idea, Old-mo - and I'm sure if it was designed to withstand the weight of the car whilst being towed, it will be more than adequate for the low tech, low speed and unstressful use that you will be putting to it. From some of the replies you'd think you were going to do a high speed drive in reverse over the Alps ...... :RollEyes:

You have hit the nail on the head.Thanks :thumb:.. With the twin axle trailers I shunt around there is very little weight on the ball, it just makes life a lot easier to manouver in confined spaces...

The car I have fitted it to is the car that I normally carry in the trailer...

A Peugeot 107.... and doubt it would do 80 on the flat solo... :winky:::bigsmile:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
You have hit the nail on the head.Thanks :thumb:.. With the twin axle trailers I shunt around there is very little weight on the ball, it just makes life a lot easier to manouver in confined spaces...

The car I have fitted it to is the car that I normally carry in the trailer...

A Peugeot 107.... and doubt it would do 80 on the flat solo... :winky:::bigsmile:

So that's why the proposed increase of motorway speed limit would have no interest for you then, eh? :roflmto:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Having spent far too long in the recovery trade, I accept the reservations of some regarding this towing point, but, as long as the point is checked regularly, the towong/pushing is only done of the flat for very short distances, I doubt there will ever be a problem.
If anyone has a toad on a traler, and does not want to use the above method, caravan movers do fit on trailer::bigsmile:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
We had looked at that possibility..

But weighed up the cost and needing an on-board battery etc...

decided to try the towing eye, for the odd occassion it would be used...

A lot of sites we with larger yank RV`s use are OK to move a trailer on the back with the RV, it`s the odd occassion and around my home that was the problem..

I`ve tried and used it a good few times and it works, more to the point it is a lot easier to push the trailer where you want and see where you are putting it than to tow and reverse as is the norm.

Especially my Covered trailer (Pod), with my wife giving instructions..

Although I do know after 45 years marriage that if she says left hand down a bit, I know she means right hand, and if she says a few inches there is about twenty foot.. :Doh::winky:::bigsmile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No, no Mo. Don't blame Judy. It is the MEN that don't know what a few inches means and call it more. :Blush:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
No, no Mo. Don't blame Judy. It is the MEN that don't know what a few inches means and call it more. :Blush:

.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think you had better log off and go to bed Joy....

Yoom going to get some stick from the men folk when they read that.. :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back